01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
User Info
hello everyones,i bought a couples of soaps from a drugstore and also a cream on internet,at the drugstore did not have much choices but anyway the soaps dry on my face,i know i'm not fast with srtaight razor yet take about 8 min. for the first pass.i did try cold water but was the same,is my blood to hot for straight. Biggrin

0 9
 01-31-2015, 07:52 AM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
I've found that soap lather can dry quickly on me if I don't hydrate it enough...I like to start with a drier brush(well shaken) and load like a maniac, wetting the tips of my brush every 15 seconds or so...I will load for a good minute or so...then when I start to whip up my lather I add about a teaspoon of water at a time and whip like crazy....you'd be surprised how much water a good lather will hold.  Of course your local water may be different from mine so you'll have to experiment....but I've found that when in doubt use more product and slowly add more water!

0 62
 01-31-2015, 11:13 PM
User Info
DC, there is no rule stating that you can't refresh your lather in mid pass. There are places on my face where the lather dries but generally it's at the periphery where lather gets spread and I have no need of shaving. High on the cheekbones comes to mind. Too, our air right now is bone dry and the problem is made worse because of that. (I'm in Maine and we're bone dry right now too.)

But I also need to ask if you've practiced making lather to study it? It's quite instructive and while you may think it's a waste of soap, I assure you that it isn't since your face is worth far more than the small amount of  soap used. When practicing be sure to take the hydration of the lather too far and notice what happens. Any hydration level up to the point of the lather turning to froth is acceptable. Some soaps are better at wide ranging hydration levels than others.

32 6,445
 02-01-2015, 05:49 AM
  • okok
  • Still smiling
  • Indianapolis
User Info
Hi darkcowboy.  Good responses above, and probably more general than mine, because it sounds like you do need to work on your lather.  One thing that I thought of is Stirling soaps.  They work so well for me, and although there are a lot of good soaps out there, Stirling does such a great job I often recommend it.  Also, it is less expensive than most alternatives.  Two that I'm enjoying now are Electric Sheep and Bergamot Lavender.  And they offer "End Cuts" which is even less expensive and very good.  Try adding a bit of your cream to the soap mix - that can be helpful.

29 330
 02-01-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
i would like to say thank you to all the poeple who took the time to gives me good advice and tricks very apprecited,thanks again.

0 9
 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
Many of the artisanal soaps don't dry as quickly as the commercial ones, in my opinion. You may want to consider getting one or two or three!  Biggrin
Also, try to practice palm-lathering to see if you can hydrate the soap you are using at the moment to see if that helps with the drying. 
Good luck. 

82 21,056
 02-05-2015, 11:46 AM
User Info
Try a razorock shaving soap they work very well and last quite a while I've had your problem as I learn to use a straight 

5 116
 02-05-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
Lather your face in sections, not all at once since it's taking you a while to shave.  Better for it to sit in the brush than on your face.  Then add water to the brush before you lather up the next section on your face.

9 1,201
 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
I would recommend that you load the soap with a wet brush by swirling 30 times clockwise and then 30 times counterclockwise.  When you face lather or bowl lather splay the brush and add droplets of water to the middle of the brush.  This gives me best results especially so when the soap is a thirsty one.

2 60
 03-03-2015, 04:51 PM
User Info
+1 on the "add more water" advice.  If your lather is properly hydrated, it should last for at least 8 minutes.  At least the ones I've used have, and I tend to take my time.

0 1,052
 03-03-2015, 11:53 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(01-31-2015, 11:13 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: DC, there is no rule stating that you can't refresh your lather in mid pass. There are places on my face where the lather dries but generally it's at the periphery where lather gets spread and I have no need of shaving. High on the cheekbones comes to mind. Too, our air right now is bone dry and the problem is made worse because of that. (I'm in Maine and we're bone dry right now too.)

But I also need to ask if you've practiced making lather to study it? It's quite instructive and while you may think it's a waste of soap, I assure you that it isn't since your face is worth far more than the small amount of  soap used. When practicing be sure to take the hydration of the lather too far and notice what happens. Any hydration level up to the point of the lather turning to froth is acceptable. Some soaps are better at wide ranging hydration levels than others.

Plus 10.

2 1,683