06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
User Info
Hi All,

For the last several months I have been hosting a Cobra Classic tour over at Badger and Blade and it seems the tour may have run its course. While there are still a handful of members in the queue, when it ends I was curious if there is interest in a tour here at the Shave Nook. It has been on the road so long I bought another one, so I am willing to keep the tour going as long as there is interest. I provide the razor. I provide the blades. You have to shave yourself.

If there is interest I am still contemplating the qualifications for the tour. As I am a junior member, and do not know many of you, I may look to the Moderators for some assistance to help "vet" the initial participants until I am more active and get to know you all. And while I know the Shave Nook is an international community, for logistical (and financial) reasons the tour will probably need to be limited to U.S. members only...though it might be extended to our Canadian brothers.

If there is any question regarding the razor I am talking about, following is a picture.

51 369
 06-05-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
Michael -

This is a very, very cool offer. I know that a lot of people are curious about this razor, but cannot afford to take the chance on something so expensive.

Having used the CC for a long time, I can assert that it's a brilliant shaver....mostly because of the blades it accepts. I don't care for the razor design itself (more pretty than functional, IMO), but it doesn't bother many people. Smile

While this is your tour, and you can draw up the rules you want, I'd suggest limiting it to active members in good standing....just to protect your investment a bit.

For my own part, I think this is a very generous offer and I hope people will take part in what is bound to be a great tour.

37 1,731
 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Washington State
User Info
As the current possessor of poonjaji's Cobra Classic, I'm glad to see him invite people here at the Shave Nook to join in. I encourage anyone who might want to try out this if you have been thinking about it before having to actually buy it.

35 1,726
 06-05-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
Incredible offer as always, my friend. You are such a kind and generous person. i would have to agree with Yohann and good luck with the extended tour.

74 20,783
 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
I would love to try a Cobra simply out of curiousity. But the handle tells me that I won't like it (the handle), and I simply won't pay that price for a razor. So while my curiousity would like to get me to say "Yes, I'd like to try it.". The practical side of me says, "Why bother?". So it's not worth the effort or resources for me to try it, but I thank you. It's extremely nice of you to even think of doing this.

While the shave is probably as great as everyone says it is it can't be any closer than the shaves I get now and that I'm happy with. (any closer and I'd need a skin graft, any more comfortable and I'd fall asleep)

But I'm sure there are folks on the forum who would love to try one before buying one.

I suggest you contact the administrators to cross reference folks who are responsible and those who might be less responsible with other folks property. Those in the latter catagory might stay away from the pass around simply because of posts like this one that indicate knowledge of their existence. Not everyone has the same sense of responsibility and care. It's an expensive razor after all. Heck, who wants to put their name on a public list just to be publicly bypassed? It's sort of obvious when that happens.

32 6,301
 06-09-2012, 04:13 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow fantastic offer, alas I'm in Australia, but I'm sure there are some US and Canadian TSN members that would love this opportunity.

91 17,610
 06-10-2012, 10:16 AM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 04:13 AM)ben74 Wrote: Wow fantastic offer, alas I'm in Australia, but I'm sure there are some US and Canadian TSN members that would love this opportunity.

As you are currently the only member that has expressed some interest, I may be willing to ship it to you in Australia. Should I get it there, do you think you have enough shaving buddies - Shave Nook or otherwise - that we could set up an Australian tour? I have always avoided including international members since it is so cost prohibitive to send internationally - if the razor is going back-and-forth each time that is - not to mention having to deal with customs.

51 369
 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I would love the opportunity to try the Cobra. I have often debated purchasing one, but I've never used an SE so I've been resistant given the investment required.

I can certainly attempt to round up some Aussies to join the tour. I don't know of any on TSN, but I do know a few from another forum. Perhaps I can generate some new memberships at the same time.

In regards to postage I am more than happy to cover the costs. Australian customs isn't an issue until you look at values closer to $1000.

It a generous offer given the cost of the razor. I wish more members here had expressed an interest...

91 17,610
 06-11-2012, 02:00 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Very generous offer Michael. I would love the opportunity to try one of these. They get a lot of very good praise

9 541
 06-11-2012, 02:03 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
They are good razors and now that folks are getting more blade choices from Kai, it will get even better I'm sure.

116 3,804
 06-11-2012, 07:28 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
I have been afraid to buy one because of the cost, so I would very much like to try one. That would tell me if it is a good shaver. Will the blades always be available?
Thanks for the generous offer,

32 357
 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM
User Info
Great offer. Although I generally am not a fan of aggressive razors, I definitely would like to give this a try.

178 11,976
 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
Through the generosity of others I have come into possession of a couple Cobra Classics in addition to the one I already have on loan. Since I can only shave with one at a time, in the coming week or so I intend to kick off "double" TSN tour. At this point I am anticipating two boxes, one going down under for Ben and other Australian members to try, and the other to stay stateside.

General requirements for participation
Active Shave Nook members in "good standing" are welcome to send me a PM regarding participating in the tour. I would suggest active and good standing infers you have been around TSN for at least a couple months and are participating in the community. If you are active on other shaving forums and are new to TSN - such as myself - I will take that into consideration. And if you do not qualify today you may become eligible as the tour unfolds, so please feel free to PM and I can add you to the "reserve" list.

Following are the RULZ I have once again shamelessly borrowed from our Moderator Texbilly...and have added a couple edits of my own since his tour was for a Joris. I hope he will not mind as he did such a great job summarizing them. Biggrin
Gents, nothing but a bit of common courtesy here, meant to keep the tour fair, fun and safe. Blush

1. Please limit your time with the gear no more than 7 days. This should be enough time for some quality shaves and impressions. Sure, there will be exceptions and if you know ahead of time your schedule will be limited (vacation, job constraints, travel...), let me know so we can adjust the order and keep the momentum going.

2. Each package will contain a Cobra Classic, a 20-pack of Feather Professional and a 20 pack of Kai Mild blades. (I will try to throw in some extras in the box staying stateside, but the one going Down Under will be bare bones to keep shipping costs at a minimum.) Each member is invited to use one of each blade, so the packages I am sending should allow 20 (x 2) members to try the razor.

3. I am shipping the razors clean and sterilized. Please do the same before handing it off to the next member. Soapy hot water, Barbicide and Scrubby Bubbles are good. Boiling water baths are bad. Confused

4. Wrap carefully and ship the package via Priority Mail if at all possible. If this is a hardship, I understand, but switch to a clean, generic box and pack securely if you need to downgrade the shipping method. The razor and blades are valued at approximately $190, so please consider insuring the package.

5. Communicate. Please post in the official tour thread (once posted) or PM me as needed or if you have questions. It is never fun to track you down if you are in possession of some expensive toys.

6. Post reviews! More on this later, but be sure and share your impressions.

7. Have fun and...go Shave Nook!

Again, I will start an official tour thread, but thus far the tour boxes are as follows:

Box #1 (Australia)

Box #2

51 369
 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM
User Info
(06-11-2012, 07:48 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Although I generally am not a fan of aggressive razors, I definitely would like to give this a try.

For the record, I also cannot use aggressive razors without my face suffering. I do not consider the Cobra in that category of razors. It shaves a lot like an injector, which is no surprise given the design.

51 369