01-29-2015, 09:11 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Currently I use a Muhle MUH31K256 as my travel brush.  I really like the brush, but it could do with a wee bit more backbone but not too much more.  I've been thinking of replacing it with a new production Simpson Classic1 Synthetic.  The diameters of the knots on the two brushes are approximately the same, 21mm for the Muhle and 21.5mm for the Classic1, and are right in my sweet spot.  Where the knots really differ is in their lofts,  52mm for the Muhle and 45mm for the Classic1.  What I don't know is the effect the shorter loft of the Classic1 has on its backbone.  As I said, I'm looking for a synthetic brush that has a bit more backbone than my Muhle, but I don't want a knot that has the backbone of a Chubby1 Best, for example.  Even with my badger brushes I like knots that are on the lower end of the backbone scale, but not floppy; my favourite badgers are Thater 3-band Silvertip, Shavemac Finest and 3-band Silvertip and Colonel in Best.  Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

5 885
 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
User Info
You might want to peruse this thread:  http://shavenook.com/thread-simpson-classic-synthetic

Also, the Grooming Company synthetics have very strong backbone with a larger knot 25 x 50-52mm. Another option is getting one of the artisan to customize a brush for you with a lower loft to meet your requirements.
Good luck.

82 21,056