02-01-2015, 04:21 PM
User Info
We celebrated my daughter's birthday today. She asked for the mousse for dessert. This is how I made it.

These are the main ingredients. (My kid is stealing the chocolate bits before I even start Smile )
[Image: pgqNj5Y.jpg]

Bottom Layer: dark chocolate. 
Using a double boiler I melted chocolate and butter.
[Image: dEO7MX9.jpg]

While the chocolate was cooling I beat egg whites and brown sugar. I added egg yolks and vanilla to the chocolate. Then I folded in the egg whites/sugar mixture.
[Image: MmnqhJF.jpg]

Once this is even colored I transfer this to a springform pan and bake.  When it cools it collapses and forms a dense later.

[Image: Hm1nrHW.jpg]

Middle Layer: Milk chocolate. 
This is a mousse made from chocolate and cream.
[Image: e2c14gY.jpg]
The chocolate is melted in a double boiler. I dissolved cocoa powder in a little water and this is added to the slightly cooled melted chocolate.

I whip the cream with the whisk attachment. The bowl and whisk were chilled in the freezer. You can see the frost on the bowl. The chilled bowl helps prevent the whipped cream from breaking down due to heat.
[Image: 6f6F8CZ.jpg]

The whipped cream is folded into the melted chocolate.
[Image: tbjNnCK.jpg]

This milk chocolate is put on top of the dark chocolate layer.
[Image: d6f5Ryo.jpg]

I had to work fast to stay ahead of my daughter.
[Image: aFQ5SBc.jpg]

The milk chocolate layer is spread around and then the pan is placed in the refrigerator to chill.
[Image: FYN15D1.jpg]

Top Layer: White Chocolate
The double boiler is not needed in this step. A portion of cream is heated on the stove top and then poured over the white chips. They are stirred until melted. Then a little gelatin is added to stabilize the mousse.
[Image: 3paiKfx.jpg]

Then whip some more cream in the chilled bowl. Fold the whipped cream into the melted white chocolate mixture.
[Image: Nf8rSHX.jpg]

Once blended this white chocolate layer is spread on top of the middle layer. it is then chilled for 3 hours, at least, prior to serving.
[Image: O9HjooY.jpg]

This is the finished product.
[Image: 0ZHe5bj.jpg]

It is absolutely delicious. It is also very rich so a small piece served with tea is all that is needed.
[Image: s9OsX8Q.jpg]

Start to finish (when I put it in the fridge for the final chill) takes 2 and 1/2 hours. A lot of that is cleaning the gear to use for the next layer. 

My daughter watched the whole process and declared it didn't look to hard. I would not call it difficult but it does require thinking ahead. It is worth it.

Phil

7 363
 02-01-2015, 04:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, your photos, without free samples, can easily be construed as cruel and unusual punishment!  Dodgy

That looks sooooooo good.  Looks like your daughter was not disappointed. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 02-01-2015, 08:18 PM
User Info
(02-01-2015, 04:42 PM)freddy Wrote: Phil, your photos, without free samples, can easily be construed as cruel and unusual punishment!  Dodgy

That looks sooooooo good.  Looks like your daughter was not disappointed.
So agreed! Delicious Phil!

1 1,975
 02-01-2015, 08:36 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
What a great looking cake. I have a wife and daughter who are chocoholics, and I think I'll try to make one for them on the next special occasion. And which lovely pen did she receive this birthday?

38 5,030
 02-02-2015, 12:28 AM
User Info
Looks and sounds delicious! I can feel my waistline growing as I was reading that.

32 6,445
 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-01-2015, 04:21 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: We celebrated my daughter's birthday today. She asked for the mousse for dessert. This is how I made it...

Hi Phil

That looks simply scrumptious Babeando Hambre Babeando

I trust your daughter realises how lucky she is Heart

Have I told you? I'm your long lost... and my birthday is in May Angel

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-05-2015, 12:31 PM
User Info
(02-04-2015, 11:46 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(02-01-2015, 04:21 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: We celebrated my daughter's birthday today. She asked for the mousse for dessert. This is how I made it...

Hi Phil

That looks simply scrumptious Babeando Hambre Babeando

I trust your daughter realises how lucky she is Heart

Have I told you? I'm your long lost... and my birthday is in May Angel

Take care, Mike

Yes my daughter realizes how good she has it. But watching the look of pure bliss as she enjoys the mousse is worth it.

If you ever travel east to these parts I would be glad to share a pot of tea with you and bake this or scones to enjoy.

Phil

7 363
 02-05-2015, 01:01 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-05-2015, 12:31 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: If you ever travel east to these parts I would be glad to share a pot of tea with you and bake this or scones to enjoy.

Careful Phil, as one day I might very well take you up on that offer Cheers

23 1,872