06-05-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
I really, really enjoy shaving in the old fashioned way; soap, brush and double edged blade*. I enjoy it so much I rather go for the cave man look than having to use a cartridge or electric razor - in fact, I enjoy it so much I want to share the enjoyment with the world!

There are several reasons for wanting to share. At the very core, I find it to quite simply to give a much superior shave and a much, much more enjoyable experience in the bathroom. Then you have the enjoyment of trawling the various online shops in the various corners of the world - from Turkey to Brooklyn NY, from Spain to the UK. And not to forget, the fun of talking to like minded shavers from even further abroad online.

Which off course leaves the question of how to properly introduce others to this all too absorbing hobby of mine... without coming across as a weirdo or worse. Not an easy one to answer, that is for sure.

One thing I have considered is assembling a Pay It Forward Starter Kit - PIFSK - and hand out as gifts. A quick look around shows me that I can assemble a decent one for less than 10 USD, meaning no one will be heartbroken if the recipient finds that old fashioned shaving isn't for him (or her, for that matter).

Such a kit would most likely consist of a Turkish No6 brush, a stick/tube of Arko soap/cream, some good blades and a cheap razor - right now the choices are between a Yuma and a Racer razor; neither of which I have tried. And I can't really create a PIFSK without knowing that all the things in it is of decent - preferable good or even great - quality, can I? Add to that a card with some quick instructions**, some links to places online to learn more and perhaps some pointers on brush and razor care... printed out on nice, thick paper.

I got a Yuma and a Racer on order... and I do look forward to testing them out with an eye to lure even more people into the joy that is the old fashioned way of shaving - which off course would mean trying them with several blades I consider good to find the best match... or maybe two best matches.

So what y'all think? Am I going about this the right way, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

*) Main reason I haven't branched out into single edges and straights so far is that I want to keep a little bit of control on my various ADs and my budget...
**) Wash face. Rub shave stick over stubble. Use wetted brush to build lather directly on face. Shave with short, controlled strokes while maintaining proper angle. Rinse face. Apply more lather. Shave again. Rinse well. Apply aftershave or balm of your choice.

3 3,559
 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I think it is a lofty goal and one worth pursuing with your friends. Just think, if we could get every male in the world to start wet shaving and communicating for forums, we could get rid of the United Nations and declare world peace.

173 23,499
 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 10:18 AM)Johnny Wrote: I think it is a lofty goal and one worth pursuing with your friends. Just think, if we could get every male in the world to start wet shaving and communicating for forums, we could get rid of the United Nations and declare world peace.

Yep, they'd all be too busy shaving, participating on the forums and trying to get their hands on the next must-have shaving item to fight any wars. Biggrin

Oh! And a lot of women shave too!

37 1,731
 06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I can tell you from experience the Racer razor (made by Lord) is first quality despite the low price. I have no experience with the Yuma. What a great and generous idea you have.

100 12,438
 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM
User Info
Great idea, Hans. Keep up the good work.

75 20,883
 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
In my limited experience It's not the "normal" folks of the world who get us into wars. We normal folks get along just fine, even when we can't understand each others language (we use hand gestures {good ones} and get by), if we just try; and most normal folks do try. Just look at the shaving forums.

(Trying not to be political here)

It's go'vermins that start wars and the egomaniacs and narcissists in charge who create the problems that they can solve with our blood to prove they're worthy of leading us to solve the problems that they create. (round and round and round and we never catch on) We need people in office who need to dragged there, not folks who want to run.

Anyway, WW, it's a wonderful thing you're planning on doing. I guarantee it'll give you a really good feeling to do it. There is a saying here in the States, "Give 'til it hurts.", I prefer a different saying, "Give until it feels good.". That's what you're about my friend.

Another way to do it is the "stand" approach. What I've done in the past is put together a noob kit just waiting for the right person to post. I call it the stand approach becasue it's like being on "stand" when hunting. You wait for the quarry to come to you. When the "right person" posts I offer it to them. Frankly, all my friends are converted (those who care about grooming) so the only gents I get to "do" this to are on the 'net.

I do it to feel good and help others, and you can't possibly imagine what has come of it. When folks act the way you plan to, all sorts of things come of it, not planned or with anything in mind, it just happens. It's absolutely amazing, and it's happened too many times for it to be accidental. People respond in kind.

I've had some folks ask, "What can I do to help?". My response has always been to just pass it on to keep the "good" going around.

Keep your eyes open as you undertake this and see if what I'm telling you doesn't happen.

32 6,308
 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I think it's a good idea. The only thing I would suggest is that you'd want to make sure that they're interested before sending it along. I've read on other forums on some of the successes (and more often misses) with trying to convert others. It sounds like most people are say "I hate using a cartridge, it hurts but I don't want to change. It's fast and that's all I care about". Which, is something that is more a part of society now. Fast is more important than anything else. And that's just the way it is. That's been my experience too in talking to people about it.

But, if you talk to friends and they mention they'd want to give it a try then this is an awesome way to get them started. GO FOR IT!

I guess long story short, don't give it to someone that won't use it or really doesn't want to change.

0 353
 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've converted two people and I gave one a Merkur HD and the other a Ball End Tech which was also a mild razor. I also gave each some good blades and a few soaps/creams. Both were also given the Liesureguy book before they started. It seems to me their first expirence DE shaving will hinge on the razor and blade they use. I tried to set them up to succeed by giving them the mildest razors I had paired with the right blade.

45 3,955
 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Well, both my nephews complain about modern cartridge blades really burning their face. They shave very seldom on that account. One just uses clippers like a barber uses on hair to trim his facial hair.

I think if you know a younger guy who is complaining about this same thing you would have a fairly good chance of "converting" him if you can show him that he can get a good shave without tearing his face to shreds. Start him out with a very mild razor and some good aftershave. Remember, these guys probably seldom shave so I suspect we need to go slow introducing them to a better way.

0 396
 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
You're on the right path! Knowing WHEN and WHO to give your kit out to, will take a keen sense of listening to others. For me, at The Groom Room, we teach traditional shave clinics every month, and they sell out each month! It's an awesome thing to see 20+ men, all learning to shave with DE's, and all their wet shaving supplies. My situation is different than that of yours, as the men who attend our clinics WANT to be there, and want to learn to get better, closer, and more comfortable shaves. This makes them better prospects for our situation.

One thing you can do, is to hold or host your own shave clinics. Get together with a local barbershop or men's salon where you are, and find out if they will be willing to host your clinic, and to help promote it. Charge a fee to cover the cost of your kits and make a little profit (or not) and go from there. At The GROOM ROOM, I have been truly amazed at just how many men attend our clinics! Last year alone, more than 260 guys attended our clinics, and are shaving with DE's now. Again, our situation is way above that of doing 'single converts', but it only started with just a couple of clients wanting to get better shave results.

0 28
 06-05-2012, 08:34 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(06-05-2012, 08:22 PM)TheGRman Wrote: You're on the right path! Knowing WHEN and WHO to give your kit out to, will take a keen sense of listening to others. For me, at The Groom Room, we teach traditional shave clinics every month, and they sell out each month! It's an awesome thing to see 20+ men, all learning to shave with DE's, and all their wet shaving supplies. My situation is different than that of yours, as the men who attend our clinics WANT to be there, and want to learn to get better, closer, and more comfortable shaves. This makes them better prospects for our situation.

One thing you can do, is to hold or host your own shave clinics. Get together with a local barbershop or men's salon where you are, and find out if they will be willing to host your clinic, and to help promote it. Charge a fee to cover the cost of your kits and make a little profit (or not) and go from there. At The GROOM ROOM, I have been truly amazed at just how many men attend our clinics! Last year alone, more than 260 guys attended our clinics, and are shaving with DE's now. Again, our situation is way above that of doing 'single converts', but it only started with just a couple of clients wanting to get better shave results.

That's a dang good idea!

0 396
 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
I have been dealing with this issue a lot more lately, now that folks we know have heard we are producing razors. So, I am really interested in what you guys come up with as a DE starter kit. Techs and Superspeeds are just not as readily available for the $5 or less I had been paying a couple of years ago.

I have used a different approach with guys who seem somewhat interested, but also seem nervous about DE when I talk to them. For them I have been getting the Bumpfighter twin blade handles and the twin blade Wilkinson carts from Walmart, less than $10 for both. The handles were available at Walmart, but I have not seen them there recently, so the last few I bought were at CVS. The biggest benefit to this approach is that they learn to use a razor that does not pivot so they get some basic handling skills down. If they like it, then I move them on to DE. The other benefit is that they have a good travel set up.

3 68
 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
The success that I have had is to introduce the soap and brush. Guys seem drawn to that a little easier than the razor. I think it is the scents available coupled with the nostalgia. I got two gentleman I work with to dabble by giving them a soap and brush gift set as a thank you for favors they had done.

2 697
 06-08-2012, 07:13 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I posted earlier that I was trying to convert my 33 year old nephew to DE shaving. Tonight he and his wife of one month came to visit. I gave him some good shaving soap, an aftershave, some shave creams, and a new brush. He hasn't shaved since the last time when I showed him how. He said "I'll shave again tomorrow." His wife, after smelling the products I gave him, said "You'll shave tonight!!!"

Heh heh heh heh heh. This is probably method B to get a young guy started. Appeal to the girl friend or wife. Biggrin

Oh yeah, I told him to let me know how the shave goes and she said "I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE SHAVE GOES!"

I'm telling you, I believe he will shave more often now for sure and use the good stuff to boot.

0 396