02-05-2015, 10:19 AM
User Info
I think most of us have purchased razors we aren't entirely happy with. The traffic on the BST backs that up.

How many chances do you give a new razor (shaves, different blades, etc.) before deciding it isn't for you? Does the opinion of others influence this?

12 1,247
 02-05-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
the opinions of others never influence if the razor turns out to be a favorite or not, but i have certainly listened to others for a purchase in the first place, if "the other" is someone i share taste with in general.

some razors have been d.o.a., while those i've been uncertain of are placed to rest and brought back for a revisit at a later time when i feel in mood for a challenge, coupled with a more thorough analyzis than test one.

my absolute favorite did not completely convince me after the first ride, but after quite some thinking i adjusted the angle more than a little, and succeded to find the magic spot - and eventually the razor-mate* of my life Smile

* lutz slant; smooth as silk - aggressive as a block plane, but only after the head got a new body from ufo.

7 1,624
 02-05-2015, 10:43 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
It varies.  Some get as few as six tries (ATT, Cobra, most TTOs).  Others get several opportunities through the rotation, then into the drawer (Fatip) to be tried again...someday.

And others (IKON SB) get used once every few months to see if anything has changed.

57 1,562
 02-05-2015, 10:52 AM
User Info
I'm a user and collector, so unless i have two of the same, whether vintage or new, i won't part with any razor, besides it being a gift. That being said, i already have two I'll be giving to my son one day.

1 1,975
 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
I only buy with the intent to use, so if I'm not going to use it occasionally, I won't keep it. 

Some razors I can tell right away wont' work for me, like the Tech.  The handle is just not comfortable to use for me.  Some are so poorly made they get tossed, like the Turkish razor from bestshave.net.

If they handle well enough to use, I'll try them with my 3 or 4 favorite blades.  If they don't perform well with any of them they're gone.  This would include just about every superspeed I've ever tried.

Basically it comes down to whether I would look forward to using the razor or not.  Since I have razor/blade combos I love, I'd have to find a great combo for a new razor to keep it.  I only have emotional attachments to 3 razors...a 38M my wife game me to start me down this path, a Schick Injector which my Dad gave me about a year before he passed away, and an USGI Autostrop that was issued to my dad's great friend when he was in the service in WW1.  

0 836
 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM
User Info
If I don't have a good experience after three shaves I'll put it aside for a couple of months an then give it another shot.  As for getting rid of a razor, like Bryan I'm a collector & never have unless I had a duplicate.

6 589
 02-05-2015, 12:16 PM
User Info
I've yet to buy one that hasn't grown on me... a couple took a couple of turns in the rotation before it clicked, but they have all clicked.

Then again most of my razors have been bought after seeing what other shavers I trust say, so I've managed to steer clear of the ones that would be unlikely to suit me.

3 4,373
 02-06-2015, 05:16 AM
User Info
there is mo strict rule here. With some razors i knew immediately that they won't work and there was no point of trying (streamline, sabi) and some took longer to figure out that they were not my cup of tea no matter what and there was no point of trying to make them work and waste a good shave on them in the process (all of the gillette's after the 40's superspeeds). 

6 808
 02-06-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
In general, maximum of two tries.  Also, I now know that I find very aggressive razors unpleasant and pointless.  So most of the time, if something fails due to harshness or aggressiveness, it's dead in one unless I have very good reasons to suspect otherwise or the razor is so cool looking that I will persist just as an excuse to use it.

7 84
 02-06-2015, 04:46 PM
User Info
I have never been influenced by others to keep things in my life and it holds true, especially, with razors, brushes, soaps and blades, to this day! 
I have tried a plethora of DE and SE razors and have only kept a few of them, and only really use THE one that I knew was going to be THE one the first time I tried it!  Biggrin
I usually know, right away, if I will keep a razor, so after one pass is all that I need to determine if it will stay!  

82 21,056
 02-07-2015, 04:37 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I have a feeling that I haven't given some razors I've let go enough of a chance. I think if I were to commit to using a particular razor daily, for several weeks, I'd find a routine with it that works. I'm sure my decision to let some of my razors go has been mostly arbitrary.

43 1,698
 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM
User Info
I have tried quite a few different configurations (vintage, new, stainless, etc) along with different combinations/permutations of blade, cream/soap etc.
Ultimately most have been sold in favour of the one that provides the most efficient shave consistently.
That being said, it was not "discovered" after the first shave- probably about 2-3 shaves in.

Also, there were a number of razors that I had wished would perform better - so I kept them longer and tried various permutations= unfortunately to no avail.
Sometimes several months of sporadic trials before finally giving up. 

2 150
 02-08-2015, 01:45 AM
User Info
I put my 2013 R41 away for a month a couple times, next time it worked. IMHO if others find the piece works well, I'm willing to give it the good ole college try. Many of my current favorites would be in someone else's hands if I only tried a dozen times or less. R41 - ATT R1 H1 - Merkur 39c...

Just my approach - I like to finish things... Cheers  

18 194
 02-08-2015, 02:27 AM
User Info
With some razors i knew immediately, and some took longer to figure out...............

I try to give them all a four week rotation,using different my favourite DE blade and shaving technique i.e angle, pressure etc.

Should they not work out either I leave for a couple of months & try again or put in my Un-Used collection.

Charles  U.K

0 2,428
 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
User Info
I am trading out my first razor... i gave it 10 tries or so... probably should not have given that many.

T

3 117
 02-12-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
(02-05-2015, 11:48 AM)captain caveman Wrote: If I don't have a good experience after three shaves I'll put it aside for a couple of months an then give it another shot.  As for getting rid of a razor, like Bryan I'm a collector & never have unless I had a duplicate.

This

1 296
 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM
User Info
If after ~10 shaves I don't like the razor it will be sold/traded in. Have 3 razors I really like, 3 in the "for sale/trade" pile and 2-3 I'm planing to buy/trade with those funds.

7 882
 02-13-2015, 01:38 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I really like to give them a 60 shave tryout.  I can experience it under different conditions and blades.  At that point it either goes to the BST pike, rotation, or saved for another tryout.  

2 479
 02-13-2015, 08:03 AM
User Info
I don't have a hard, fast rule I stick too on razors.  Some like the ATT razors seem to get more love and time because of what I paid for them.  

Given that I am relatively new to wet shaving (started last September), I am trying now to give razors more chances for longer periods of time.  I kind of wonder if all those NEWs I went through in my second month of shaving where better than they seemed at the time.

I got a Sheraton at Christmas, tried it once, and it was a subpar shave.  I haven't picked it up since, but I plan to try it out again.

1 135
 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM
User Info
first shave with a mongoose I almost gave up shaving and checking into intensive care.  glad I waited.  it now is near the top.  only have pif'd a few out. 

73 1,262