06-05-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
I don't get it,except for seeing my Dad shave when I was a kid I haven't seen how anyone actually prepares and shaves except for the YouTube Video some of the shaving guys like Mantic59 and GeoFatboy etc... have made.

Not at all trying to be critical,I'm glad those videos are out there,I've picked up tips and tricks along the way.Maybe I'm doing it wrong...but I don't get it,those guys use about 3 times as much lather as me.Is that the norm ? Is that what y'all do? Is there something about using such a heavy coat of lather that enhances your shave soap's protective qualities?

Agressive razor or mild,by the 3rd pass and for any touch up,I'm barely using any lather at all so I can see clearly enough to be able to edge accurately around my goatee or catch anything I missed.Not getting any irritation,I can barely feel anything when applying aftershave.

7 414
 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
It does not matter so much how thick or thin a lather you use when shaving. What is important is that it works well for you. Since that seems to be the case, there is no reason to change.

Many videos and brush photos show huge gobs of meringue lather. Some guys like whipping up that kind of lather because it is what works well for them. I never used that much lather, yet get good results. To each his own.

0 303
 06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
Really for me it is fun..the best part of shaving after the results

2 697
 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
Yes, whatever works.

I favor small brushes so I don't get gobs of lather, but I don't need much either. The first pass requires the heaviest layer, but the beard holds it there and keeps the layer of lather thick. I could probably work and make the layer thinner and it would work the same, but why bother? For the 2nd pass there is little there to hold a thick layer even if I wanted it to be thick. Same goes for the touchups.

While the layer of lather may not be thick, what is there is extremely protective. It's all that I need.

There was a time when I wanted lots of lather and then realized it was lather quality and not quantity that I really wanted.

It's all what one wants to build for lather I suppose. Different strokes for different folks.

32 6,309
 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Gimme soap & all of its properties to protect, hydrate, lubricate, & condition. The more air & water you add leads to proportionately less of the good stuff that fuels our SSAD!

31 7,914
 06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Because I like it and Im not here to save money,either soap or cream.
Could I use less lather?For sure I could,but I like to use as much as I can.

86 7,123
 06-05-2012, 07:33 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I like lots of lather too. I want all the cushion I can get between the blade and my skin while still being able to get a very close shave. It just feels good to me. Biggrin

0 396
 06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
User Info
For me, there's a certain threshold required to make optimal lather. If you are trying to make the least amount of lather possible, then chances are, it's not very good, especially for that last pass. My general rule of thumb is that if you aren't washing away lather that you'd want to shave with, then you probably haven't made enough lather. The only waste is bad lather made from good soap.

30 275
 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Glad I posted this,I'm starting to wonder if the fact that I also head shave makes me look at some things differently.

I've (for me at least) found head shaving to be more challenging than face shaving.Larger surface area,difficult visualizing some regions,skin more sensitive/much easier to irritate.

One thing I've noted consistantly is that any razor,technique,blade,shaving soap etc,etc that wooks "good" on my head will work "great" on my face.

I can't see how having a huge layer of lather up there would help me achieve a better head shave,but I'd look funny as hell Cool

(06-05-2012, 07:49 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: For me, there's a certain threshold required to make optimal lather. If you are trying to make the least amount of lather possible, then chances are, it's not very good, especially for that last pass. My general rule of thumb is that if you aren't washing away lather that you'd want to shave with, then you probably haven't made enough lather. The only waste is bad lather made from good soap.

I don't face lather,maybe that's part of it.

I get an abundance of lather in my shaving mug,a bit more than I end up needing.I'll put a decent amount on my face,"painting" on the final bit but overall not real thick.

(06-05-2012, 07:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes, whatever works.

I favor small brushes so I don't get gobs of lather, but I don't need much either. The first pass requires the heaviest layer, but the beard holds it there and keeps the layer of lather thick. I could probably work and make the layer thinner and it would work the same, but why bother? For the 2nd pass there is little there to hold a thick layer even if I wanted it to be thick. Same goes for the touchups.

While the layer of lather may not be thick, what is there is extremely protective. It's all that I need.

There was a time when I wanted lots of lather and then realized it was lather quality and not quantity that I really wanted.

It's all what one wants to build for lather I suppose. Different strokes for different folks.

Small Brushes....Never tried one,might be worth giving it a spin to see how it goes

7 414
 06-06-2012, 03:24 AM
User Info
To each his own. I generally don't make a lot more lather than I need for my shave. I could probably get two more passes from the lather I whip up, but that's a lot less than a lot of folk.

It comes down to personal preference. Some people like to get lots and lots of lather, some like just enough and some (like me) make more than they need, but not much more.

It's a personal pursuit, so each guy is going to do what works for him.

37 1,731
 06-06-2012, 04:36 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
For me, there's no need for mounds of whipped cream (although that's fun when testing a new soap or brush!) and I usually have just enough lather for 2 or 3 passes:
Pass 1: Thick but "painted" down to a consistent layer
Pass 2: Thinned a bit
Pass 3: Thinned more

35 2,703
 06-06-2012, 05:03 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I think many times when you see mounds and mounds of lather spilling out of a giant bowl in a picture or in some videos they are doing it that way for demonstration purproses. Some people will make quite a bit of lather and in the grand scheme of things it's only a few pennies, if that, if you make much more than you need.

I'm naturally a bit of a frugal person, so I don't make a ton of lather. Also, it's a bit less messy and I need less cleanup if I don't make as much. Granted, at the end of a shave I'll be washing some down the drain but it's not a ton. That's what works for me.

0 353
 06-06-2012, 05:16 AM
User Info
I've found that facelathering allow's me to control the amount of lather that I build. I always have enough lather for two passes plus touchup's.

Clayton

6 617
 06-06-2012, 09:24 AM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 04:36 AM)TexBilly Wrote: For me, there's no need for mounds of whipped cream (although that's fun when testing a new soap or brush!) and I usually have just enough lather for 2 or 3 passes:
Pass 1: Thick but "painted" down to a consistent layer
Pass 2: Thinned a bit
Pass 3: Thinned more

TexBilly....That is very close to my routline
I appreciate everyone's response,at the end of the day most of what we're discussing comes down to personal preference,but I always like hearing the technical underpinnings of anyone's particular way of shaving.

7 414
 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 07:55 PM)razorx Wrote: Small Brushes....Never tried one,might be worth giving it [/b]a spin to see how it goes

When I began I used (Don't think ill of me, but I had to start somewhere.) a VDH boar, which is huge compared to what I now use. When I head shaved I used my Rooney 3/1 which is the largest brush I own other than the VDH (in storage) and "head lathered" and I wished I had a larger brush for that. If I were to head shave again, I'd probably get the biggest boar brush I could find to make it easy.

Let us know how you make out.

32 6,309
 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 07:09 PM)Tbone Wrote: It does not matter so much how thick or thin a lather you use when shaving. What is important is that it works well for you. Since that seems to be the case, there is no reason to change.

Many videos and brush photos show huge gobs of meringue lather. Some guys like whipping up that kind of lather because it is what works well for them. I never used that much lather, yet get good results. To each his own.

+1 However, i agree that most use too much lather!

75 20,883
 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
User Info
If I'm showing a brush, bowl, cream or soap, I'll whip up a large amount so it's easy to see in a photo. I've noticed a fair amount of air bubbles in peoples lather, I've always thought that air bubbles were a sign of too much water or too much air being pumped into the lather. I personally don't like or use a fluffy lather.

9 451
 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 04:13 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: If I'm showing a brush, bowl, cream or soap, I'll whip up a large amount so it's easy to see in a photo. I've noticed a fair amount of air bubbles in peoples lather, I've always thought that air bubbles were a sign of too much water or too much air being pumped into the lather. I personally don't like or use a fluffy lather.

Amen my lather brother!

31 7,914
 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
I don't use a lot of lather and less each pass. I even shave over an area during a pass without adding more lather. Sometimes when shaving under the nose, I bring the thin layers of leftover lather to that area and shave again.

21 1,477
 06-06-2012, 11:12 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
I don't use all that much either. Just goes to show, like newspapers, you can't treat everything you see / read as gospel.

1 290