01-28-2015, 09:40 PM
User Info
I Just bought a slant from a fellow nook member
And I would like to give it a shot. It's a merkur 37, and i was wondering what I need to know so I don't end up like scarface? I have ws about 9 times and I feel very comfortable using my merkur 34. I never have cut but have nicked my self like 3 times and it's because I go really fast. I just feel like me and the razor were made for one another. I shave with across and against the grain on my face at about 30° angle with a locked wrist. So like I said I LOVE the feel and experience with the 34 and I wanted to try a slant so obviously I figured the  37 was the way to go. Idk if I will like it but what do I need to know about and is it too soon to try it? 

2 18
 01-29-2015, 07:05 AM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I tried a 37c about a month into my DE shaving journey, and I got some amazing shaves, but also some horrible ones.  My technique was not ready yet.  I ended up selling it and not trying another slant for about six months.  Now, my 39c is my favorite razor.  The difference for me was really learning my face and honing my technique.  This could be different for you, so I say give it a try, but don't be surprised if your results are inconsistent at this point.  If so, just put away the 37c for a month or two and come back to enjoy.  

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

2 447
 01-29-2015, 08:24 AM
User Info
i think everyone are ready for slants - and only some practice will do the trick. go ahead!Smile

7 1,624
 01-29-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
Very light pressure, confidence and no-thinking and just shave! Biggrin
Good luck!

82 21,056
 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM
User Info
I'm sure you can use the slant, but I would be prepared to work with it for a while before changing back to your 34c, another razor, or even a different blade type. This will help refine your technique since you have nine DE shaves.

As an IT guy, I try to minimize variables when trying new things so I know why something turned out better (or worse) than expected. If you make too many changes at once, you will be left wondering what happened. In the case of shaving, problems can arise from bad technique, the razor, the blade type, different soap/cream, etc.

Good luck with the 37c. Let us know how it goes!

1 135
 01-29-2015, 10:30 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
My slant is a Hoffritz bought in the mid '80s, which I think is the same head as the current 37c. I worked up the nerve to try it after 3 weeks of using a Super Speed. According to my journal, I boldly used it exactly like I did my SS, 3 passes, no holding back. I got a couple nicks, a bright red neck, the aftershave hurt like hell, and it was the best shave I had ever had in my life. That was the first ever shave with it, obviously with the first blade I had ever tried in it. For the next few months I used it about once a week, and never when I had to wear a tie that day. If I had it to do over again, I'd say go for it, but maybe for that first shave, do a couple careful passes, then stop and decide if a third is appropriate. At first, it will demand a little more respect than your 34c, but it's nothing to be afraid of.

0 272
 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
If you can shave with a DE, you can shave with a slant - all the same principles apply.

Just remember that a slant requires practically NO pressure, take your time, and you might want to stop at two passes the first few times... at least, that is my experience.

3 4,370
 01-29-2015, 04:17 PM
User Info
Slants are great, and I would not hesitate to try the 37c as soon as you believe your technique is solid and consistent. As others have stated, be sure to use NO pressure. Your self-stated tendency to shave quickly may work against you, and this is something to guard against. Shaving is not a race, so take your time -- especially so with a slant. And did I say NO pressure? Yes, NO pressure.

16 351
 01-30-2015, 02:43 AM
User Info
Ready or not, it is just a little blood...Chicks dig scars anyway!

4 63
 01-30-2015, 03:35 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(01-29-2015, 04:17 PM)slackskin Wrote: Slants are great, and I would not hesitate to try the 37c as soon as you believe your technique is solid and consistent. As others have stated, be sure to use NO pressure. Your self-stated tendency to shave quickly may work against you, and this is something to guard against. Shaving is not a race, so take your time -- especially so with a slant. And did I say NO pressure? Yes, NO pressure.

I'd go along with this. You are 9 shaves in and have nicked yourself 1/3 of the time so I would not say you are ready to try the slant. I'd slow down and get your technique sorted out first. It is mostly down to pressure, none, and angle.

A Merkur 37c slant is an excellent DE and shaves like any other DE if you have good technique but is a little less forgiving than most. Just did a 4 pass shave this morning using a 37c with a Feather blade that had a few shaves on it. There were no cuts, nicks or weepers and I would be hard pressed to do better with a straight razor. 

I'd put it aside for a bit and try it later.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-30-2015, 07:11 AM
User Info
Well I have nicked my self 6 times total I. 2 different shaves. Thanks for all the advice guys!

2 18
 01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-29-2015, 11:04 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: If you can shave with a DE, you can shave with a slant - all the same principles apply.

Just remember that a slant requires practically NO pressure, take your time, and you might want to stop at two passes the first few times... at least, that is my experience.

Agree with this 100%. I love shaving with my 37C.

175 23,752
 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 09:40 PM)jkiser1991 Wrote: I Just bought a slant from a fellow nook member
And I would like to give it a shot. It's a merkur 37, and i was wondering what I need to know so I don't end up like scarface? I have ws about 9 times and I feel very comfortable using my merkur 34. I never have cut but have nicked my self like 3 times and it's because I go really fast. I just feel like me and the razor were made for one another. I shave with across and against the grain on my face at about 30° angle with a locked wrist. So like I said I LOVE the feel and experience with the 34 and I wanted to try a slant so obviously I figured the  37 was the way to go. Idk if I will like it but what do I need to know about and is it too soon to try it? 

I graduated from the 34C to the 37c myself.  It looks scarier than it is.  Take the plunge now! It's the best safety razor available IMO.  Just shave like you would with the 34C.  

0 284
 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM
User Info
I get shaves just as good if not better with a quality safety bar (recently the Weber) with no concerns about having to be extra careful about pressure. I guess I don't see the benefit.

12 1,247
 01-30-2015, 03:57 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-30-2015, 11:12 AM)insomniac Wrote: I get shaves just as good if not better with a quality safety bar (recently the Weber) with no concerns about having to be extra careful about pressure. I guess I don't see the benefit.

As you and I have not used the same models of razor, I cannot tell you whether this is a typical "YMMV" situation, but after nine months of using a quality safety bar razor (Standard Razors razor), with occasional weepers, I have now gone (the first) six days of using an iKon DLC Slant with zero weepers.  For the first two days, I was super careful about pressure, but the next four shaves, I relaxed and have used not that different -- if different at all -- pressure than I had been using with the Standard Razors razor.  One difference that I do not notice until I return to the bedroom (where the clock is) after shaving:  I am spending two to five fewer minutes per shave with the slant razor than I had spent per shave with the safety bar razor to achieve the same closeness of shave; I guess that that is a rough unscientifc measure of shaving efficiency.

0 1,048
 01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 03:57 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 11:12 AM)insomniac Wrote: I get shaves just as good if not better with a quality safety bar (recently the Weber) with no concerns about having to be extra careful about pressure. I guess I don't see the benefit.

As you and I have not used the same models of razor, I cannot tell you whether this is a typical "YMMV" situation, but after nine months of using a quality safety bar razor (Standard Razors razor), with occasional weepers, I have now gone (the first) six days of using an iKon DLC Slant with zero weepers.  For the first two days, I was super careful about pressure, but the next four shaves, I relaxed and have used not that different -- if different at all -- pressure than I had been using with the Standard Razors razor.  One difference that I do not notice until I return to the bedroom (where the clock is) after shaving:  I am spending two to five fewer minutes per shave with the slant razor than I had spent per shave with the safety bar razor to achieve the same closeness of shave; I guess that that is a rough unscientifc measure of shaving efficiency.

I believe you completely, having tried a Standard a while ago. It's not very good. Thus the "quality" bit Biggrin  The safety bar razors I've liked over the years are every bit as efficient as the two slants I have tried (the 39C and iKon #102) with much less irritation. YMMV of course.

12 1,247
 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM
  • pb56
  • New York
User Info
Some folks seem to love slants. I don't care for them myself. That being said, I don't think that they are any more likely to cause harm than any other DE.

43 175
 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
I learned to use an ikon slant after only DE shaving for a few months just use very little pressure and you will be fine

5 116
 02-07-2015, 02:33 PM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
I used a safety-bar razor (the polished Weber) for about 18 months before I bought a slant (the Ikon Shavecraft 102).  It seemed like an easy transition to me, I'm getting extremely good shaves, and I love the 102.  I plan to keep both these razors long-term.  I think it helped me to shave that long with the Weber, to really get my technique down pat.  Like kansaskyle said, I appreciate the idea of minimizing variables - get really solid with a blade you like, and then change razors only.

29 330
 03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
User Info
Slants are my favorite kind of razor

11 132