02-04-2015, 03:04 PM
  • joedy
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
As luck would have it, my current batch of Astra Platinum blades are LOADED with glue dots. Some of these dots have spilled onto the blade edges. Removing the glue isn't difficult, but it's aggravating opening up a fresh blade to see the glue.

It's got me wondering, though.

What POSSIBLE rationale are these placed for? The Astras are double wrapped, so I can't imagine a single purpose that they serve.

Does anyone know why these are applied?

Do the glue dots just make the packaging easier?

-joedy

12 87
 02-04-2015, 04:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have no clue why the do it but it is a pain in the butt.  That is why I use either the Personna Med Prep or KAI blades.  No glue/wax dots.  And if Personna and KAI can do it, why can't the rest of them.

175 23,752
 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM
User Info
Is it to make the wrapper stick to the blade and remain closed? Sometimes there is just a little. Most of the time it's a lot. Just be careful. I had a blade stick to the TTO doors and it flew out like a spring. 

0 1,007
 02-04-2015, 09:56 PM
User Info
the newer batches of all the russian made gillette blades (astra included) only have 2 small dots on them now. this includes silver blues, yellow, green, astra, polsilver etc etc...the older ones had 4 dots and they were huge. when i asked them via email the response i got was it was part of the manufacturing process they did not explain further. but any of the newer batches should only have 2 much smaller dots on them. if you just bought them and got the ones with 4 then they were an older batch, i even went as far to sell off all my old gillette stock and re buy them all with the 2 glue dots now even including my polsilver's.

tomm i can post some pics if you would like showing the difference

16 660
 02-05-2015, 01:12 AM
User Info
come a long, shake loose, show us all the difference in glue dots please:)

7 1,624
 02-05-2015, 05:52 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
My Poslilvers have the dots.  I place the blade dots down, so if the blade does stick it will stick to the base rather than the doors.

~Frank

18 271
 02-05-2015, 06:31 AM
User Info
i always place the glue dots up, towards the top cap, with the hope that they don't come into contact with my precious skin Biggrin that said, most of the glue disappear when razor/blade is flushed with hot water. all my iridium super blades have 4 dots. i don't like it, but i don't care much. would have been interesting to have it analyzed in a lab though...

7 1,624
 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-04-2015, 06:36 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Is it to make the wrapper stick to the blade and remain closed? Sometimes there is just a little. Most of the time it's a lot. Just be careful. I had a blade stick to the TTO doors and it flew out like a spring. 

The Med Prep and KAI blades stay closed without the glue/wax. I guess the Americans and Japanese are just better at folding paper. Wink

175 23,752
 02-05-2015, 03:05 PM
User Info
The Feathers are the worst offenders. I have been splashing alcohol on them before loading my razor. 

119 13,011
 02-05-2015, 07:32 PM
User Info
taking some pictures now. sorry i didnt get time to do it sooner today, VERY long day at work

16 660
 02-06-2015, 12:46 AM
User Info
I always place wax dots up towards the cap as I worry downwards might interfere with how it would sit in my razor.

0 25
 02-06-2015, 07:58 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I'm with Johnny--Med Preps are my favorites, in part because of the lack of glue.

60 843
 02-06-2015, 09:09 AM
User Info
im going to bring home my good camera today because my cell phone pics suck. ill take better pics when i get home from work today. i really need a new cell phone...

16 660
 02-06-2015, 09:55 AM
User Info
As an Astra SP guy I will say that I tolerate the wax dots. If forced to speculate on the reason for the dots, I'd guess that they are necessary for the packaging aspect of manufacture, and that the machine applying the wax will, for one reason or another, vary the amount  - sometimes too much or too little. If I look closely at a partially un-wrapped Astra I see that it is carefully centered on the wrapper, and that the glue dots keep the blade edge from even touching the crease or fold that is near it. The blade is fixed in position within the wrapper.

Whether this is beneficial to the end user is certainly debatable, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that it is corporate lawyers who mandate this procedure for the same reason that some brands actually print "DO NOT WIPE BLADE" on each blade - to protect the company from lawsuits for negligence. After all, it seems highly unlikely that wiping a razor blade could possibly remove any coating or edge treatment for improving it's performance.

Having said all this, I find that the glue dots are a minor nuisance. Over time the wax does tend to accumulate on my razor's head, but hot water and a quick wipe every now and then manage this annoyance adequately for me.
Euro

5 395