02-03-2015, 08:56 AM
User Info
I was given a tub of soap by a friend and am wondering if i should or shouldnt use it. Is this a common thing, to trade partially used soaps? There's a ton left in there.

Thanks!

0 14
 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
Why would it be weird? Ofcourse use it....
if youre that paranoid you can always lather away the top part of the soap, once the top layer is gone, its essentially new

19 196
 02-03-2015, 09:19 AM
User Info
I don't expect that he spat in it. Go for it.  Biggrin

39 3,920
 02-03-2015, 09:23 AM
User Info
Half of my soaps I have bought or traded from other members. As long as its not full of hairs or god knows what then go for it. If it worries you then as stated lather off the surface. Its soap! How many times have you washed you hands or body at a friends house with a shared bar of soap? No difference.

147 3,539
 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have my qualms about it but as mention above scrape some off or lather up a couple times and it's as good as new. 

7 451
 02-03-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
Yes.  

Even if they say "test lathered", you have no idea how they handle or clean their hands.  I've seen people talk about handling their razors while dropping a deuce....do you really want to buy a tub of soap that has been in someone else's bathroom and handled?   You have no idea what the routines and how hygienic people are and likely don't know any of them personally. 

And before anyone says, germs are everywhere, door handles, food handlers, cutlery etc...I know, they are gross too.  But for the the $4-5 savings most give on used soaps...just buy new.

Avoid Used soaps at all costs...that's my motto.  There is a reason they are NOT allowed on eBay.

eBay Policy overview
Used cosmetics present some serious health and safety concerns because the products and applicators used to apply them often come into direct contact with the body. This is why we generally don't allow the sale of used cosmetics on eBay. The sale of new cosmetics is generally allowed on eBay, as long as sellers comply with FDA regulations.

8 2,718
 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
Cut off some of the top layer then use the rest. You'll be good.

1 1,975
 02-03-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 10:19 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Cut off some of the top layer then use the rest. You'll be good.

Water penetrates and gets into the soap, it wouldn't just be the top layer that may have germs.  Soap isn't self cleaning, shave soaps aren't anti-bacterial and stuff can live in it.

People lather or reapply over cuts and then go back to the tub all the time.  I'm not willing to take a chance or trust someone who says "I've never lathered over a weeper".

I still believe, Used soaps will be forbidden to be sold on shave forums in the next few years.  It's only going to one person to catch something and I don't want that person to be me.

8 2,718
 02-03-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 10:21 AM)Bruce Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 10:19 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Cut off some of the top layer then use the rest. You'll be good.

Water penetrates and gets into the soap, it wouldn't just be the top layer that may have germs.  Soap isn't self cleaning, shave soaps aren't anti-bacterial and stuff can live in it.

People lather or reapply over cuts, then go back to the tub.  I'm not willing to take a chance or trust someone who says "I've never lathered over a weeper".
And that's great for you, Bruce, but our mate is asking for opinions, from all, right? That's what i gave, as same as all the other guys above me. I appreciate your take and knowledge though.

- Bryan

1 1,975
 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 10:23 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 10:21 AM)Bruce Wrote:

People lather or reapply over cuts, then go back to the tub.  I'm not willing to take a chance or trust someone who says "I've never lathered over a weeper".
And that's great for you,  Bruce, but our mate is asking for opinions, from all, right?  That's what i gave, as same as all the other guys above me. I appreciate your take and knowledge though.

- Bryan
No worries Bryan and I'm just discussing it.  I enjoy this topic and have been known to be anti-used soaps, so I'll try not to get too worked up.  But if someone states something that I don't agree with, I think I am in my right to question it.

Let me ask you this:  Would you buy a partially eaten steak, fresh from a strangers plate in a restaurant if they cut off the partially eaten piece and it was 20% less then buying a new one?

8 2,718
 02-03-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 10:25 AM)Bruce Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 10:23 AM)C-NoEviL Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 10:21 AM)Bruce Wrote: Water penetrates and gets into the soap, it wouldn't just be the top layer that may have germs.  Soap isn't self cleaning, shave soaps aren't anti-bacterial and stuff can live in it.

And that's great for you,  Bruce, but our mate is asking for opinions, from all, right?  That's what i gave, as same as all the other guys above me. I appreciate your take and knowledge though.

- Bryan
No worries Bryan and I'm just discussing it.  I enjoy this topic and have been known to be anti-used soaps, so I'll try not to get too worked up.  But if someone states something that I don't agree with, I think I am in my right to question it.

Let me ask you this:  Would you buy a partially eaten steak, fresh from a strangers plate in a restaurant if they cut off the partially eaten piece and it was 20% less then buying a new one?

This will be my last post for you Bruce.

That question you're asking needs to be in the complaint department here on the Nook if you are that passionate about this subject. Understand that you have singled me out, and it is not appreciated. This could be a PM if needed, however, i will do you one better and ask that you highlight and comment on everyone else that had stated their opinion here on this particular thread. You are comparing food to soap for the sake of your argument and I'm sorry, i will not agree with it.

Once again, our mate asked if it's gross. Some say it is, others state that they don't believe so. Let's re-focus on him and let him feel out what is best for him.

Have a cool day, man.

1 1,975
 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Gentlemen .. a gentle reminder .. please be civil.

Members are entitled to express their own opinions, and should be respectful of others' opinions as well.

Thank you.

102 18,652
 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 08:56 AM)shave Wrote: I was given a tub of soap by a friend and am wondering if i should or shouldnt use it. Is this a common thing, to trade partially used soaps? There's a ton left in there.

Thanks!

(02-03-2015, 09:18 AM)tti Wrote: Why would it be weird? Ofcourse use it....
if youre that paranoid you can always lather away the top part of the soap, once the top layer is gone, its essentially new

(02-03-2015, 09:19 AM)primotenore Wrote: I don't expect that he spat in it. Go for it.  Biggrin

(02-03-2015, 09:23 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Half of my soaps I have bought or traded from other members. As long as its not full of hairs or god knows what then go for it. If it worries you then as stated lather off the surface. Its soap! How many times have you washed you hands or body at a friends house with a shared bar of soap? No difference.

(02-03-2015, 09:32 AM)jtmke Wrote: I have my qualms about it but as mention above scrape some off or lather up a couple times and it's as good as new. 

Sorry to quote everyone, but it was pointed out that I should.  

No, I would not recommend using a Used Soap, even from a friend.  You just never know.

Buy new, why risk it.  Even if it's 1/100000 chance of something, why bother?  

8 2,718
 02-03-2015, 10:45 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(02-03-2015, 09:23 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Half of my soaps I have bought or traded from other members. As long as its not full of hairs or god knows what then go for it. If it worries you then as stated lather off the surface. Its soap! How many times have you washed you hands or body at a friends house with a shared bar of soap? No difference.

Yup.  This pretty well states my view.

60 1,601
 02-03-2015, 10:57 AM
User Info
I don't buy used soaps unless the soap I am looking for is unobtainable new. If one of my friends gives me a used soap I am happy to have it.

I have received used soap in the past with either 

A.) The lather not rinsed off from previous use

and/or 

B.) Badger/boar hair in the soap

and I was not happy in either situation. 

I am particular and I like to wash off my soaps completely before I store them, which includes removing lather and any badger hair.

I won't get into the germ debate. I had to give that up once I started taking public transportation. There's not a whole lot I can do. I still wash my hands at appropriate times and shower daily but once I'm packed into a train car full of people, the germaphobe thing does not come in handy.

63 1,721
 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM
User Info
I have never had any issues with using used soap and I have used quite a few of them. Personally, I have no problem recommending trying the soap your friend gave you, but that would be your discretion.  Smile

83 21,081
 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I buy/use/sell 2nd-hand soaps all the time.  I've never had a problem.

47 1,924
 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been both the seller and buyer and never had any issues.  I'm just glad we are nothing like eBay.

178 23,809
 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
On any given day, if you look on BST you'll typically find several soaps (new and used) for sale.  I think many of our members, including myself, don't have an issue with used soaps.  IMO, its a great/cheap way to try a soap you weren't sure about or even to be introduced to a new soap you otherwise would have not purchased brand new and paid full price for.  Again...my opinion. 

Of course in a discussion like this, there will be wet shavers that do have an issue with used soap (and there's nothing wrong with that...I probably did when I first started), and those fellow shavers simply don't buy used  Biggrin . 

34 1,628
 02-03-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
I have no issues selling used soap! There, I've come face to face with half my Usedsoapaphobia.

I would also agree, the majority of soaps for sale on forums are used. As to who's buying them, new or more seasoned wet shavers, I don't know for certain. I'd guess it's newer shavers looking to experiment, as long time guys already have a soap stash and know what they like, so buy new.

8 2,718