01-29-2015, 10:24 PM
User Info
There are many recipes on the 'net for pickled eggs. I got this one from a friend and it's the one I use with a slight change to make it less vinegary.

Pickled Eggs

3 dozen large eggs
6 cups White Vinegar *
2 cups water
2 medium to large onions, coarse chopped
5 cloves garlic, coarse chopped (I just crush them and I don't agonize over removing all of the skins)
1 gallon jar **

Optional:
1 Beet for color
4 Ripe Scotch Bonnet Peppers, coarse chopped
2 generously rounded TBL crushed red pepper

Add ½ of the liquid and all coarse chopped flavorings to jar.

Hardboil eggs, then shell them and add the eggs to the jar. The eggs should all easily fit in the jar and be covered by liquid.

If desired, a skinned, sliced red beet can be added for color.

Allow to sit at room temperature for 2-3 weeks for the pickle to fully absorb. Shelf life should be a few months (much longer in refrigeration), but they won’t last that long once you taste them.

Add salt and pepper as desired when eaten, a good hot sauce is also good on them if the hot peppers aren’t added to the jar. I think they make the best egg salad.
4 dozen of our eggs makes two ½ gallon jars with a few left over. When they come out of refrigeration for use, I just leave them on the kitchen counter, they will last a very long time even sitting out, but once on the countertop they disappear pretty quick.

*I now use 5 parts vinegar to 1 part water.
** I use whatever jars I have. Just be sure to take the jar size into account when adding the onion and garlic. Lately I've been using repurposed/reused pickled jalapeno jars that are about 1/2 gallon or so in size. Just be sure the lid isn't all corroded; I'd shy away from that.

If the head chef balks at this recipe because the pickle isn't boiled first, assure that person that the recipe is absolutely correct as it is.

32 6,445
 01-30-2015, 04:07 AM
User Info
Sounds good. I love. Spicy pickled quail eggs.

6 589
 01-30-2015, 04:41 AM
User Info
Thanks Brian. Id like to try this on a smaller scale. 

0 1,007
 01-30-2015, 06:26 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(01-30-2015, 04:07 AM)captain caveman Wrote: Sounds good. I love. Spicy pickled quail eggs.

That sounds like some delicious upscale bar food.

8 1,289
 01-30-2015, 08:38 AM
User Info
(01-30-2015, 04:41 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Thanks Brian. Id like to try this on a smaller scale. 

Feel free to adjust it. The "problem" with most pickled egg recipes that interest me (I don't keep or pay any attention to others) is that I need a way to preserve a lot of eggs. When the hens are laying the eggs need to have something done with them. Just because we have enough eggs the hens don't stop laying. They just keep doing what they do because they must.

As long as you cover the eggs with a sufficiently acid vinegar solution (don't dilute the vinegar to a significant amount) it will work. Everything else is for taste only.

32 6,445