12-26-2016, 09:16 PM
User Info
(09-24-2016, 12:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I wish I preferrd to bowl lather, since there are so many great bowl/scuttles out there, but I just can't seem to prefer it over face lathering

It's certainly much easier to do face lathering. But on cold days, there's nothing like a scuttle - which is almost like getting lather from a barber.

1 35
 12-26-2016, 10:43 PM
User Info
(12-26-2016, 09:16 PM)poikkeus Wrote:
(09-24-2016, 12:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I wish I preferrd to bowl lather, since there are so many great bowl/scuttles out there, but I just can't seem to prefer it over face lathering

It's certainly much easier to do face lathering. But on cold days, there's nothing like a scuttle - which is almost like getting lather from a barber.

Since my reply I have actually bought the black/grey Fine bowl.
I have used it 2-3 times now, and it works great.
But still vastly prefer face lathering though, but if I feel my skin needs a rest from face lathering, bowl lathering is very nice.

I did own a Schwarzweiss Ceramic XL scuttle, but felt it was too much and even though I live in Denmark in Scandinavia, we rarely have real cold weather these days anymore (this winter for instance we still have yet to experience real frost)

I actually like the warm first lather for the first pass and the cooler second lather for the second pass.

24 5,762
 12-27-2016, 03:01 AM
User Info
 01-12-2017, 10:35 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
This is my new and therefore favorite lather bowl. From Symmetrical Pottery, Etsy.
[Image: lKSBUUQ.jpg]

8 601
 01-15-2017, 06:41 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I have a Symmetrical Pottery dottie bowl, what's the diameter and depth of that one @doc47?

Cheers, Steve

7 462
 01-16-2017, 01:29 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
(01-15-2017, 06:41 AM)Steve56 Wrote: I have a Symmetrical Pottery dottie bowl, what's the diameter and depth of that one @doc47?

Cheers, Steve
Steve, It is 5 1/4 by 2 3/4. Smaller and flatter than my other bowl, seen below.
[Image: tTKvD3d.jpg]

8 601
 01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
User Info
(01-29-2015, 04:25 PM)Agravic Wrote:
Sori Yanagi SS bowl

[Image: Zwz2b11.jpg]

[Image: vzZ3rsb.jpg]

Is that the Aesop bowl?  It might be the brush handle size, or the angle, but it almost looks like the next size up.

13 450
 01-19-2017, 08:21 AM
User Info
My favorite bowl was made from a coconut.

[Image: bYqUdd5.jpg]

0 210
 01-24-2017, 02:40 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-25-2015, 07:08 AM)ben74 Wrote: The bowl I introduced to TSN in 2013, the Aesop stainless steel bowl designed by Sori Yanagi...

[Image: e1IW9pk.png]
(03-25-2015, 07:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: The Aesop that Ben introduced me to is my go to bowl now.

[Image: BCG8Sdd.jpg]

Until yesterday morning, I owned, and daily used, a perfect shaving mug — actually, it was made and sold as a coffee mug, but was the perfect size and shape, and had sufficient thermal mass, for use as a shaving mug which I had purchased direct from the maker, Kobushiyaki, in Iwamizawa, Hokkaido, in late September or early October 1966; I had used that mug for 604 or 605 consecutive months.  The mug is front and center in several of the photos this earlier post

<sigh>  Soapy fingers and a hard tile floor yesterday delivered a violent and quick death to my mug; after so many years of daily use, it was like the loss of an old friend.  

Some time back, I had looked into getting a Georgetown Pottery G12, but had been off-put at the $55 price + $11 shipping; I had also looked into a Steve Woodhead “Tall Medium Shaving Scuttle,” but the cost (again), and the need to wait for shipping from England, were dampers.  Yesterday, suddenly demoted to use of a less satisfactory back-up mug, I did some fast research on ShaveNook that brought me to the posts that I quoted above (and to this thread (especially) and to this thread and to this thread and to this thread).  

The dénouement was that I discovered that Aēsop recently has opened a store — in fact two stores — here in Portland and even on my side of the Willamette River.  I went in this morning and bought a stainless bowl designed by Sori Yanagi and made in Japan.   As Seen on This Forum.  It will get its first use tomorrow.  I could hardly hope for a stronger and more authoritative recommendation that the chorus of Ben74 and Johnny, and so I approach this with maximum sanguinity.  

I always had thought that a large thermal mass (for maximum heat retention), which the Kobushiyaki mug had in spades, was the first criterion of a highly functional shaving mug.  From the materials and heft, it appears that this Aēsop/Yanagi mug will exhibit less of that quality than the dear departed Kobushiyaki mug did.  I look forward to being educated tomorrow morning as to criteria other than thermal mass that make for a superior shaving mug.

Moderator Note:  Post edited to remove two links to non-supporting vendors.   Post subsequently edited to remove link to YouTube video.

0 1,035
 01-24-2017, 08:10 PM
User Info
Mel, Sorry to hear about your mug.  It looked like a beauty.  I wish you the best for the Aesop.  Let us know how it works out.

13 1,086
 01-25-2017, 03:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-24-2017, 08:10 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Mel, Sorry to hear about your mug.  It looked like a beauty.  I wish you the best for the Aesop.  Let us know how it works out.

Old habits die hard.  
Habits that are getting into their sixth decade die really hard.  

I attempted this morning to use my new Aēsop stainless steel bowl just as I had, until yesterday, used my Kobushiyaki ceramic mug for over 50 years. 

That is, I filled the sink with hot water, and filled the new stainless steel bowl with hot water in the sink, with the razor in the bowl, to heat up while I took a shower. 
Once out of the shower, I formerly emptied the mug, emptied the sink, and refilled both with hot water, to get the (ceramic) bowl, with its high thermal mass, up to heat, then drained the mug and poured the kumquat (see this post) into the hot mug for lathering.

My good intentions were not well realized.  

Trying to follow the same sequence, the Aēsop bowl, empty, floated like a cork.  Even with a loaded brush sitting in it, it floats if the water in the sink is more than a couple of centimeters deep; that depth of water in my sink is barely adequate to rinse the razor head off while shaving, and I am one of those guys who rinses his razor frequently during a shave.  Moreover, my qualms about the Aēsop’s low thermal mass were realized, and exacerbated, by the shallow water depth, as the exposed stainless bowl - and the lather within it - lost heat relatively rapidly.  

In the plus side, the bowl allowed me to make a good lather (using a 23 mm Mühle STP v2 brush and the run-off from the top of a puck of Mystic Water The Brown Windsor soap), though the lather was not as good on the second pass because it had cooled a good bit while I was shaving my first pass.  

Well.  I am not going to stop at that point. 
So today, I made a (reversible) modification to my brand new Aēsop Sori Yanagi stainless steel lather bowl.  Read on:  

Almost exactly two years ago, I purchased ten really, really strong neodymium half-inch by quarter inch (small battery shape) magnets (Amazon ASIN: B00BS2JK8C) , of which I still have seven unused magnets remaining.  Today, I am performing an experiment with four of them.  Although the steel of the Aēsop bowl is not magnetic, a magnetic field will penetrate the thickness of the bowl, so a pair of the neodymium magnets will clamp very strongly to opposite sides of the bowl.  

[Image: IgueaD1.jpg]
This is a close-up of the bottom of the Aēsop bowl, showing the “DESIGNED BY SORI YANAGI“ legend and a logo incorporating a Y, which presumably designates Yanagi-designed products.  Below that, in a script typeface, is engraved “Martian“ — properly, shouldn’t we be referring to this shaving bowl as the Martian shaving bowl? — followed by a cute little stick figure, presumably a real, honest-to-goodness Martian, and “18-8” which is a type of stainless steel often found in flatware and cooking utensils.  Finally, “MADE IN JAPAN,” which some of us find reassuring.  On both sides of the engraving, you can see a neodymium magnet, held in place by a matching neodymium magnet on the inside of the bowl.

[Image: naTkF6a.jpg]
A wider view of the outside of the Martian bowl.

[Image: 8rzm95n.jpg]
An even wider view of the bottom of the Martian bowl with the adhering magnets.

[Image: JX2kq7j.jpg]
The inside of the Martian bowl (also, alas, revealing my fingerprints), showing the pair of magnets on the inside of the bowl attracted to the magnets on the outside of the bowl.  With those “buttons” inside the bowl, one assumes that the question of “smooth vs. textured,” raised in another thread of this subforum, will be mooted.  We shall see.  

The mass of the four magnets should give HMS Martian (or, as she is of Japanese origin, more properly, Martian-maru) a stable keel to reduce the bobbing about in the sink; we shall see how well it works tomorrow morning.  

If the modification works as well as I hope that it will, I probably shall add another pair of magnets tomorrow, to give the bowl three feet and allow it to sit stably upright on a counter.

0 1,035
 01-25-2017, 06:15 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I can't really pick a favorite, but I have 4 or 5 in rotation.

G12.

[Image: zzKYNYpIhyxe-s_1CwKboNPZShMxqLeshnetxWYX...14-h610-no]

And this one is also a favorite. Just a bowl I found at GoodWill, and think quite beautiful.

[Image: -etMHp6kIFvOBL1W71WDBqKYW_jzYSkEvIjV2RqS...14-h610-no]

Custom bowl by Maria Arman, for North America's Best Wet Shavers Club(FB)

[Image: cnZKKncMLtcVM7GZRD9aeNiCeKjJgXmtqAcieeu0...14-h610-no]

Shawn Summers bowl

[Image: _37Fpwhi16_HFHp_9jHYvTW50HwPnf2EDewBGMPF...14-h610-no]

When it is cold, the scuttle gets most of the duty. It has been warmer than usual here lately, so I've been rotating again.

2 1,682
 01-29-2017, 12:10 AM
User Info
I'm a face latherer and don't use a lather mug or bowl, but this is what holds my soap, and where I load the brush from.

[Image: rm8jyg.jpg]

Looks very nice on the shelf and is always a pleasure to use.

0 40
 02-10-2017, 10:42 PM
User Info
[Image: QvXYzmN.jpg] 
The original Ayars/Sara Bonnyman lather bowl. Every once in a while I break it out and use it. Does the job quite well.

I also have this coming from JaysClay on Etsy. It doesn't show but there are both horizontal swirls on the bottom as well as vertical ridges:
[Image: nnPvO8f.jpg]

29 1,776
 02-12-2017, 09:07 AM
User Info
[Image: 7254d7787c68d14ce4b8bf13078c3b65.jpg]

Big'ole soup cup. $2.99 in SuperMax. I head shave, so i love the volume.

[Image: 1b97f3f525d944b5480a39f405ea574d.jpg]

Beech bowl. For the morning, when i shave part of my face. I like the way it fills my palm perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478
 02-16-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Is not AESOP, but it is stainless, $1.99, and fits my hand perfectly. Thanx to IKEA. [Image: 672e9decf81ae64032b273a3c6aa264a.jpg]

0 478
 02-18-2017, 11:27 AM
User Info
[Image: 538e1cd86078abd5cccb8a8eba7c3c25.jpg]

Maybe i have been watching too many cowboys movies.... picture this: clint eastwood with a little mirror in one hand and a bowie knife in the other, shaving. Well my friends, i bet this was the bowl he used. :-)

0 478
 02-19-2017, 05:29 AM
User Info
[Image: 9ad9bcff1d691a29076e09377e1df946.jpg]

The pestle is in its way to be converted into a brush. The mortar is going to stay just the way it is. Both made out of Lignum Vitae (Guayacan), densest wood in the world.

0 478
 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
Aesop Shave Bowl.  I've never been a bowl latherer, but picked this up in a very nice trade.  It's been very enjoyable to use.

[Image: rqxs3SP.jpg]

Japanese ceramic tea cup, great as a brush scuttle.

[Image: aswKqC7.jpg]

[Image: LXTMdA6.jpg]

13 1,086