02-04-2015, 08:13 AM
  • Doc226
  • edge snob (and proud of it)
  • Smallest State
User Info
I recently finished rescaling my ERN and since I killed the edge on it prior to working on it decided to use a member's nagura to hone it-why? Why not?

Bevel set on DMT generated slurry, needed to refresh twice to get the bevel.

Diluted and finished on the same DMT slurry.

The stone is 2.5 x 2.75 inches

The shave was awesome, very smooth and keen-not bad for a 10 minute hone on a nagura sized stone.

10 130
 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
User Info
By Nagura, I assume you are referring to a slurry stone. Possibly a small piece of a finisher?

In that case, I'm not surprised it worked. The only difference between it a finishing hone should be size.

Nagura is an umbrella term that refers to slurry stones used on Japanese hones, and they can vary from coarse to pretty fine. A Botan, for example, would be pretty coarse, while a Koma would be fine. Generally, for the final polishing, a tomonagura is used, and it's usually a small piece of the larger hone (or some other really fine hone). If you have the skill, you can certainly hone on one.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

37 1,743
 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM
  • Doc226
  • Smallest State
User Info
Yes this is essentially a tomo nagura

10 130
 02-05-2015, 07:33 AM
User Info
That must have been interesting. Honing on a small stone has some advantages, but a whole load of challenges too.

Good work!

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

37 1,743
 02-06-2015, 07:01 PM
User Info
That must have been challenging! 

82 21,056
 02-06-2015, 08:14 PM
User Info
I don't know, one look at the video and you make it look easy, although I know it takes skill. It's when I read of some respected members using a nine stone progression do I think, I do not have the money, patience, and time to learn how to hone with a JNAT. I've used your edges for over a year now and I know your minimal approach is stellar.

~Royce

4 373
 02-07-2015, 03:59 AM
  • Doc226
  • Smallest State
User Info
(02-06-2015, 07:01 PM)celestino Wrote: That must have been challenging! 
Just to keep the razor on the stone
(02-06-2015, 08:14 PM)DudeAbides Wrote: I don't know, one look at the video and you make it look easy, although I know it takes skill. It's when I read of some respected members using a nine stone progression do I think, I do not have the money, patience, and time to learn how to hone with a JNAT.  I've used your edges for over a year now and I know your minimal approach is stellar.

~Royce

Thank you, it really does not need to be complicated. 

This was on a previous shave ready razor, on one with issues I would use a chosera 1K and shapton glass stones to 8k then do the same as you saw on the video.

I have gone from the chosera 1k to the JNAT with tomo slurry but it needs refreshing once or twice-frankly I prefer to leave the finishing stone just to finish and not waste the stone for middle work.

10 130