01-27-2015, 04:33 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
My first shave with the new iKon Slant-based razor on Sunday went so smoothly, I decided to try it with a blade in it the next time.  

O.k., I exaggerate.  I ordered the iKon head and the Maggard razor at the same afternoon hour on Sunday, January 18, and the next day was a federal holiday, so I knew that it would be at least the end of the week before I held the razor in my hand.  In the event, the iKon head arrived (from Austin, TX) on Thursday and the Maggard razor arrived (from Adrian, MI) on Saturday, both by USPS.  At the time I placed the orders, I was on the fifth shave of an Iridium Super blade, and I knew from prior experience that I usually get six shaves from one of those blades.  On Mondsy, I completed the sixth shave on the blade, and then, for good measure, I squeezed a seventh shave out of it on Tuesday; but I did not throw the blade away just yet.  I kept it out and dry, and shaved with my Feather MR3 neo on Wednesday through Saturday, so that the first shave with the new razor would be with the known quantity of a very tired blade.  But I get ahead of myself, so let me return to the new razor:  

[Image: SNCww70.jpg]

The Head:  I had ordered an iKon Stainless Steel Slant DLC "Blem" directly from the iKon site.  I have a lot of experience with ordering blems, and they have been predominantly positive.  In most cases, the blemish is merely cosmetic, and I am a function-over-form kind of guy.  I do not generally give tours of the medicine cabinet to our guests, and when I shave in the morning, coming out of the shower, I am close to bare nekkid, so a cosmetic flaw in my razor is of no concern to anyone but myself.  This iKon DLC head, when I inspected it, appeared more likely to be a used (warranty return?) item than an end-of-manufacturing reject, as the visible blemishes (more than one) were some missing DLC coating at the corners of the top cap and the base plate at the respective narrow gap ends of the two sides of the razor:

[Image: qPSPACe.jpg]

In addition, there appeared to be some dried-on soap on the parts.  Because shaving sometimes involves some blood flow, I first sterilized the razor head:  I soaked the two parts in detergent for three hours, then boiled the parts in a pot at a rolling boil for a few minutes, and then, for good measure, immersed the parts in 3 percent hydrogen peroxide for another three hours.  Then I was ready to go.  As for blade loading -- apparently an issue with some iKon Slant users -- I just put the eighth-shave Iridium Super into the inverted cap, bowed the blade down into the cap with a fingertip at one end, and layered on the baseplate from the other end, with no attempt to fuss about alignment.  Que sera sera.

The Handle:  In another thread, I related how I cleaned the gunk (residue of the screw-thread drilling process) out of the brand new Maggard MR5 handle, and, once the hole into which the head post screws had been cleaned, the very long screw post of iKon Slant DLC head screwed smoothly into the MR5 handle.

This assembled sucker is HEAVY!  Your Reporter does not boast a library of experience with other DE razors.  In fact, this iKon-Maggard Frankenrazor is only the second DE razor that I ever have touched in my life (if one rightly discounts my unscrewing the Maggard head from the MR5 handle as not really counting as a touch of a third DE razor).   The only other DE I ever have touched is the one that I have been using every day, seven days a week, since the end of April 2014, excluding days when I was traveling out-of-town, when I carried only a cartridge razor with me -- that is, the Standard Razors razor that I have used for about 240-250 shaves in the past nine months.  That Standard Razors razor is propping up the head end of the new Frankenrazor in the first photo above; it is made entirely of aluminum, whereas the iKon head and the MR5 handle both are made entirely of steel.  Steel is denser than aluminum, and that is reflected in the heft of the two assembled razors.  Initially, to my hand experienced only in handling the light and lively Standard Razors razor, the iKon-MR5 razor felt like a sledge hammer in my hand.  However, the 85 mm MR5 handle, despite being about 5 mm shorter than the Standard Razors razor's 90 mm handle, balanced the massive iKon Slant head perfectly; the assembled razor feels more like a balance beam than like a blackjack.

A factor in my purchase of the first razor was Michael Ham's (leisureguy of the Later On blog) expressed affection for the Standard Razors product.  Before purchasing the iKon Slant DLC, I had done a lot of research on-line, and there had read of Mr. Ham's experiences with the iKon Slant, as well.  He had nicked himself a few times using the iKon Slant stainless steel razor.  Therefore, it was with great trepidation -- VERY great trepidation -- that I undertook my first shave with the Frankenrazor Sunday morning.  Mr. Ham had written that his nicks came about because he inadvertently had applied some pressure with the iKon Slant, when properly he should have applied no pressure.  So, after lathering up with my Mühle STF v2 23 mm brush and Provence Santé Green Tea shaving soap,  I shaved with almost no pressure -- the least that my inexperienced hand could achieve.  

The iKon Slant DLC head is noisy.  
The Standard Razors razor is notorious for giving a lot of audible feedback; I like that about it.  
The iKon Slant DLC is an order of magnitude noisier.  I like that about it.  

Applying as close to zero pressure as I could, I completed two passes with no cuts, no nicks, and no bleeders.  But, honestly, the shave was not all that close at that point.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I ran a third pass with the Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor, resulting in a BBS shave, but not entirely the iKon-MR5 razor's doing.  

Monday and Tuesday mornings, I have shaved with a new Iridium Super blade in the iKon-MR5, and did not find it necessary to invoke the finishing touch of a pass with the Feather MR3 neo either time.  Both were excellent, close shaves: the three shaves with the iKon-MR5 razor were the equivalent of pitching 27 innings of baseball with no batter reaching base: no cuts, no nicks, no bleeders at all in three days. But the second and third shaves, the all-iKon-MR5 ones, were short of BBS.  My tentative prediction is that the Standard Razors razor will be seen on the ShaveNook B/S/T Forum sometime in the near future; but a mere three shaves with the iKon-MR5 Frankenrazor suggest that it is too early to come to a final decision yet whether the Standard Razors razor is superseded.  I'll report further in this thread when I have a richer database for observations.

0 1,049
 01-27-2015, 08:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
[DELETED]

0 1,049
 01-27-2015, 09:34 PM
User Info
Great to hear you had success with the shaver!  Smile

82 21,056
 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
Five days and five shaves with the Slant
Having shaved with the iKon DLC Slant for five consecutive days now, I am experiencing none of the "I need to give it a rest" syndrome that I have read about others experiencing when they started to shave with slant razors.  Moreover, in some respects, I am working on a very good string:  
  • No cuts;
  • No nicks; and
  • No weepers.

So far.  

The shaves are as close and as smooth as my shaves using the Standard Razors razor have been, but, except in one respect, they have been no closer, no smoother.

With the Standard Razors razor, I always have had trouble getting the Howdy Doody lines
[Image: pOFUVtB.jpg]
shaved all the way down to the skin level, a problem I never experienced when shaving with cartridge razors.  I am fortunate in that, even at my age, my face is free of creases and wrinkles -- that is, I do not really have Howdy Doody lines -- but the whiskers in the area on both sides of my chin directly downward from the outer edges of my mouth seem more resistant to getting fully whacked than the whiskers of other parts of my beard.  The iKon DLC Slant seems to whack those specific whiskers better than the Standard Razors razor does using the same brands of blade.  On the converse side, perhaps because the angle of the blade differs from the angle of the razor, I am finding it more difficult to get a clean line at the bottom of my sideburns with the DLC Slant than I do with the Standard Razors razor.  

Also, though I only very occasionally achieved a BBS shave with the Standard Razors razor, in my limited five-shave experience with the DLC Slant, I have achieved a BBS shave only once, on the first shave, and that was done by making a third pass (after two passes with the DLC Slant) using a Feather MR3 neo instead of the iKon DLC Slant on the third pass.

The learning adventure continues . . .

0 1,049
 02-27-2015, 12:55 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
My first shave with the stainless steel iKon DLC Slant was January 25:  that’s 33 days ago as I write this, and I have shaved with it every day but two (those two days I used the Feather MR3 neo razor) since then, so it seems I have 32 shaves under my belt (no, that's not right for a razor; let's call it “shaves on my face”) for the iKon Slant.  Today -- the 32nd shave -- was the first time that I have committed a weeper since I started using the iKon Slant.  I do not maintain a log of nicks and weepers, but I am pretty sure that I experienced more than two weepers during my last 32 shaves using the Standard Razors razor and the same rotation of Gillette Silver Blues, Iridium Supers, and KAIs that I have used for the first 32 shaves with the iKon Slant.  The Standard Razors razor is a “forgiving”razor, and those last 32 shaves were building upon a prior seven months of learning and using it, so the reduction in misses with the hitherto unfamiliar iKon Slant is all the more remarkable.  

Given that the iKon is better than the Standard Razors razor at mowing down the stubble in the most difficult areas like the Howdy Doody strip below both ends of my mouth, it is hard to imagine a circumstance that the Standard Razors razor ever will re-enter the rotation.  (I do plan to play around with rsilvers’s  3D printer-generated razor next week, however.)  

The iKon DLC Slant is a winner; too bad iKon apparently does not make it anymore.  

0 1,049