01-29-2015, 05:34 PM
User Info
My wife made the comment today that I haven't received anything in the mail for a while. Obviously I've been slacking.

I'm looking for suggestions on hardware & software that HAS to be tried. What are some things you couldn't live without. Keep in mind I work for a school district so an $800.00 custom straight razor would be tuff to procure.  Tongue

6 589
 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM
User Info
I can't believe you're asking this question, but here goes: 

* Good 2-Band badger brush
* Artisanal soaps
* Unrefined Shea Butter (shaving's elixir)  Biggrin
* I highly doubt you will find one, but a Weber DLC  Angel

I think that is it, but I tend to be a bit partial! 

82 21,077
 01-29-2015, 10:53 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
Simpsons has several chubby on their twitter page looking for a great home...

2 479
 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
You could try out all the SE's that where made in the old days, shouldn't cost you a lot of money and you might find several that you like  Wink

28 1,442
 01-30-2015, 06:33 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I recently borrowed a Muhle R41, I liked it so much I bought my own.  I highly recommend giving an R41 a try.  You can get the head shipped for just over $20 and you can get the head and handle for around $35 if you shop around.  I would try a variety of blades and read up on steep angle vs shallow angle shaving.

8 1,355
 01-30-2015, 06:38 AM
User Info
(01-29-2015, 10:58 PM)Snuff Wrote: You could try out all the SE's that where made in the old days, shouldn't cost you a lot of money and you might find several that you like  Wink

+1 Old Single Edge razors are fun, and not terrible costly.

3 4,480
 01-30-2015, 07:05 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(01-29-2015, 07:50 PM)celestino Wrote: I can't believe you're asking this question, but here goes: 

* Good 2-Band badger brush
* Artisanal soaps
* Unrefined Shea Butter (shaving's elixir)  Biggrin
* I highly doubt you will find one, but a Weber DLC  Angel

I think that is it, but I tend to be a bit partial! 

What Celestino said PLUS:

* Mixed hair (boar/badger) Semogue brush

* Gillette New Improved (not easy to find as they were only produced for less than 3 years in the early 1920's) - became my only DE and is difficult to rotate out

* Good non-alcoholic witch hazel such as Thayers (works as aftershave and skin conditioner/toner)

* Straight razor shave - this could be a whole separate excursion involving getting into honing your own razor, making your own strops, etc.

* Merkur Progress - possibly the best modern DE razor out there

... I could keep going

26 1,739
 01-30-2015, 08:36 AM
User Info
thanks for your suggestions guys. So far the only thing I see that I dont already have is a Simpson. Either I have too much or I need to invest in a few duplicates.

6 589
 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 08:36 AM)captain caveman Wrote: thanks for your suggestions guys. So far the only thing I see that I dont already have is a Simpson. Either I have too much or I need to invest in a few duplicates.

Wow! I am waiting for a SOTD pic of your Weber DLC, then! Biggrin

If you don't have a Simpsons brush, then you might as well go for a Chubby 3 Manchurian! Thumbup

82 21,077
 01-30-2015, 09:09 AM
User Info
...or you can do simpson on the cheap and pick a fabulous 58 Lightbulb

ps - i think you also need a lutz slant for those mountain hikes Wink

7 1,624
 01-30-2015, 10:50 AM
User Info
I'm not sure what you have and/or tried already.  

Some winners for me include:
  • Razor: Above the Tie Slant (S1 or S2 plate) - this may be out of your budget, but the S2 is now my daily driver
  • Brush: Muhle or Plisson synthetic - I've tried boars and badgers, but I find the synthetics perform great, feel great, and are reasonably priced
  • Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat - great performer in the winter
  • Afershave: I'm really liking Fine lately - "American Blend" and "Clean Vetiver" are both great smelling and feel good on the face

1 135
 01-30-2015, 01:46 PM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
I liked celestino's suggestion of unrefined shea butter, but there's a lady in Asheville who whips up a shea butter, bee's wax, virgin coconut oil, and lavender essential oil concoction that is just heaven on a pink-shaven face!
If you're just buying to buy, try to get on Raphael Sanchez's list and wait for the next UFO announcement.  His handles are certainly less than $800 and exquisite to look at and hold.  More accessible, but just as lovely, are the Triad handles that Toby offers here in the Artisan section.
I think you should get your wife involved in the hunt and the selection.  You could be onto something really great, then!

16 91
 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
$800 custom!! You don't need that, waste of money. Guys overspend on them then NEED to rate them because of all the money sunk into them. On the other hand I have a Mastro Livi on listed on ebay for $345 and I'd appreciate it if you bought it. Wink

15 541
 01-30-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 08:53 AM)celestino Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 08:36 AM)captain caveman Wrote: thanks for your suggestions guys. So far the only thing I see that I dont already have is a Simpson. Either I have too much or I need to invest in a few duplicates.

Wow! I am waiting for a SOTD pic of your Weber DLC, then! Biggrin

If you don't have a Simpsons brush, then you might as well go for a Chubby 3 Manchurian! Thumbup

Sorry, I over looked the weber. I guess theres a couple of things I need.

6 589
 01-30-2015, 04:04 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 01:46 PM)TADIII Wrote: I liked celestino's suggestion of unrefined shea butter, but there's a lady in Asheville who whips up a shea butter, bee's wax, virgin coconut oil, and lavender essential oil concoction that is just heaven on a pink-shaven face!
If you're just buying to buy, try to get on Raphael Sanchez's list and wait for the next UFO announcement.  His handles are certainly less than $800 and exquisite to look at and hold.  More accessible, but just as lovely, are the Triad handles that Toby offers here in the Artisan section.
I think you should get your wife involved in the hunt and the selection.  You could be onto something really great, then!

My wife actually likes to look for shaving stuff at antique malls & flea markets.  Shy

6 589
 01-30-2015, 04:06 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 01:46 PM)TADIII Wrote: I liked celestino's suggestion of unrefined shea butter, but there's a lady in Asheville who whips up a shea butter, bee's wax, virgin coconut oil, and lavender essential oil concoction that is just heaven on a pink-shaven face!
I missed out on the UFO tornado. How does one get on his "list"?

6 589
 01-30-2015, 05:18 PM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 01:46 PM)TADIII Wrote: I liked celestino's suggestion of unrefined shea butter, but there's a lady in Asheville who whips up a shea butter, bee's wax, virgin coconut oil, and lavender essential oil concoction that is just heaven

Any link or further info, please, TADIII?

8 915
 01-30-2015, 05:49 PM
User Info
Do you have a Cobra? It's still my favorite, and daily razor.

31 1,800
 01-30-2015, 07:04 PM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(01-30-2015, 05:18 PM)Rory1262 Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 01:46 PM)TADIII Wrote: I liked celestino's suggestion of unrefined shea butter, but there's a lady in Asheville who whips up a shea butter, bee's wax, virgin coconut oil, and lavender essential oil concoction that is just heaven

Any link or further info, please, TADIII?

She has a website at http://www.faeriemadesoaps.com, but I don't see it among her current offerings.  You could probably drop her a line and see what she has.

16 91
 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
(01-30-2015, 04:06 PM)captain caveman Wrote:
I missed out on the UFO tornado. How does one get on his "list"?

I think if you try for an offering and miss, you wind up on his list.  The onus is still on you to have a quick trigger finger at the next offering, but I think he is more partial to those who have already tried and been disappointed.  Dr Dulcamara will have more insight than I about this.  I have read that sometimes a well-timed request might result in an offering from someone else's deal that fell through.

16 91