01-29-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
i do really like the fern but i see many people say they have tried better soaps than mdc Doubt  so what i would like to know is what do you think is equal to or better than mdc price not being a factor either way (no matter higher or lower, though if you use one thats cheaper i would be interested in knowing) and why? to many mdc is the epitome of shaving soap but now im curious what else is as good or ....... better?? i would not necc say its the epitome for me .... yet but it is a fantastic soap.

16 660
 01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
  • cnj01
  • Central California
User Info
Barrister & Mann is real close and Prairie creations has a mdc clone that you might want to check out.

11 68
 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM
User Info
I enjoy MdC, it produces lot's of really nice slick lather with ease and provides the cushion for close comfortable shaves.  Where MdC falls short for me is in post-shave skin feel.  My skin doesn't feel all that great post shave, in fact my skin feels quite dry post-shave, when I compare it to a number of other soaps that I enjoy using.  Those other soaps include: Cold River Soap Works, Barrister & Mann, Mikes Natural and Saponificio Varesino.  Each of these provide: easy lathering, slickness, cushion, and much better post-shave skin feel for me than does MdC and therefore I use them much more often than I use MdC.

74 2,271
 01-29-2015, 08:00 PM
User Info
For me, quite a few of the artisanal soaps are its equal and some of the tallow-based ones are superior to it. 
MdC is a great veggie soap, but the scent and the lack of post-shave (actually dried out my skin, a bit, afterwards) were its weaknesses, for me. If it weren't for these two factors, it would be in my rotation. 

82 21,076
 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM
User Info
Having tried only a sample of McD, i would say Mike's Natural is just as good and much less costly...

3 4,479
 01-29-2015, 08:38 PM
User Info
I have 3 that equal or surpass my McD; Le Pere Lucien..............Santa Marie Novella.................Xpec new version,just my opion,I think my Lucien is the best I have ever used in my rotation.

20 441
 01-29-2015, 08:57 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Sticking to Veggie soaps, I'll mention 3 that come to my mind:  B&M Tre Citta (easier on my skin, comparable performance), Seifenglatt (similar to B&M ... more conditioning and greater scent variety), and Huntlee Master Lather (nice scents, great on skin, some of the slickest soap I have tried). There are others as well, I'm just forgetting them  Blush

All three I mentioned are cheaper than MdC.  That being said, I'll never NOT have MdC in my den because, despite all the soap options these days, it remains unique with several of its attributes...including latherability, scents, and presentation   Biggrin

34 1,628
 01-30-2015, 05:06 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
If you like the Fougere scent and want a vegetable based soap comparable to MdC I recommend LA Shaving Soap Co. Topanga Fougere.

For tallow based soaps I'd agree with others....CRSW, Wickham's and Mike's. 
Wickham's English Lavender is reminiscent of the MdC original (lavender) scent. 

168 1,376
 01-30-2015, 06:31 AM
User Info
For overall quality - Calani. That's it.

12 1,247
 01-30-2015, 12:34 PM
User Info
I agree with Topanga Fougere as a good choice. The scent is one of the best in shaving, IMO. The lather is a bit fluffier than I like, but still really good. Pretty similar to MdC, for me. Post-shave face feel is better.

I've never smelled the Fougere version of MdC, but I can't imagine how it could smell better than Topanga Fougere. Honestly.

2 1,448
 01-30-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
IMHO nothing I have tried is superior to Mdc. I rank Klar Seifen and Czech & Speak 88 and Oxford & Cambridge above Mdc but only because I prefer the post shave feel of them. But for quality and ease of lather, glide and performance-NOTHING I have tested beats any of my 3 MDC.
Not any of my 3 B&M, not CRSW Select, though these two are close for performance.

But when you look at the soap, the performance, the lather, the presentation of the product - you can't beat MDC.

I agree it's only weakness is post shave feel. MWF and Klar Seifen beats MDC in post shave feel.
But I own several great AS balms and use a range of skin care products post shave anyway.

24 5,962
 01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
User Info
Claus,
without having tested Mdc I understand it is a soap that is easily commanded and gotten rid of. Postshave is more open to supplements as it does not need much Mdc and that rinses well off. Is that approximately correct? That would be avirtue in my book

Ph

21 1,175
 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I agree with others that the post shave feel of MdC is drying.  

Not often mentioned is the Huile de Coprah balm made by MdC.  It is pure coconut oil in a balm/paste form and is designed to be applied pre and/or post shave.  It is a thick paste in the jar but almost immediately liquefies when exposed to body heat...so it literally melts into your skin.  When used in this way, the post shave feel of MdC is wonderful.

I just mention it because if anyone decides to purchase MdC from France, I highly recommend this product to be used with the soap.  It's about $19 for the small glass jar which should last a very long time.

168 1,376
 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
Mikes, Soap Commander, C&S & original P160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 126
 01-30-2015, 04:19 PM
User Info
Haslinger.

Cheaper, slicker, better post shave feel, variety of scents.

8 2,718
 01-30-2015, 04:28 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have tried a ton of MdC "killers", but for me the Rustic Shave Soaps that Lee makes at Wetshavingproducts.com is phenomenal! I like the Marrakesh and Lavender soaps best, and they act just like MdC, except they have better scents.  I have all but stopped using the rest of my soaps and creams and have just been using the various varieties of this soap.  I have lavender, Marrakesh, Fougere Noir, Sandalwood, Black Amber Vanille, Rose, Tobacco and Vetiver.  They all have wonderful scent, excellent slickness, wonderful creamy lather, excellent cushion, great longevity, great skin care qualities post shave with great face feel, and are nourishing to my skin.

The best part is the price...almost nothing for the quality of soap you get.

Cheers!

74 1,503
 01-30-2015, 09:05 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 04:28 PM)Crag Wrote: I have tried a ton of MdC "killers", but for me the Rustic Shave Soaps that Lee makes at Wetshavingproducts.com is phenomenal! I like the Marrakesh and Lavender soaps best, and they act just like MdC, except they have better scents.  I have all but stopped using the rest of my soaps and creams and have just been using the various varieties of this soap.  I have lavender, Marrakesh, Fougere Noir, Sandalwood, Black Amber Vanille, Rose, Tobacco and Vetiver.  They all have wonderful scent, excellent slickness, wonderful creamy lather, excellent cushion, great longevity, great skin care qualities post shave with great face feel, and are nourishing to my skin.

The best part is the price...almost nothing for the quality of soap you get.

Cheers!

Never used MdC, but I've was introduced to this WSP Rustic recently with a sample I got from another forum member. I bought the Fougère Noir and Mahogony, and I'm pretty damn impressed with them. Easy to lather, slick, and good cushion. I'm still waiting for a few more uses to judge the post shave.

1 108
 01-30-2015, 10:51 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 03:24 PM)Bibbelmann Wrote: Claus,
without having tested Mdc I understand it is a soap that is easily commanded and gotten rid of. Postshave is more open to supplements as it does not need much Mdc and that rinses well off. Is that approximately correct? That would be avirtue in my book

Ph

Pretty much spot on, except some users of MDC have been experiencing drying skin after having used MDC.

I tend to suffer from dry skin, and for a long time did not use soaps for that reason, but only creams.

But MDC no longer dries my skin out, it just does not provide the post shave feel that for instance MWF and KLAR  Seifen do.

That's it.

24 5,962
 01-31-2015, 04:21 AM
User Info
Thanks,

that makes me confident going that way and buying Mdc.

As well as the other great soaps to be mentioned on this thread....!   Biggrin

Philipp

21 1,175
 01-31-2015, 04:47 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I would add Los Angeles Shaving Soap-It is very, very close. I would have also gone with the Cold Water Soap Works "Original", but it has been discontinued. It is also very, very close. Maggard's is just a notch below, but not by much. Soap Commander is 2 notches down for me, but is still an excellent soap.

4 2,759