02-05-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
Folks,

Some history.....

This package arrived at the NY ISC on Jan 20, 2015 and was then sent to the Kearny, NJ USPS facility with an arrival scan of Jan 25, 2015.  Once it arrived at the Kearny, NJ facility, it must have gone in to a black hole.  No status, no departure scan.  My local post office said the package must "have the wrong ZIP code" and "to give it until Valentines".  Today it arrived in this condition with the postman telling me, "we got it this way, hope it is ok".

Fortunately, the brush was not damaged.  And, I'll grant to all postal carriers along the way that that the damage to the packaging could have happened anywhere along the way.  My frustration is with USPS..the tracking bar code was clearly readable for tracking and with the lame excuses they gave.

The story has a happy ending...the Semogue 2015HD, with a knot that was pressed flat, has no dings to the handle and the knot bloomed nicely after soaking in hot water and the drying.

I do not know what kept the brush in the package.  You'd think someone would have put a piece of tape over the tear.  Who knows the history........

Ed

[Image: iF9JV6I.jpg]
[Image: PMJQpHg.jpg]
[Image: uWA6tIe.jpg]

24 885
 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wow ..

.. I had a similar incident with a package from UK .. it arrived all mangled with exposed areas too .. surprisingly the contents were intact.

[Image: KzxLMv4.jpg]

119 19,681
 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM
User Info
I bet it got mangled on a conveyor or in passing through  a scanner or some such. There are passive rollers and driven feed rollers, the driven feed rollers will tear things up if it gets caught and no one is there to catch it. Frankly, it's a crap shoot on how long something like that will stay there to get chewed up. You were lucky; or the sender was.

Tape? You gotta be kidding me! That would indicate that someone at USPS actually cares. Plus, tape costs $.

FWIW, I tell my post office not to put "fragile" or anything  like that on the outside of the package. The only times I've ever had damage is when something like that was declared. That's proof that gorillas can read.

Another time a package was tracked into a sort facility every day for a week. I finally called USPS and asked to get someone off their butt to send it on it's way. It arrived at the destination the next day. Hey, if the computer doesn't tell them, it simply doesn't exist (or they can't be bothered). But myself, all in all, I have few complaints with USPS with the amount of shipping that I do. I never lose anything I ship out. But 2 items that were shipped to me went missing and never showed up.

32 6,609
 02-05-2015, 03:30 PM
  • Sevenbark
  • Lower Clinch River Valley
User Info
I do a fair amount of international shipping.  I would have used a Tyvek or some form of plastic envelope to withstand  the automation that is used and not tear. Or reinforced the edges with quality tape if it is a paper envelope, this must be done neatly to keep automation from entrapping it. Belt attendants should have pulled this from the automation and placed in the hand sort bin. I have been taught in shipping every dollar spent up front saves in multiples of 10 at every problem point up to and including claims. It is unfortunate that shipping in a box that is the same volume increases the cost substantially. Unfortunately once damage happened no one was proactive to the needs of the package.

25 349
 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is purely an assumption on my part, but I would assume that brush was shipped from a dealer in Portugal.  If my assumption is correct, I have never received a brush from this dealer that did not have a torn envelope.  IMHO, brushes should be shipped in a sturdy box.

189 26,354
 02-05-2015, 05:00 PM
User Info
I've had a package show up like that from Portugal. It was Aftershave shipped in a padded envelope and had leaked all over the place.

The vendor took cafe of me immediately and reshipped in a box.

If your package was damaged, send them pics and see what they say.

8 2,718
 02-05-2015, 05:57 PM
User Info
(02-05-2015, 04:40 PM)Johnny Wrote: This is purely an assumption on my part, but I would assume that brush was shipped from a dealer in Portugal.  If my assumption is correct, I have never received a brush from this dealer that did not have a torn envelope.  IMHO, brushes should be shipped in a sturdy box.
Johnny,

You are correct.  To be accurate, this is a brush from Bruno at Vintage Scent.  I have ordered more than a dozen brushes from him and all previous packages arrived in very nice condition...no tears, no damage.  I hold no ill feelings toward Bruno or Vintage Scent concerning the way they package and ship.  I lay this in the lap of USPS as they had the package in their possession and did not take the time to at least put a piece of tape over the tear.  Even if the package arrived from Europe with the tear one would think the USPS folks in NY,NY or the folks in Kearny, NJ or or the folks Woodbridge, VA would have taken the time to place a piece of tape over the tear.  The mail man's, "We got it like this, hope it is okay." is an indication of why the USPS is losing billions of dollars a year.  An operation that seems to care less about their customers.  IMHO a bunch of over paid under achievers.

Ed

24 885
 02-06-2015, 04:51 AM
User Info
I am glad the brush was in good condition and no damage but, why does a vendor sending a package from another country use a bag when it would be just as easy to use a sturdy box. And nobody knows exactly where the damage occurred.   

149 14,386
 02-06-2015, 05:03 PM
User Info
Wow! Good thing the brush survived the ordeal! 

93 21,373
 02-06-2015, 06:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
It's a shame some people don't care. I'm glad your brush was ok in the end.

20 5,857
 02-07-2015, 01:42 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I've had a few run the gauntlet...
I had one (can't find the photo) where the sender printed the label on an inkjet printer but didn't cover the label with tape.
The box got wet in the rain and the ONLY thing on it that was visible was (barely) my address.

Here's another one that went through the ringer...
[Image: PiLBX5s.jpg]
And a laptop (shipped this way FROM the repair center).
[Image: dFkhhS9.jpg]
[Image: nsZ4ydL.jpg]

49 2,173
 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
I'm not surprised to see seriously damaged packages getting delivered.

you'd be shocked with what some package handlers will do to packages they sort/load if they're having a bad day.

when I worked at UPS in 2004 or 2005, I believe it was, I switched shifts from the overnight shift to an earlier shift and thus got moved around to a different team.  rather than sorting packages on the belts, I was loading trucks.  we each had a primary truck we loaded and then typically shared the loading responsibilities for another truck.  well, the 'shared truck' happened to always get loaded up with avon boxes and products.  often times, a lot of these boxes would split open on the belt before you got to load them up inside the truck or the boxes would break open as you started to load them up and stack them.  this guy I worked next to would stomp on the boxes quite often and jump on top of the creams that spilled onto the bed of the truck causing whatever was inside of the bottles to go everywhere...it was pretty ridiculous, to be honest.

40 5,829
 02-14-2015, 12:46 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
My latest M&F brushes came in a completely destroyed envelope. I was lucky though that none of the brushes got harmed in the process though they were exposed. It was also clear that the packages had been opened and expected by customs prior to its arrival.

54 2,219
 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM
  • chazt
  • Super Moderator
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ed, can you tell us anything about how the brush has broken in?

I'm on the fence re: a 2015HD. I'm currently rotating 2 Semogue badgers with my 3 Semogue boars. The badgers are a brand new SOC silvertip/cherry and a 2013 LE silvertip/olivewood. Would the 2015HD be superfluous, in light of my other badger brushes? I'm thinking it would have pretty good flow through due to the higher loft. Push me Biggrin

20 5,857
 06-29-2015, 12:29 PM
User Info
this thread is so interesting. I hope to see more pictures!!
That laptop box is just hilarious.

53 764