01-30-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
Any advice on this? I'm wondering how to sanitize a used brush and brass razor, if i even need to. Thanks for any advice!

0 14
 01-30-2015, 01:37 PM
User Info
For razors, I do the following:

1. Bring some water to a boil
2. Let the water cool a bit so it isn't boiling
3. Put the razor in some kind of small container, pour the water over the razor, and add some Dawn dishwashing liquid
4. Let the razor sit for 2 to 24 hours *
5. Spray some Scrubbing Bubbles on the razor, and use a normal toothbrush to gently scrub it up
6. Repeat Step #5 if needed, or just rinse the razor off
7. Polish the razor with some Flitz or Maas polish and a soft cloth

* Depending on how much soap scum/gunk is on the razor, I may change out the water and/or let it sit for longer.

I haven't sanitized a brush before.

1 135
 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM
User Info
I believe I read somewhere that borax is good for sanitizing brushes.  I know it cleans them pretty well, but I'm not sure if it kills germs.  I also read that something like Barbicide will work if used correctly, but I haven't tried it.

0 1,055
 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
There is a video somewhere that shows how to clean a brush using vinegar & water solution. I can't remember the details or where I saw the video. You might Google it to find it.

0 22
 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM
User Info
I have just used an old, used toothbrush with mild soap for the razor and quite a few palm-lathers for brushes with very good results. You can, also, polish the razors if you want them looking even better. 

82 21,056
 01-31-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
I've used MAC makeup brush cleaner to clean used brushes based on advice from others. Seems to to a great job.

0 33
 01-31-2015, 11:42 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
You can always spray some lysol (can spray) on the razor to sanitize (kills germs, etc.) On your razor.

2 479
 02-01-2015, 05:13 AM
  • TADIII
  • Gilletter from Home
  • FL & NC
User Info
For brushes, I have used a capfull of white vinegar in a cup of hot (but not boiling) water.  The acetic acid in vinegar is anti-microbial.  As a side-note, I treat my own from-new brushes to this treatment about once a year to reduce soap sediment deep in the brush.

I don't know if the vinegar has a negative impact on the plating of a razor (vintage or new).

15 89
 02-01-2015, 05:59 AM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
I've got one of those pulsating toothbrushes that I use on old razors. Tootpaste works wonders to get the gunk cleaned out after a good soak in alcohol.

I've used rubbing alcohol, but I suppose some rum would work, too!

-joedy

12 87
 02-01-2015, 12:27 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Here's what I do...
Razor cleaning:  Scrubbing bubbles and very hot (NOT boiling) water with a toothbrush.  A drop or two of Wahl's clipper oil for my adjustables.
Razor sanitizing:  Barbicide (no longer than 5 minutes).
Brush cleaning:  10 minute soak in diluted white vinegar solution.  Followed by a hand-lather with conditioning baby shampoo and thorough rinsing.
Brush sanitizing:  I don't do this, but I suppose a quick dip in rubbing alcohol wouldn't hurt them.

47 1,902
 02-01-2015, 01:08 PM
User Info
For razors, I scrub using a toothbrush and over-the-counter anti-bacterial soap.  For brushes, I give a good hot water rinse.

Ed

21 751