06-17-2015, 08:53 AM
User Info
Aside from the usual Spoilers, Schick Super Chromiums, and vintage Wilkinsons, which I fully approve of, the blades I love most and that I think are most neglected are the NOS blades Tomac hospital blades (England) I managed to buy in quantity.  Not quite as sharp as many of the competitors, but very smooth, and very consistent for many shaves.  Since they cost me even less than many modern blades I am happy to have built up a stash of them.

Of the more recent NOS blades, I like the early Polsilvers.  And I suppose since the 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Blues) are now NOS, I would include them as among my favorites too.  Certainly my favorites of the 21st century blades.

7 84
 06-20-2015, 04:05 PM
User Info
A Schick Plus Platinum. spoilers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 378
 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM
User Info
I've got a question as I await my 1st Personna 74's.. I have 2 packages of the "Vintage Wilkinson Cromium blades". They have the picture of the battle, etc, except they say "Made in USA" in the back of the package.?

2 64
 08-26-2015, 03:06 PM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 02:54 PM)StraightEdge Wrote: I've got a question as I await my 1st Personna 74's.. I have 2 packages of the "Vintage Wilkinson Cromium blades". They have the picture of the battle, etc, except they say "Made in USA" in the back of the package.?
What is the question?

Some of those vintage Wilkinson blades are awesome.

All evidence has been buried. All tapes have been erased.

8 2,718
 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM
User Info
My apologies, I was under the impression they were made in England, however the manufacturing address is from NJ, and they say "Printed in the USA" on them.?

1 21
 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM
User Info
The only one that I know was a vintage blade that I've tried is the Schick.  I grabbed one from a passaround box.  Great blade.

1 297
 08-26-2015, 08:10 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(08-26-2015, 03:35 PM)BAD-RAD Wrote: My apologies, I was under the impression they were made in England, however the manufacturing address is from NJ, and they say "Printed in the USA" on them.?

Have no fear, those are indeed English Wilkinson blades. The packaging was done in America as I'm sure they were trying to maximize the amount of blades they could ship over in a container. Vintage Wilkinson blades are my favorite by far and I have several different packages in my collection. Not one single blade has disappointed me yet!

145 2,808
 08-27-2015, 06:17 AM
User Info
(08-26-2015, 08:10 PM)blzrfn Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 03:35 PM)BAD-RAD Wrote: My apologies, I was under the impression they were made in England, however the manufacturing address is from NJ, and they say "Printed in the USA" on them.?

Have no fear, those are indeed English Wilkinson blades. The packaging was done in America as I'm sure they were trying to maximize the amount of blades they could ship over in a container. Vintage Wilkinson blades are my favorite by far and I have several different packages in my collection. Not one single blade has disappointed me yet!

Awesome.! Thanks for the info, is is against the rules to ask for photos, attach photos, etc.? I would love to see your favorite vintage blades.

Curious, I would assume it is just speculation, that they quit making these long lasting blades to help w/ sales? I've read this several times... Thoughts?

1 21
 08-27-2015, 07:20 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(08-27-2015, 06:17 AM)BAD-RAD Wrote:
(08-26-2015, 08:10 PM)blzrfn Wrote:

Awesome.! Thanks for the info, is is against the rules to ask for photos, attach photos, etc.? I would love to see your favorite vintage blades.

Curious, I would assume it is just speculation, that they quit making these long lasting blades to help w/ sales? I've read this several times... Thoughts?

I will try and get some pictures together, but that requires a little bit of digging and organization so might take a little while.

As to the production of the blades, the rise of cartridge razors popularity was probably the main cause of the English Wilkies demise.  The Wilkinson was the first stainless steel blade manufactured and the longevity of the blades in itself hurt the double edge industry.  Before stainless blades were available most companies promoted a one shave and discard mentality, which kept sales volume high.  Utilizing a stainless blade that could last a week, or longer, would cut the amount of blades one needed to purchase drastically and would force manufacturers to either raise the prices to compensate or offer alternatives that were higher profit (patented cartridge razors were the end result).

145 2,808
 08-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Spoilers work well for me. I did snag a few hundred of Tomac hospital blades, so I'll get them out this autumn for a trial

19 745
 08-31-2015, 08:41 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Here's a list of all the blades I use, and the only blades I use.  In no particular order......
Personna 74
Wilkinson Chromium (Light Brigades)
Gillette Platinum Plus
Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge (carbon)
Schick Plus Platinums
Personna Super Stainless (G.B. & U.S.A. ones)
Gillette Super Blues (carbons)
Wilkinson Super Sword Edge
Gillette Stainless
Gillette Super Stainless (Spoilers)
Gillette Thins (carbons)
Schick Thin (carbons)
Personna Electro-Coat
Gillette Blues (carbons)
Schick Krona-Chrome
Schick Stainless
Schick Super Stainless

The carbon ones take a little extra vigilance and occasionally you have to toss some you thought were sealed and good to go, but they can be well worth it. And I get at least double the shaves from the old stainless ones as I used to get from the best modern ones. If you keep your eyes open you can still get some good deals. I just picked up 20 more P74 for $27.00 Considering I get a month  more or less out of one, that makes for a damn good R.O.I.

7 2,351
 08-31-2015, 02:05 PM
User Info
(08-31-2015, 08:41 AM)Mouser Wrote: Here's a list of all the blades I use, and the only blades I use.  In no particular order......
Personna 74
Wilkinson Chromium (Light Brigades)
Gillette Platinum Plus
Schick Deluxe with Krona Edge (carbon)
Schick Plus Platinums
Personna Super Stainless (G.B. & U.S.A. ones)
Gillette Super Blues (carbons)
Wilkinson Super Sword Edge
Gillette Stainless
Gillette Super Stainless (Spoilers)
Gillette Thins (carbons)
Schick Thin (carbons)
Personna Electro-Coat
Gillette Blues (carbons)
Schick Krona-Chrome
Schick Stainless
Schick Super Stainless

The carbon ones take a little extra vigilance and occasionally you have to toss some you thought were sealed and good to go, but they can be well worth it. And I get at least double the shaves from the old stainless ones as I used to get from the best modern ones. If you keep your eyes open you can still get some good deals. I just picked up 20 more P74 for $27.00 Considering I get a month  more or less out of one, that makes for a damn good R.O.I.

Great list of blades.  I have and use most of them and I find the old carbons, especially the Gillette Thins, to be the most enjoyable shaving blades I've tried.

0 52
 08-31-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
An impressive list of blades.   Must take a long time to do the rotation!

My two favorites are (1) For DE, I still prefer the classic Super Iridiums;  have a large stock of them.  (2) For injector (yes, injector:  I use a Pal Stainless razor), nothing comes close to the old Schick Plus Platinums.

2 155
 09-01-2015, 03:26 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(08-31-2015, 02:11 PM)radioman4 Wrote: An impressive list of blades.   Must take a long time to do the rotation!

My two favorites are (1) For DE, I still prefer the classic Super Iridiums;  have a large stock of them.  (2) For injector (yes, injector:  I use a Pal Stainless razor), nothing comes close to the old Schick Plus Platinums.

I found I had to re-direct a burgeoning BAD (brush acquisition disorder) for financial reasons to something a little less expensive and yes, it does take a while to go thru the list especially when I get to the extraordinarily long lasting P74s. But I was amazed at how every vintage blade gives an extremely good shave whereas many modern ones fall quite short of the mark.

7 2,351
 09-02-2015, 08:01 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(09-01-2015, 03:26 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(08-31-2015, 02:11 PM)radioman4 Wrote: An impressive list of blades.   Must take a long time to do the rotation!

I found I had to re-direct a burgeoning BAD (brush acquisition disorder) for financial reasons to something a little less expensive and yes, it does take a while to go thru the list especially when I get to the extraordinarily long lasting P74s. But I was amazed at how every vintage blade gives an extremely good shave whereas many modern ones fall quite short of the mark.

While I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment, you'll want to keep it on the down-low if you want to keep the acquisition costs reasonable.  Just enjoy them quietly and we'll all be happy!  ;-)

145 2,808
 09-03-2015, 01:43 AM
User Info
My all time favourites. Gillette Platinum plus, Uk wilkies, Gillette Super Stainless and stainless.
With exception to old carbon blue blades (did not like), I have not tried other stainless NOS blades.

0 76
 09-03-2015, 04:28 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(09-03-2015, 01:43 AM)DB1 Wrote: My all time favourites. Gillette Platinum plus, Uk wilkies, Gillette Super Stainless and stainless.
With exception to old carbon blue blades (did not like), I have not tried other stainless NOS blades.

You have to make sure ,with old carbon blades, that you get them out of an sealed package. Sealed. Unbroken.  You get a hold of some pristine carbon Schick Krona Deluxes and you'll have one of the best shaves you ever had.

7 2,351
 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM
User Info
Damn, Anyone have a good reliable source of Personna 74s that DONT cost an arm and a leg?

Been on the lookout but fleabay only has vendors asking for boku monies.

18 655
 09-04-2015, 08:43 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(09-03-2015, 04:35 PM)GloryUprising Wrote: Damn, Anyone have a good reliable source of Personna 74s that DONT cost an arm and a leg?

Been on the lookout but fleabay only has vendors asking for boku monies.

You gotta be patient. I just picked up a jumbo pack dispenser of 20 for $27.00. The same seller had two up for sale, the one I got was a bidding auction, his other is a "Buy Now" for $99.99. Considering I get up to 28 or 30 shaves out of one...........

7 2,351
 09-13-2015, 07:08 AM
User Info
(09-04-2015, 08:43 AM)Mouser Wrote: I just picked up a jumbo pack dispenser of 20 for $27.00. The same seller had two up for sale, the one I got was a bidding auction, his other is a "Buy Now" for $99.99. Considering I get up to 28 or 30 shaves out of one...........

I thoroughly enjoy using vintage stainless blades and to each their own but over a buck a blade is too rich for me. I get a week shaving from good quality new production blades but 2 weeks from Vintage NOS stainless blades like Gillette super stainless or UK wilkies.

0 76