01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
User Info
Well after moving over to the Safety razor one thing I am noticing consistently it that it is taking 4 passes to get a soft shave, not quite BBS but close. Especially my neck area needs a lot of extra attention. I'm using a Gillete SuperSpeed with Astra SP blades. I'm wondering if something a bit more aggressive in a razor or blade would be more of a benefit. My understanding is the SuperSpeed is a fairly mild razor in itself but should I play with different blades first? Any recommendations of brands of assortments to try? Any vendors I should send my business to? I'd also like to try some different creams and soaps as well but those are purely suggestive and not sure those will do anything to correct my current situation.

0 10
 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
For my face, Med Preps are very sharp and forgiving. Gillette Silver Blues are almost as sharp, and also forgiving.

Lots of folks rave about Feathers, but I've not tried them.

Talk to The Enabler.

7 2,155
 01-28-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
I've used the SS/Astra combo with good success.  That razor with Lab Blues seems to work well for me as well.  3 passes with some touch up on my neck usually does it for me. I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, so I think either blade/razor combo should be OK.  The neck is a challenge for sure.  You can have weird grain and it can be hard to get the angle right.  It was hard for me at first, but what helped me was really understanding the direction of the grain of my beard on my neck.  A bit of stretching of the skin can helps me too, as I have hair that lays pretty flat on my neck, but if I stretch too much, I'll get ingrowns.

0 1,072
 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I've had great success with the SS/Astra combo by adding a shim under the blade. It costs nothing to try, and even if you don't care for the idea in the long term, if it works you'll know that a little more aggressive is what you want.

0 272
 01-28-2015, 05:20 PM
User Info
Thanks for the ideas, just placed a small order with Shannons Soaps for some things to try out. I may order a sampler pack to try some other blades before trying another razor.

0 10
 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM
User Info
Have you tried altering your angle, skin stretching, or buffing? This might remedy things, but if it does not, then you may want to try a more aggressive razor such as a Weber PH or an adjustable; Gillette vintage or Merkur Progress. 
Good luck. 

83 21,078
 01-28-2015, 09:23 PM
User Info
Tom above had the same suggestion I would give: try a shim under the blade (some people even use two) and the difference is really striking. Also, most blade samplers contain Feathers and they are extremely sharp - might help. Personally, I like Astra SP blades, and I was very surprised to find that the razor giving my neck and "under-chin" the closest, most irritation free shave was my Mühle R41. It's such an aggressive razor that I only need two passes.

Another thing that helped me a lot in getting better shaves south of the jawline is a technique called bullfrogging. It only works in some areas of my neck, but where it does work, it works great!
Mantic59 has a very good video on YouTube about it.

Euro

5 395
 01-29-2015, 09:58 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 05:20 PM)craigthor Wrote: Thanks for the ideas, just placed a small order with Shannons Soaps for some things to try out. I may order a sampler pack to try some other blades before trying another razor.

Thanks for the order!  Let me know what you think.

0 1,072
 01-29-2015, 10:37 AM
User Info
Did you lather differently before? I find using preshave soap straight onto my skin without any water before prepares my hair way better than just  wetting my face and lathering. You could use lather on your face without water prep and massage that lather in against the grain.. think that should help. Hm...

Philipp

21 1,175
 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM
User Info
Feathers could be very helpful.

Also, the shimming technique is a great idea. Here's how it works. Start with a used double edge blade. Take a pair of scissors and trim off the sharp edge on both ends of the blade. Put the shim underneath the new blade. You are effectively opening up the gap between the top cap and base plate. Bigger gap = more aggressive. Now, some guys are convinced that shims work only with three piece razors, not Twist-To-Open types such as the Super Speed. But I say give it a try. After all, it's free.

One resource you may want to know about -- http://www.tryablade.com    You can get blades one-by-one, and not have to buy five or ten just to try 'em out.

16 350