02-03-2015, 05:52 PM
User Info
Give me the low dowm on them,   shaved the past two days with the goose and not getting the close shave I'm used to wit the cobra however the cobra gives me irritation like crazy so I'm thinking of trying injectors,    any suggestions on ones tomtry.   Also, what about blades, are the personna 74 the best ones available?

19 1,125
 02-03-2015, 05:59 PM
User Info
A Schick E or G type would be a good place to start with vintage injectors. I use Chinese Schick blades. They work fine.

That said, given what you've written about your experiences with the Cobra and Mongoose, I doubt a new razor will necessarily improve your shave.

I'd choose one of the razors you already have and:

1) Focus on getting a smooth, comfortable shave (don't sweat closeness yet)
2) Keep focusing on comfort.

The shaves will get close as your technique improves; don't try to force the shave to be close. That could lead to the irritation you're experiencing with the Cobra. Don't complicate things by switching hardware all the time.

All this assumes your prep and lather-building is up to par, of course.

Good luck.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

39 1,750
 02-03-2015, 06:06 PM
User Info
A Schick L- or M-type can get you started, then you can move up or down the line from there if necessary. (The higher up the alphabet, the milder. The M-type is the odd duck since it's adjustable, and you'll pay for that.) If you can find Schick Plus Platinums (blue and yellow box) or Personna 74s on eBay, they're the best NOS blades, but pricey. For modern blades, the Schicks offered at drugstore.com.

29 1,775
 02-03-2015, 06:14 PM
User Info
I'm going to keep trying with the goose.    Gonna get a super blade and give it a go.   The goose is beautiful but its like it barely is cutting

19 1,125
 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 05:52 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Give me the low dowm on them,   shaved the past two days with the goose and not getting the close shave I'm used to wit the cobra however the cobra gives me irritation like crazy so I'm thinking of trying injectors,    any suggestions on ones tomtry.   Also, what about blades, are the personna 74 the best ones available?

you can also try get supply.com. they sell their own injector blade refills with a pre installed key which might work for other injector razors.  I cannot verify since I've only used the supply company single edge razor and their refills. i do know feather also makes injector blade refills without the key.  it seems there area few different options for blades, but none of them are offered with a pre-installed key except for supply company.

0 1
 01-27-2019, 07:14 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
If you like the Mongoose format then try the MiniGoose.  It was designed for injector blades.

0 348
 01-27-2019, 07:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The mid 50s Schick injectors are the only single edge razors that have given me good shaves. Imo they are close and efficient with little to no blade feel.

20 5,827
 01-27-2019, 08:13 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Holy necro=posting, but in that spirit, I'd say Type E is the bomb, they were increasingly toned down over time until almost useless by Type l.  The M Adjustable could be made to work wide open

83 891
 01-28-2019, 11:13 PM
User Info
I have a Type G if you're interested. It's a great shaver.

You could also check out the Supply razor. A lot of people seem to like it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

1 83
 01-31-2019, 06:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm using a Schick I2 that my dad gave me for my birthday when I was 15.  I am now 72 so I will let you do the math.   It is the razor I use 98% of the time.

[Image: 4yJihaI.jpg]

189 26,354
 01-31-2019, 07:21 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his tools.

Your razor looks like you bought it last month, Johnny.

20 5,827
 02-01-2019, 08:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(01-31-2019, 07:21 PM)chazt Wrote: You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his tools.

Thanks.  Wash it, dry it, and put it up.

189 26,354
 05-28-2019, 05:35 PM
User Info
(01-31-2019, 07:21 PM)chazt Wrote: You can tell a lot about a man by the condition of his tools.

I2 is my favorite injector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 488
 05-29-2019, 08:07 AM
User Info
(01-31-2019, 06:35 PM)Johnny Wrote: I'm using a Schick I2 that my dad gave me for my birthday when I was 15.  I am now 72 so I will let you do the math.   It is the razor I use 98% of the time.

[Image: 4yJihaI.jpg]
Ok doing the math and curious if there is any more back story since the I2 was introduced in 1955 and you got it in '62? Was it still be sold in shops at that date?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 474
 05-31-2019, 04:45 AM
User Info
(02-03-2015, 05:52 PM)tsimmns Wrote: Give me the low dowm on them,   shaved the past two days with the goose and not getting the close shave I'm used to wit the cobra however the cobra gives me irritation like crazy so I'm thinking of trying injectors,    any suggestions on ones tomtry.   Also, what about blades, are the personna 74 the best ones available?

I think Injector would be a good choice...

0 18
 05-31-2019, 02:39 PM
  • norton
  • The Alien Nation
User Info

Blades:
Schick Proline B-20.  You will need an empty injector container to cross load them into.  But they are the correct size, and have gotten me to use my injectors again.  

The other option is to cut down Feather/Kai blades meant for AC type razors (and the cobra and other SEs) to the size of the schick blades, and then cross load those.  Works, but a bit of a pain.  

The Personna 74s are good blades, just can be a little hard to find since they're vintage. 

I never much cared for the Chinese schick blades. They'll do in a pinch.  

Razors:
E's are good -  E2 and E3 are the most common - with the bakelite handle (no seam).  Striated lines on the guard bar.
G's are also good and still very available - including with the red plastic box on some models.  Plastic handle (seam).  Occasionally different colors besides butterscotch.  Straight lines on the guard bar.

The I2s are popular as well - these and the E's and G's are probably my personal favorites, looking for an I2 myself lately.

18 229