06-05-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
Santa Maria Novella, Martin De Candre, Aqua Di Parma

All 3 seem rather expensive and in the luxury category. Can anyone fortunate enough to have tried all 3 explain the difference in scent for me?

Eventually I will get to all of them, but would like to know where to start. Is there a clear winner? Is there anything especially unique about one over the other?

Do tell, do tell...

0 140
 06-05-2012, 03:07 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried them.

Martin de Candre is,by far,my fav one of the 3.Well,Martin de Candre is my fav soap of all that I have tried,enough said.
It scent is a mixture of lavender oil with others herbal ones.It last forever,since its so easy to lather.
As I said,my Holy Grail of shaving soaps.

Acqua Di Parma has a great scent,maybe one of the best out there,which can compete with the most expensive English shaving creams/soaps from Penhaligons or Floris,and also with Creed.Skin Care wise is ok,nothing spectucular if you have dry skin like me.If you have normal or greasy skin,then Im sure is a good performer.

The tube version (75 ml) contains lanolin,while the tub version (125 ml) doesnt,but smells better.

I have also tried RazoRck XXX,which smells and performs like Acqua Di Parma tub version and cost less than 10 dollars for 150ml.

Santa Maria La Novella is like an improved version of Proraso.It contains lanolin,as old Omega/Proraso used too.Skin care wise is nice,but its scent its not as good as Acqua Di Parma.Smells like old Proraso to my likes,a little bit more subtle.Its also refreshing to the skin due to the mentol/camphor and eucaliptus oil.

If I have to choose according to scent,would be :

1.Acqua Di Parma/Martin de Candre
2.Santa Maria La Novella

Accroding to skin care properties :

1.Martin de Candre
2.Santa Maria La Novella
3.Acqua Di Parma.

86 7,132
 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
Pick up the RazoRock XXX while you can. It's the no-frills, no fancy packaging, no expensive name AdP. The rest I haven't tried, primarily due to cost.

31 7,944
 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
I have the Razorock XXX, and enjoy it quite a bit. If it is similar to Aqua Di Parma, maybe I will start with the others.

Great feedback and it is much appreciated.

0 140
 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
(06-05-2012, 03:29 PM)somebody Wrote: I have the Razorock XXX, and enjoy it quite a bit. If it is similar to Aqua Di Parma, maybe I will start with the others.

Great feedback and it is much appreciated.

I have a sample of AdP and a tub of Razorock XXX . There really isn't much of a difference. I also have MdC. It my favorite. Simple to lather and a great scent.

19 419
 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
User Info
MdC is a very good soap, the scent isn't for me but it's expensive because of the lengthy curing time and the high cost of shipping; definitely should be tried.

SMN is basically the old proraso formula with a toned down scent and literally a drop of lanolin... if you see the percentage of lanolin you would laugh. If I told you how much that formula costs to make, you would fall over.

AdP, scent is classic colonia... price, no commentBiggrin

3 315
 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 04:13 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: MdC is a very good soap, the scent isn't for me but it's expensive because of the lengthy curing time and the high cost of shipping; definitely should be tried.

SMN is basically the old proraso formula with a toned down scent and literally a drop of lanolin... if you see the percentage of lanolin you would laugh. If I told you how much that formula costs to make, you would fall over.

Is the scent comparison between XXX and AdP correct ?

0 140
 06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(06-05-2012, 04:13 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote: MdC is a very good soap, the scent isn't for me but it's expensive because of the lengthy curing time and the high cost of shipping; definitely should be tried.

Amen to everything.
Proraso and Omega used to have lanolin and their ingredients list was IDENTICAL to the actual Santa Maria La Novella.However,they costed like 3 euros at the time...

86 7,132
 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM
User Info
I have tried all 3. SMN is the only one I still own.
I like the way SMN makes my face feel after shaving but there is not much scent but I prefer performance over scent.

0 17