01-28-2015, 09:55 AM
User Info
i used the fern scent version but not the original. is it something similar to b&m lavanille or in that area? im not a fan of lavender but how much like lavender does it really smell? ive been wanting to try it out but im thinking i may just not like the scent of it.

thanks

16 660
 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I don't consider the original to be a straight-ahead lavender scent; it's got some rosemary perhaps, mixed in. For a straight-ahead lavender scent, that would be B&M black label lavender and Castle Forbes lavender.  But the MdC still has a nice lavender scent, albeit on the subtle side (to me), so if you're not a lavender fan, then chances are you won't like it. BTW, it doesn't smell anything like B&M Lavanille, IMO. 

13 646
 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
I've been to local lavender fields. It smells like lavender. In fact I think it's the only one I like since it smells like the real thing.

12 1,247
 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-28-2015, 11:21 AM)insomniac Wrote: I've been to local lavender fields. It smells like lavender. In fact I think it's the only one I like since it smells like the real thing.

I agree.

175 23,752
 01-28-2015, 01:28 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Lavender + Rosemary + Benzoin (Camphor-like)

I liked the scent. Unfortunately it irritated my skin.

17 535
 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
The first thing you need to understand is that lavender has a number of different scents.

First, there's a very floral, sanitized version that is used in many women's products.

Second, there's an in-between kind of scent that is partly floral and partly herbal; to my nose this is an outstanding scent. The earthiness of the herb part of the scent tones down the floral a bit and makes for a pleasant scent.

Third, there's a raw, very herbal, almost medicinal lavender. To my nose, that's the lavender portion of MdC.

Add to that a significant hit of herbal rosemary, and the "floral" side of lavender is virtually undetectable, to my nose.

Finally, MdC has a resinous, benzoin-like fragrance that is quite strong. I hate to say this, but to me it reminds of the smell of formalin that was used to preserve the bodies for anatomy class when I was in medical school. I'm not the only one who thinks this aspect of MdC's scent is overbearing and unpleasant, but we are certainly in the minority.

In other words, put me down as one who dislikes the scent of original MdC, but it's not because I don't like lavender scents. If you got it and didn't like it, I don't think it would be because you don't like lavender scents, unless you've smelled real raw, earthy lavender scents in the past and didn't like them, but I'm betting you've smelled really floral lavender scents and didn't like them, and MdC doesn't smell anything like a floral lavender.

2 1,397
 01-28-2015, 03:40 PM
User Info
I would have to agree with kingfisher and cmh8890. It isn't a straight lavender scent and it is a bit more overwhelming, for me. I just didn't appreciate the scent for some reason. I have tried a few Lavender scents and this isn't one of them that has pleased me.
Good luck and the only real way you will ever know is to try some; get a sample if you can as this would be the best way to go about it!

82 21,056
 01-28-2015, 04:30 PM
User Info
does anyone have samples available? the fern is pretty okay for me but i have never smelled the regular and i hate to buy a full tub and hate it. i know i could sell it pretty easy but why go through that if i dont need to

16 660
 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
The regular is my favorite the scent that is most primary to my nose is a rosemary and mint its divine 

23 598
 01-28-2015, 10:15 PM
User Info
It's a mix of lavender mint and Rosemary, not a floral scent as the gentlemen above mentioned. More earthy than anything. I love it personally but it's a taste thing. It's overwhelming but yet not annoying. I leave the glass jar open and my whole bathroom smells great. Good luck

22 187