01-28-2015, 11:58 AM
User Info
So I have been wet shaving a few days over a month and I am getting pretty bad razor burn on my neck. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to prevent this. I get super close shaves on my face and haven't nicked it yet. My technique on my face Is with grain, across and against. And then a clean up pass. My neck is harder to have a technique , the hair grows up down side to side all over the place. But I just go 2 passes on it just cause it's a lot more sensitive. I shave  down and across on it.
Any blades I have tried has left me with razor burn but here is what I have used
Murker 34 
Persona blue 
7 oclock green
Wilkerson sword

I tried my merkur 3 piece long handle I think 180 but didn't like it.

Anyone have advice?

2 18
 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
User Info
really watch your pressure.  I have two great razor burn solutions but pricey.  murad razor rescue and origins fire fighter.  most old fashioned cold creams do a good job too ie Ponds.

73 1,262
 01-28-2015, 12:33 PM
User Info
You weren't kidding that stuff is expensive! I think il try pressure first. 

2 18
 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM
User Info
I have been wet shaving for about 6 years now and just simply can't get BBS on my neck regardless of pressure or products used without inflicting razor burn.

2 light passes with the grain and that is all I can do without irritation.

My neck hair also grows in every direction so when I say 2 passes with the grain I really mean the path of least resistance which for me is from my Adam's apple to my chin.

You can find your path of least resistance also by rubbing your finger (or even better a Kleenex tissue) in each direction and seeing which direction feels smoothest overall.

0 33
 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Try "mapping" your hair growth and shave it in that direction only. See if you can be satisfied with one pass in that area.

Try a different blade - I like Crystals for sheer comfort - ymmv.

Fwiw, I've found that Techs give me very comfortable shaves, with the edge going to a UK made version.

Try a tallow based soap.

Less pressure, less pressure.

4 1,915
 01-28-2015, 05:24 PM
  • taco8slo
  • Shavenookian Newbie
  • California
User Info
My neck hair grows in many directions as well and it grows really flat to the skin, if I lower my chin to make my skin more loose it helps a ton. Sometimes I even push up the skin from below where I am shaving to help loosen my skin even more. Using a light grip on the razor will also help with the pressure issue too.

15 130
 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM
User Info
I recently worked through this issue as well. A couple factors also seemed to help. +1 on pressure. Biggest factor that helped me was to raise my chin up and away from the shaved area, and really stretching the skin as I would if using a straight. I also normally consider pre-shave oil as synonymous with snake oil, but after using a bit I received as a gift, I have eaten a bit of crow on my skepticism. And, though it may seem counterintuitive, a more aggressive razor and sharper blade helped as well.

26 245
 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM
  • taco8slo
  • Shavenookian Newbie
  • California
User Info
I just checked in the mirror for what I do, the part when I push the skin up with my fingers to loosen the skin where I am shaving, I have to raise my chin during this part, but I feel that shaving over loose skin on the neck with light pressure does the trick.

15 130
 01-28-2015, 07:55 PM
User Info
Pressure, pressure, pressure; patience, patience, patience, practice, practice, practice...............and some unrefined shea butter to alleviate the burn and irritation!  Biggrin
Good luck. 

82 21,056
 01-28-2015, 09:24 PM
User Info
Nice advice guys I will try the different methods! I will be shaving in a few days so I will post results and I hope my mikes soaps come in.I only get to shave about once a week which is kinda nice but kinda not now since I enjoy shaving now. But I will let ya know.

2 18
 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
The only thing I have found to work is an aggressive razor and only make 1 or 2 passes and do not try for bs on your neck

5 116
 02-05-2015, 12:31 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(02-05-2015, 11:49 AM)ceferguson Wrote: The only thing I have found to work is an aggressive razor and only make 1 or 2 passes and do not try for bs on your neck

+1 to that! Also shave in the direction of your stubble.

10 963
 02-09-2015, 10:31 AM
User Info
I've been DE shaving for only about three and a half months now, but it was only in the last week or so that I stopped getting redness and irritation in that area. This is gratifying, since I kept reading that it would indeed get better, but that the neck is usually the last area to really come together.

The improvement coincided with using my ATT S2 slant, which is indeed a great combination of mild and efficient (I have pretty coarse hair); that razor just glides over my neck without roughness, and leaves it smooth in a way I hadn't seen before. But it's not just this razor; the last three days I've been shaving with a Mühle R106 (R89 head) and I've been getting equally good results on my neck. So somewhere in there my technique improved, too.

What I'd put it down to, really, is a combination of much better technique (light, quick strokes, good angle), and learning to add a bit more water to my lathers to get some real slickness from them. The difference in how my neck looks and feels now is remarkable, so I'm at least one testimonial that it really can get better.

Oh, and of course definitely map your beard direction; noticing all the different directions in different quadrants of my neck made a difference.

0 53