02-02-2015, 09:53 PM
User Info
My morning routine is not all about shaving - it's also about grooming the facial hair I don't shave off.

I've been sporting a goatee for the better part of two decades by now, and since shaving it off is not an option (frankly, it's part of who I am) I figured it was high time to start pampering it a bit. An online acquaintance recommended Big Red Beard from Canada, who makes and sells combs, balms, oils, wax and more for the bearded gentleman.

[Image: 2015-01-11%2B10.42.05.jpg]

As with anything I do in regards to my facial hair, I simply can't do it half way - so I kitted myself out with the full spread. So much for just needing a comb... 

3 4,495
 02-02-2015, 11:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I use two different brands and three products.

From a company named Beard Baron I use a Premium Beard Wash and Wildwood Oil

[Image: VinR3UY.jpg]
[Image: kxWNcZx.jpg]

From a company named beardbrand I use Tea Tree Oil

[Image: MlcAiwa.jpg]

I do not use any wax.  I also use one of the very small mustache combs and a medium sized comb, both made by Kent.

I wash the mustache and goatee three times a week and rinse with warm water everyday.  I apply oil everyday after my shave.

178 23,809
 02-03-2015, 08:21 AM
User Info
I love having a beard, and how it has gotten much thicker now. I usually use a beard balm by The Mod Cabin. I've been out of it for months now, but will be getting some soon. I would love to try out all of the big red products. I'll have to order some.

Right now, i have concocted my my oil and it's actually pretty good.

1 1,975
 02-03-2015, 09:21 PM
User Info
Just wait until you gentlemen go completely grey, then we'll see!  Biggrin

83 21,077
 02-03-2015, 10:01 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 09:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Just wait until you gentlemen go completely grey, then we'll see!  Biggrin
My wife wants me too have the "salt and pepper" look, at this rate, she might never let me let go of the beard!

1 1,975
 02-03-2015, 11:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mine is getting pretty close to gray. 

178 23,809
 02-04-2015, 12:53 AM
User Info
So is mine, but I'm still just 13 on the inside... well, a 13 year old that likes to shave and groom his beard, that is  Tongue

3 4,495
 02-16-2015, 08:50 AM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
(02-03-2015, 09:21 PM)celestino Wrote: Just wait until you gentlemen go completely grey, then we'll see!  Biggrin

Like this?

[Image: ?tn=-1362416239]

I've just started experimenting with using lanolin overnight to soften up my moustache a little - it's pretty wirey, and has a mind of it's own. Any other ideas?

0 272
 02-16-2015, 09:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Tom, GREAT looking moustache and goatee.

178 23,809
 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 08:21 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I love having a beard, and how it has gotten much thicker now. I usually use a beard balm by The Mod Cabin. I've been out of it for months now, but will be getting some soon.  I would love to try out all of the big red products.  I'll have to order some.

what's the recipe for your own oil, if you don't mind sharing?

(02-03-2015, 10:01 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
My wife wants me too have the "salt and pepper" look, at this rate, she might never let me let go of the beard!  

I skipped the gray phase, it seems, for now... my beard is like 99% dark brown with a few white hairs here and there on my neck.

when I was a baby, the hair on my head was pure white...weird!

40 5,830
 02-16-2015, 11:02 PM
User Info
(02-16-2015, 12:18 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 08:21 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I love having a beard, and how it has gotten much thicker now. I usually use a beard balm by The Mod Cabin. I've been out of it for months now, but will be getting some soon.  I would love to try out all of the big red products.  I'll have to order some.

what's the recipe for your own oil, if you don't mind sharing?

I skipped the gray phase, it seems, for now... my beard is like 99% dark brown with a few white hairs here and there on my neck.

when I was a baby, the hair on my head was pure white...weird!
Oh yeah, no problem. I do 3 parts sweet almond oil, 10 drops atlas Cedarwood essential oil, 20 drops jojoba oil, 3 drops Pinaud Clubman Vanilla, and 8 drops bergamot essential oil. It comes out very nice and not to greasy. Helps with growth, shine and prevention of bumps underneath.

1 1,975
 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM
User Info

Right there with you.  My wife has always hated it when I have a beard.  However in the past couple of years, I've grown substantial grey hairs on my chin, and lightly peppered along my jawline.  All of the sudden, a beard isn't so bad! lol.. 

1 52
 03-30-2015, 11:33 AM
User Info
(03-30-2015, 10:17 AM)BadgerBeggar Wrote:

Right there with you.  My wife has always hated it when I have a beard.  However in the past couple of years, I've grown substantial grey hairs on my chin, and lightly peppered along my jawline.  All of the sudden, a beard isn't so bad! lol.. 
Hahaa, women are funny like that! More distinguished, i guess, it means.

1 1,975
 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(02-02-2015, 11:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: I use two different brands and three products.

I do not use any wax.  I also use one of the very small mustache combs and a medium sized comb, both made by Kent.

I wash the mustache and goatee three times a week and rinse with warm water everyday.  I apply oil everyday after my shave.
Hi Johnny,
I have been sporting a goatee for over a decade. And never really did anything for it. Kept  it neat and trimmed. Recently been looking at this product. Question does it go on thick and sticky? Does it have a scent? Is Ranger a different brand of oil ? Thanks 

21 463
 05-13-2015, 02:30 PM
  • HarryO
  • FLA, USA.
User Info
(02-02-2015, 11:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: I use two different brands and three products.

I really like this Tea Tree oil. Not an overwhelming scent, just right, and my old goatee has a nice shine to it after brushing it in. Harry

21 463
 05-19-2015, 12:48 AM
User Info
I normally love the smell of tea tree oil so I may have to give that stuff a try. I've been looking for some beard products. I've grown a short beard for the last few months. I keep it about 3/4" long but my hair is rather wiry, so sometimes it is all over the place. Not sure if an oil treatment would help or if I need a wax though

4 63
 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM
User Info
(05-19-2015, 12:48 AM)jtyson Wrote: I normally love the smell of tea tree oil so I may have to give that stuff a try. I've been looking for some beard products. I've grown a short beard for the last few months. I keep it about 3/4" long but my hair is rather wiry, so sometimes it is all over the place. Not sure if an oil treatment would help or if I need a wax though

I was in the same boat. Mustache waxes are way too stiff and a stright beard oil way too thin. So I made my own hybrid beard oil/wax. Just the right amount of hold, shine and conditioning. I will post a pic of the "goat" tonight.

0 7
 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM
User Info
Grave Before Shave beard balm is working pretty well for me. Out of the tin, it is pretty waxy, and comparable to lip balm, maybe slightly waxier/heavier. Scrape it out with the back of your thumbnail, then work it between your fingertips and it liquifies. It provides a light hold, certainly more than an oil alone. I have a Van Dyke that is about 2" long. The ingredients list looks good. I am using the unscented Viking Blend, there are a few scented options available as well.
I was looking for a product that tames some of my crazy hairs, and it does it pretty well, with the additional benefit of some moisturizing and softening of my often crunchy feeling hairs.

0 24