01-29-2015, 12:43 AM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
A number of comments on the excellent review of the Simpson Classic 1 Best Badger by Mikeperry (http://shavenook.com/thread-review-simps...est-badger) got me thinking about what (if any), the major differences between a brush for face lathering as opposed to a brush for bowl lathering would be.

Obviously it would be up to the individual to determine what their preference of a brush would be given hand size, shape of face etc but is there a general rule that a brush with a smaller knot or overall height would be better at lathering on a face or bowl?

Does the size of the brush determine which it would be better lathering at?

Mods: Apologies if this has been discussed before, couldn't find anything.

0 403
 01-29-2015, 09:29 AM
User Info
This is all subjective, but I believe most bowl-lathers prefer to use brushes with longer handles to facilitate the process. With regards to knots, this is a YMMV thing as many folks enjoy variety either if they are face or bowl-lathering, so their choice of knot would depend on what characteristics they desire from it/them.
Personally, I face-lather, exclusively, so I have less to ponder and more face-time with my brushes! Biggrin

82 21,056
 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Any brush will perform the task, however longer handles with a smaller diameter are generally favoured for bowl lathering as they navigate the vessel with greater ease. Face lathers generally gravitate towards smaller, shorter lofted knots with more backbone. There is no absolute rule and personal preference will dictate your answer...

99 18,011
 01-29-2015, 10:00 PM
  • Thug
  • South Africa
User Info
(01-29-2015, 06:58 PM)ben74 Wrote: Any brush will perform the task, however longer handles with a smaller diameter are generally favoured for bowl lathering as they navigate the vessel with greater ease. Face lathers generally gravitate towards smaller, shorter lofted knots with more backbone. There is no absolute rule and personal preference will dictate your answer...

That was pretty much the impression I got.

Thanks.

0 403
 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(01-29-2015, 06:58 PM)ben74 Wrote: Any brush will perform the task, however longer handles with a smaller diameter are generally favoured for bowl lathering as they navigate the vessel with greater ease. Face lathers generally gravitate towards smaller, shorter lofted knots with more backbone. There is no absolute rule and personal preference will dictate your answer...

I am a long-time face latherer and was quite happy with my EverReady Boar brushes until a year and a half ago.  After going through a few brushes recently of different sizes and shapes, I have to agree that ben74 nailed the answer.  I don't know if this makes sense but I prefer a handle that feels more like a pencil than a paintbrush, and a knot about 24mm, in a bulb shape less than 50mm in elevation.  I think sinking the knot deeper into the handle keeps the bulb shape better.  As with virtually everything else here, YMMV...

15 89