02-05-2015, 12:40 PM
User Info
So I FINALLY got my hands on a new tub from Chris. Last night was shave night. Performance was excellent in all areas as expected.

But that scent! I would like to discuss it.

I know I have been around this scent before. It seems like an old scent, like from the 70s, maybe mid 80s. I just cant place it. But I know it from somewhere in my past.
When I was done shaving I relathered my face and hopped in the shower. Letting the water run over my head I cupped my hands over my face to breathe in the full effect. Then it hit me, I think. This smells just like a softer version of what I remember Old Spice being like. Just a lightly musky spicy scent. Then afterwords I went to the den and compared my new vintage OS soap to the LPV and they are nothing alike, but the LPV still has those original OS ASL qualities (only softer).

For posterity's sake I lifted the scent description of the LPV ASL from Chris' website. May not be exact for the soap but these are his words.

"Just like the shaving soap, the heart of this fragrance blend contains clove, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg."

Back to last night, I used my Spanish Bath House Nutmeg and Fig AS Balm. I could still pick up the LPV soap even though both blended nicely. This morning, still have the LPV with me, so I decided to put nothing else on my face and went with the Spanish Bath House Nutmeg and Fig cologne. Smooth moisturized face and awesome scent all day. I couldn't be more pleased.

So for those that have used it, what are your thoughts on the secret sauce in this soap? I am not petitioning for the maker to create an account to come explain himself, just wanting to do some friendly conjecture amongst those that have used it. What say you?

8 169
 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Here are my notes on the LPV scent (please keep in mind, I have an uncultured sniffer)...

Quote:A rich "spicy / sweet" scent, with a light, warm, rich smokey (very mild incense) scent coming through in the background - excellent stuff. A mild, pleasing version of the scent lingers for a good 30 to 45 minutes after the save.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-05-2015, 01:32 PM
User Info
I got my LPV sample in last night with my full tub of BF. . The foremost things that stand out to me are the spiciness and the smoky background. I'm anxious to keep using it to try and pick out the other notes. It's a complex one for sure.

5 49
 02-05-2015, 02:06 PM
User Info
Hmm, incense. Maybe I need to go back to church and sneak a jar in with me to compare. I do have the QCS Bacilica, and the scent profiles are nothing alike. I will stick with the OS theory until I can sneak in church to see if thats what I remember it from. Its a possibility.

8 169
 02-05-2015, 05:21 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I get black pepper, chocolate, nutmeg.  It's complex and fantastic.  The LPV aftershave is awesome as well.  Out of the 12 CB soaps I've tried thus far, LPV ranks #1. (LTV and the new Vetiver are #2 and #3).

13 646
 02-05-2015, 07:20 PM
User Info
It is one of the nicest and most complex scents that I have tried!  Smile

82 21,056
 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM
User Info
(02-05-2015, 07:20 PM)celestino Wrote: It is one of the nicest and most complex scents that I have tried!  Smile

It's for this reason that I think Chris has found an older masculine scent that almost every single guy that tries it, identifies with.

8 169
 02-05-2015, 08:09 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
LPV is probably my favorite scent. I'm usually lost for words when describing scents, but I think it's like the scent of a woman, and a very sultry and sexy one at that. Tongue

38 5,034
 02-05-2015, 08:11 PM
User Info
I just got a bottle of the Le Piment de la Vie aftershave splash to go with the soap. I am looking forward to tomorrow's shave. Report to follow... Sherlock

39 3,880
 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM
User Info
The more I use LPV the more spice I smell. To me it wasn't as strong as when I first smelt it.  

5 59
 02-09-2015, 05:02 PM
User Info
Well I couldnt stand it anymore and went back to Chris' site and ordered the ASL. If its the same scent as the soap, I hope it gives it more lasting power through the day. In fact, I think I went on to his site after someone posted on TSN about the QCV and it locked up the paypal option for a few hours.

8 169
 02-09-2015, 06:21 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
LPV reminds me of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Andrew

43 1,698
 02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 06:21 PM)Andrew Wrote: LPV reminds me of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

Andrew

I've heard others say the same.

1 115
 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 05:02 PM)Olschoolsteel Wrote: Well I couldnt stand it anymore and went back to Chris' site and ordered the ASL. If its the same scent as the soap, I hope it gives it more lasting power through the day. In fact, I think I went on to his site after someone posted on TSN about the QCV and it locked up the paypal option for a few hours.

Watch out when you pour. I was warned it pours out quickly and still spilt a third down the drain.

It's scent is one of the toughest to pick out individual notes. I stopped thinking about it and just enjoy the sweet spiciness.

4 355
 02-11-2015, 07:55 AM
User Info
I know there's a lot of love for this scent, and fragrance is very subjective, but LPV is one that I just haven't taken to. I don't think it smells bad, no, but for me I get, overwhelmingly, a very familiar synthetic "woody-amber" base -- doubtless one of the aromachemicals commonly used in many men's fragrances these days. Some of these woody-amber chemicals can be pretty loud and persistent when over-used, so I've come to associate them with obnoxiousness, which is no fault of LPV, mind you. But at the same time, I don't get many other notes apart from this synthetic base. Unfortunately that means that for me, LPV doesn't smell unique or special, but like a familiar synthetic woody-amber, basically.

A few fragrances I can think of off-hand which use the same or a similar base include L'Occitane Eau de Baux and Imaginary Authors' Memoirs of a Trespasser.

0 53
 02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
User Info
Wasn't for me.  Not at all.  

2 58
 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM
User Info
I'm terrible with scents so I'm sure this won't be of much help but LPV is my favorite scent of any soap I own and I have a closet full.  To me it's a complex scent and while none of the scents individually would be appealing to me ("Just like the shaving soap, the heart of this fragrance blend contains clove, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg") together it's fantastic. The LPV after shave is equally as good IMO.  Now if Chris would only make this scent in a cologne . . .

112 354
 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
The scent is way to strong for me. The tub is resting in a hidden drawer until I figure out what to do with it.

44 486
 02-21-2015, 03:17 PM
User Info
Don't have a scent description but lpv is back in stock as of ten minutes ago. Just wanted to let everyone know in case they wanna pick it up

115 1,005
 02-22-2015, 08:31 AM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 01:22 PM)migs32 Wrote: The more I use LPV the more spice I smell. To me it wasn't as strong as when I first smelt it.  
I cannot resist..."He who smelt it, dealt it."   Facepalm

39 3,880