01-28-2015, 05:56 AM
  • Mr1911
  • Ex-Lurker
  • West Tennessee
User Info
Okay. I should probably answer that question with a definite Yes. But, does anyone else have to switch soaps/creams often to continue to get a good shave?

I have a couple dozen now that have provided mixed results. Some have worked great for me - Maggard, Razorock, C.O. Bigelow, Synergy. But it seems like after a while, the quality of my shave deteriorates. I switched around with those I mentioned and then tried Jack Black Beard Lube (no brush - not as enjoyable). Anyway, the Jack Black has been working fantastic for a couple months. Now, all of a sudden, it doesn't seem to be doing so great. I think I'm going to lather up some Maggard tomorrow.

Does anyone else experience this? Does my face just need a change periodically?

0 3
 01-28-2015, 06:33 AM
User Info
I get bored if I use one product for any length of time. Maybe that is happening to you and being translated into a less than stellar shave? Just grasping at straws here.

32 6,458
 01-28-2015, 06:42 AM
User Info
i rotate them around daily along with my brush and razor and A/S.

0 189
 01-28-2015, 07:25 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
I like to rotate soaps and creams because I have so much and because I enjoy the variety. Now whether that translates into better shaves, maybe, maybe not. But it sure is fun doin' it!

0 76
 01-28-2015, 07:29 AM
User Info
well - i'm an odd one at the shave nook, because i don't like variety: i like the same soap, brush, razor and blade every single day - and that was always my goal when i tried out all kinds of shaving related tools/paraphernalia: to find one really good of everything, and stick to that. every shave and day will become a bit different anyway. i don't understand you guys when it comes to variety - variety makes me restless.

7 1,624
 01-28-2015, 08:11 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 07:29 AM)tonsorius Wrote: well - i'm an odd one at the shave nook, because i don't like variety: i like the same soap, brush, razor and blade every single day - ...
i don't understand you guys when it comes to variety - variety makes me restless.

Interesting. It certainly is a way to get lost for me... Lightbulb

21 1,175
 01-28-2015, 08:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We can change everything but the hand that holds it all. Perhaps " familiarity breeds contempt" Wetshaving is driving a vintage car with non synchromesh gears, no onboard computers and the ability to break the rear end on a corner. You have to be the DRIVER, not someone along for the ride.

2 3,171
 01-28-2015, 11:56 AM
User Info
I have been using one soap, principally, for over 3 years, so............ Biggrin

82 21,077
 01-28-2015, 12:02 PM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 11:56 AM)celestino Wrote: I have been using one soap, principally, for over 3 years, so............ Biggrin

what a looong lasting puck 24

7 1,624
 01-28-2015, 04:53 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-28-2015, 07:25 AM)tave Wrote: I like to rotate soaps and creams because I have so much and because I enjoy the variety. Now whether that translates into better shaves, maybe, maybe not. But it sure is fun doin' it!

+1!

7 2,121
 01-28-2015, 09:49 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I like to rotate razor,  brush, blade, and soap/cream every three shaves. That is how often I change blades and I change every thing else too.

2 128
 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM
User Info
I think that I was experiencing the same thing when I began DE shaving. I switched things around and tried different techniques and angles - sometimes successful, sometimes not.
The turning point for me came when I read a post about using an alum block after shaving - not just to handle weepers and nicks, but as a skin conditioner. The post talked about the alum actually making the beard easier to shave for the next time, and less prone to nicks and weepers. I tried it and, within a week, I noticed a big improvement. The next step to improve my shaves involved switching to cold water shaving. I've been CWS exclusively for several months now and it too seems to help prep my whiskers for easier cutting.
Maybe it's all in my mind, but the test will come when I have a bit more time with these two techniques, and then stop using the alum and switch back to hot water. If I don't notice a return to mediocre shaves, then I'll know it was all in my mind, or that I've simply gotten better at shaving.

Experiments like this help to keep shaving fun for me, and I fully expect it will confirm my suspicion that there are just some days when I'm not gonna get a BBS. It wouldn't be life without the ups and downs.
Euro

5 395
 01-29-2015, 01:00 AM
User Info
I switch it around every day.  I used to be indecisive but now I just don't know.

0 30
 01-29-2015, 05:35 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Since I started using noxema as a pre shave before every pass, witch hazel post shave and cold water shaving, my shaves have become more smooth and stable. With these constants it seems that I can use whatever other components I want changing them at will.

0 76
 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM
User Info
I simply go off of feeling.

1 1,975
 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 07:29 AM)tonsorius Wrote: well - i'm an odd one at the shave nook, because i don't like variety: i like the same soap, brush, razor and blade every single day - and that was always my goal when i tried out all kinds of shaving related tools/paraphernalia: to find one really good of everything, and stick to that. every shave and day will become a bit different anyway. i don't understand you guys when it comes to variety - variety makes me restless.

I'm still trying to find my "keepers".  I keep changing my mind.

0 284
 01-31-2015, 08:44 AM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
I used to rotate daily...mostly creams...but since I started using Mitchell's Wool Fat about a month ago it's all I want to use...I don't know is it's the lanolin or the tallow or what, but it just feels so awesome on my face and the post shave feel is like nothing else I've used.....and it seems the more I use it the better my face feels.

0 62
 01-31-2015, 08:55 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Find what works for you and stay with it. No harm in that. Some folks just like variety.

0 76
 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 06:33 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I get bored if I use one product for any length of time. Maybe that is happening to you and being translated into a less than stellar shave? Just grasping at straws here.

This would be my best guess also.

0 33
 02-02-2015, 11:34 AM
User Info
To respond to the OP's question, I cannot for the life of me imagine that using the same shaving soap constantly would lead to less than perfect results. I would look to the blade first, technique second. (or the other way around)

39 3,918