01-27-2015, 07:28 PM
User Info
i am growing my hair back out not super long but maybe chin-top of shoulders. and man do i loose a lot of hairs every day. ive been to 2 different derms thinking it might be mpb but they both said no and did a scalp test (under a microscope not sure what its called) and found nothing and did the normal pull test and she got one hair and the other derm got 2 they both said normal. i do not show a mpb pattern other then just really a normal "mature" hairline with a bit of a peak now as i get older. on a chart i would say maybe a norwood 1 at most. my hairline is for sure thinner then its been before though.

basically every shower i drop a good 30-50 hairs unless im really gentle with my hair (like super gentle) but if i get in and really soap up my hair i loose even more. but literally every time i use a comb i get 2-10+ hairs. i could comb 20 times a day and hair will come out every time. run my fingers through ill get one or two every time. i would guess im nearing 150-200 a day overall.

anyone have any experience with this or dealt with it that knows if this can be normal. both derms said someone should not loose that much hair but then tell me im not balding at all? my hair grows super fast (had an almost shaved head april of 2014 and now its almost shoulder length)

note: i dont want this to become a medical advice thread im just looking to see what you guys experience and what might be normal for others loss wise

16 660
 01-27-2015, 08:39 PM
User Info
I had hair down to almost my waist about 2 years back.  I would lose some hairs and it seemed like a lot because they were soooo long.  I didn't lose as many as you OP.  Maybe 10-15 per day.  In the 100's seems excessive.  Do you wash it everyday?  Long hair needs more TLC.  Maybe wash it every other day.  Don't blow dry it or use a rubber band to put it in a tail.

3 218
 01-28-2015, 10:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

If I pull my hair (think spiral ringlets) straight it goes below my waistline...

My sister is a (high-end) professional hairdresser (still living in the UK).

According to her, the average scalp hair loss is somewhere in the 100 to 150 hair range per day -- which is considered perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Unless someone is experiencing serious hair loss, people with long hair tend to notice hair loss a lot more, simply due to the fact the longer hair is (much) easier to see...

I honestly have no clue how many scalp hairs I lose per day. When I wash my hair (maybe once a week) I notice (see) a LOT! of hair loss -- think huge! hand full I have to place in the bin afterward.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM
User Info
thanks for the info. im hoping thats all it is. but yeah if i wash it then comb it and collect all the loose ones so they dont go down the drain i have a good amount its like scary. when i started to see so much hair i got a bit worried. i would rather try to prevent further loss sooner than later. just dont want to take fin unless i have to. and wow how long did it take to grow that long? longest mine ever got was about mid back and that did take a good while.

16 660
 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-28-2015, 07:46 PM)mastershake Wrote: and wow how long did it take to grow that long? longest mine ever got was about mid back and that did take a good while.

Hi

Difficult to say, as I have been growing my hair (long) since I left school...

Obviously I have had it cut (trimmed) many times during that time and until I finally *only* let my sister cut (trim) it, I had to stomach some hairdressers cutting far too much off...

Anyway, if I had to guess, maybe 10+ years. My scalp hair doesn't appear to grow that fast, compared to my facial hair...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-12-2015, 10:37 PM
User Info
Mastershake, I really felt like when I started using the Acca Kappa Pure Bristle hair brushes, it was very beneficial to the health of my hair. My hair was just passing below my shoulders in length. It is very soothing the scalp and it helps get rid of tangles long term.

79 1,339
 03-12-2015, 11:52 PM
User Info
mine has been a bit better after trying some other shampoo and conditioner. along with some added vitamins but still way worse than it should be imo. both derms still say nothing is wrong but my hair is def a lot thinner than a few months ago. its now past my shoulders by a few inches in the back and about chin length in the front. i dont pull it back except for tae kwon do class since we are supposed to while in class. im at a loss with it now and not sure what else to try. appreciate the response!

16 660
 03-13-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
I'm jealous..my hair is thinning out so I just buzz it as low as it'll go without using a razor every few weeks.  Tongue

40 5,830
 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
i have nothing at all against shaved heads but for me i want hair lol. thats why this is driving me crazy, even looking into the new transplant methods for the hairline for the future

16 660
 03-19-2015, 03:12 PM
User Info
(03-13-2015, 05:55 PM)mastershake Wrote: i have nothing at all against shaved heads but for me i want hair lol. thats why this is driving me crazy, even looking into the new transplant methods for the hairline for the future

whatever makes you happy!

best of luck with the hair stuff...

40 5,830
 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
I can't help out.  After twenty years in the U.S. Air Force and retired many, many years later, I still have an "Ollie North" cut.  However, at 67...no hair loss...not as blond as it once was but a nice, distinguished blond/gray mix. Biggrin

Ed

22 752
 03-22-2015, 04:53 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
mikeperry's note made me feel a lot better, as I was emphathizing with mastershake. Now I know it's normal! Sure my hair has thinned as I aged, but I was always wondering why I always lost a bunch of hair every time I showered. A few years ago I made a switch to shampoo bars, and the results have been fantastic. The hair is clean and lively, plus when traveling, there's no liquid to check. Last summer I added the hair tonics from Jeris and Clubman-awesome stuff. 

19 742