02-01-2015, 06:17 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Some years ago, I had either the Simpson Chubby 2 or 3 in super badger, I forget which, and to my regret sold it. I am considering buying another one. Those of you who have used these brushes — again, in super and not best, as I dislike the Simpson best knots — please give me your overall impression. Maybe that will jar my memory. Thanks.

153 3,133
 02-01-2015, 08:15 AM
User Info
Correct me if I am mistaken, but the "Silvertip" badger hair is the same as super. My CH2 has the absolute softest bristles of all my brushes, bar none. 
[Image: YWFsLnm.jpg]
You need to find yourself another one!

39 3,955
 02-01-2015, 08:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Primo,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, the Simpson "super" badger and the standard "silvertip" from other brush brands are in the general neighborhood in the softness of the tips. For years, I have had a battle with the Simpson brushes. First of all, I abhor the "pure" badgers in any brands; I find them scratchy and unpleasant. The Simpson "best" badgers are scratchy enough for me to dislike them in general, the exceptions being the Duke 3 and the Commodore 3; they are sweet brushes as long as I lather in paint brush motion, although I wish they came in "supers" as well.

That brings us to the "super" badgers. I think they are lovely despite the hint of scratchy tips. Through the years, I have had a parade of Simpson "supers" and, to my regret, sold them all for reasons that have to do more with the handle than the knot. I think the reason I sold my Chubby 2 or 3 super, I forget which, was most likely because of the short handle. Yet, I think it is worth giving the Chubby another chance and accepting the short handle for what it is. I loved the Tulip 4 in "super" and sold it, too, and that's another regret. Henceforth, the Simpson "supers" I buy will be keepers. 

After several years without any Simpson "supers" in my humble shave den, I now have the Polo 10 in "super" and find it exquisite in every way. It's a big brush and helps create a luxurious lathering experience. The Chubby 3 "super," the Tulip 4 "super" and the Persian Jar 3 "super" are on my list next, but first I must sell my Lamborghini to amass the fortune for these brushes.

153 3,133
 02-01-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 08:15 AM)primotenore Wrote: Correct me if I am mistaken, but the "Silvertip" badger hair is the same as super. My CH2 has the absolute softest bristles of all my brushes, bar none. 

SilverTip is 2-band
Super is 3-band (unless you got my old Chubby 2 2-band, which came in a Super handle)

24 6,020
 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Here is a Chubby 2 Band with a "Super" marked handle. Current nomenclature of "Silvertip" for Simpson 2 Band is a recent marketing gig. I have a T&H 3 Band Super that is marked Silvertip. So was a custom Duke in 3 Band Super that I owned.

I have had various 3 Band and 2 Band "Super" brushes. The 2 Band has been consistently very soft as of the 2012 batches. The 3 Band Super has been hit and miss for me.

[Image: piAGF2t.jpg]

39 1,896
 02-01-2015, 01:15 PM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 08:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 08:15 AM)primotenore Wrote: Correct me if I am mistaken, but the "Silvertip" badger hair is the same as super. My CH2 has the absolute softest bristles of all my brushes, bar none. 

SilverTip is 2-band
Super is 3-band (unless you got my old Chubby 2 2-band, which came in a Super handle)

Claus,
This is the original knot. I did purchase it on our own B/S/T, but from this side of the pond.

39 3,955
 02-01-2015, 01:16 PM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 08:50 AM)Obie Wrote: Primo,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, the Simpson "super" badger and the standard "silvertip" from other brush brands are in the general neighborhood in the softness of the tips. For years, I have had a battle with the Simpson brushes. First of all, I abhor the "pure" badgers in any brands; I find them scratchy and unpleasant. The Simpson "best" badgers are scratchy enough for me to dislike them in general, the exceptions being the Duke 3 and the Commodore 3; they are sweet brushes as long as I lather in paint brush motion, although I wish they came in "supers" as well.

That brings us to the "super" badgers. I think they are lovely despite the hint of scratchy tips. Through the years, I have had a parade of Simpson "supers" and, to my regret, sold them all for reasons that have to do more with the handle than the knot. I think the reason I sold my Chubby 2 or 3 super, I forget which, was most likely because of the short handle. Yet, I think it is worth giving the Chubby another chance and accepting the short handle for what it is. I loved the Tulip 4 in "super" and sold it, too, and that's another regret. Henceforth, the Simpson "supers" I buy will be keepers. 

After several years without any Simpson "supers" in my humble shave den, I now have the Polo 10 in "super" and find it exquisite in every way. It's a big brush and helps create a luxurious lathering experience. The Chubby 3 "super," the Tulip 4 "super" and the Persian Jar 3 "super" are on my list next, but first I must sell my Lamborghini to amass the fortune for these brushes.
How much for the Lamborghini?

39 3,955
 02-01-2015, 01:26 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Primo,

I sold the Lamborghini a few minutes ago to make the funds to pay for the Simpson Chubby 3 in super. 

The Chubby that I sold years ago, noted in my initial post, must have been the Chubby 1 or 2, I think. This time, however, the Chubby 3 in super called to me, so I purchased it with the Lamborghini check.

Now, I must also reclaim my Tulib 4 in super, I also sold some years ago, and for that, I'll probably have to sell my Ferrari Testarossa. That should bring me $234, what?

Stay well and thank you for your comments.

153 3,133
 02-01-2015, 01:33 PM
User Info
Obie, that Chubby 2 Super is going to be a massive brush. I find my two Chubby 2 Supers to be the densest knots I have in my collection and the Chubby 3 Super will be massive with tons of lather-hogging! Nonetheless, I am sure you will enjoy it, immensely! 
I was going to recommend the Chubby 2, but since you have already purchased the Chubby 3, enjoy, my friend!  Smile

83 21,115
 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
User Info
Welcome back into the fold of large brushes..........
[Image: iPL8mft.jpg]

20 441
 02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Celestino and Stickbow,

I debated between the Chubby 2 and 3 and eventually went with the 3. I have always always liked these dense Simpson "super" brushes — can't stand the pure and generally dislike the bests, except for the Duke 3 and Commodore 3. At one time I had a whole series of these dense supers — Chubby, Tulip, Polo and Persian Jar — and loved them, but what made me sell them eventually was not only the small handles on some, but also other brushes came into the picture and challenged them.

I do prefer big brushes, my sweet spot being 26 to 30mm knots. I have a 30mm Thater two-band and it is simply lovely. My two 28mm two-band Thaters are lovely, too. So I ordered the Chubby 3 super yesterday; then overnight some additional money came in for some public relations stuff I had written for a company. Well now, this morning I placed an order for the Tulip 4 in super. The Tulip 4, which I've had before, carries a 25mm knot, but it is dense enough to give it a "big" feel.

The Persian Jar 3 in super is next on my purchase list, but I have to wait a while. This one has a 24mm knot, but the super is such a sweet brush that I make an exception for the smallish knot.

153 3,133
 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 01:26 PM)KObie Wrote: Primo,

I sold the Lamborghini a few minutes ago to make the funds to pay for the Simpson Chubby 3 in super. 

The Chubby that I sold years ago, noted in my initial post, must have been the Chubby 1 or 2, I think. This time, however, the Chubby 3 in super called to me, so I purchased it with the Lamborghini check.

Now, I must also reclaim my Tulib 4 in super, I also sold some years ago, and for that, I'll probably have to sell my Ferrari Testarossa. That should bring me $234, what?

Stay well and thank you for your comments.
Enjoy that big fat super chubby. To me, it's like rubbing a bunny rabbit across my face. (My Chubby 3, that is)

39 3,955
 02-02-2015, 08:12 PM
User Info
I have a Chubby 1 in Super that I've had for about 2 months now. Almost sold it but it's hanging around still. It's got a ton of scrub, just a hint of scritch, and absolutely destroys soaps like no other brush I've ever had. It's a wonderful face lathering brush and the ultimate brush for shave sticks IMO. I NEVER get any unlathered soap stuck to my razor when I use this brush with a shave stick. It's a bit of a lather hog but produces enough that it doesn't matter. I also don't see a need to go any larger than a Size 1 with this brush because I consider it a pure face latherer but that's totally up to preference and what one is looking for in their brush. I love big brushes also, but if it's going to be big I want something much more soft and luxurious also.

3 96
 02-02-2015, 10:13 PM
User Info
Obie, I hope you enjoy the brushes, again!  Biggrin

83 21,115
 02-03-2015, 12:17 AM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 01:15 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 08:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: SilverTip is 2-band

Claus,
This is the original knot. I did purchase it on our own B/S/T, but from this side of the pond.

I think yours is an old stock 2-band with Super on the handle.

Otherwise the 3-band Super knot is set too low in the handle, and Simpson very rarely does that.

What the OP asks about is the 3-band Super.

The new stock 2-band from Simpson is sold in handles stamped Silvertip.
The old stock 2-band came in both handles stamped Super and Best.

3-band Super only comes in handles stamped Super.

24 6,020
 02-03-2015, 06:33 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 12:17 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 01:15 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 08:54 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: SilverTip is 2-band

Claus,

I think yours is an old stock 2-band with Super on the handle.

Otherwise the 3-band Super knot is set too low in the handle, and Simpson very rarely does that.

What the OP asks about is the 3-band Super.

The new stock 2-band from Simpson is sold in handles stamped Silvertip.
The old stock 2-band came in both handles stamped Super and Best.

3-band Super only comes in handles stamped Super.
Claus,
Mine is clearly stamped "Silvertip" I am not sure how old the stock is though.

39 3,955
 02-03-2015, 06:54 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 06:33 AM)primotenore Wrote: Mine is clearly stamped "Silvertip" I am not sure how old the stock is though.

...and it's a beaut! please sell it my way if you ever get tired of it Wink

7 1,624
 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 06:54 AM)tonsorius Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 06:33 AM)primotenore Wrote: Mine is clearly stamped "Silvertip" I am not sure how old the stock is though.

Takk for å legge merke til!  Smile

39 3,955
 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 01:56 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 06:54 AM)tonsorius Wrote:

Takk for å legge merke til!  Smile

imponerende! takk i like måte, kjære første tenor Biggrin

7 1,624
 02-03-2015, 05:35 PM
User Info
You're welcome. 

39 3,955