01-28-2015, 10:53 PM
User Info
Back in 1931 Mr Isaac S Mathieu  and Mr Frank B Springer patented a fountain shaving brush... an improved fountain shaving brush no less, meaning someone out there patented at least one earlier one. The idea is much like the shaving brushes for canned goo I blogged about last week, in that the shaving cream should be applied directly to the brush with little in the way of mess.

Quote:The principal object of our invention is to provide a shaving brush having a hollow handle with cream dispensing means therein so constructed to t directly inside a tube of shaving cream inserted in the handle, whereby to dispense the cream therefrom, or operate simply inside the handle when the same is filled with cream, as by emptying a tube therein. This makes the brush independent of use with any particular sized tube, and the user can employ his favorite cream without regard to the size of tube.

[Image: US1946867-0.png]
Judging by the drawing, it's a shaving cream syringe attached to a brush...  would make for an awesome travel brush, if anyone feels like setting up a production line.

3 4,501
 01-29-2015, 09:25 AM
User Info
Hans, you really are fascinated by these older inventions! Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-29-2015, 11:00 AM
User Info
(01-29-2015, 09:25 AM)celestino Wrote: Hans, you really are fascinated by these older inventions! Biggrin

The human desire to fix non-existing problems is quite fascinating... my own desire to seek out, collate and share information is work-induced  Tongue

3 4,501
 04-23-2015, 10:13 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
This isn't the exact brush from the patent, but I thought our Nordic friend might enjoy some life added to his old patent findings. 

[Image: o0kEoGl.jpg][Image: NhcRBjX.jpg][Image: MePOySh.jpg]

I believe there was a patent number on the base, but I forgot to take a picture of that.  I'll take another look tonight.

145 2,752
 04-23-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
Niice one Dave - have you tried it out with a cream / croap in the handle?

3 4,501
 04-23-2015, 10:54 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(04-23-2015, 10:42 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Niice one Dave - have you tried it out with a cream / croap in the handle?

No, and I really don't plan on using it at all.  I bought this one just for the novelty and it will remain a shelf queen.  If it were a badger brush I would be tempted, but my experience with vintage British boars is they take forever to break in and I enjoy the nice looks of the unused brush so it will stay that way.

145 2,752
 04-23-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
I wouldn't have really used it myself, but I am curious as to how well (or less than well) the basic idea works... is the action reasonable smooth, considering the age?

3 4,501
 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
It came with some kind of lubricant (similar to petroleum jelly) on the rubber seals so it works perfectly.  In actual use, I'm not sure how efficient it would be since it basically loads the brush from the base of the knot.  I  would think that a lot of product would be wasted and washed away when rinsing it out after each use.

145 2,752
 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I did manage to find the original patent documents here:

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicati...cale=en_EP

though I'm not sure how to convert the PDF to a file that would be easy to post on this thread.

145 2,752
 04-23-2015, 12:23 PM
User Info
Neat.. working from that patent number I found this page with a poorly scanned image:

[Image: espacenetImage.jpg?flavour=firstPageClip...6949A&KC=A]
It is amazing - to me - how many fairly obvious and non-innovative inventions have managed to get patented. There is nothing truly new here compared to "fountain brushes" three decades older.

3 4,501