02-05-2015, 06:42 PM
User Info
i guess my favorite pipe is a hand made savinelli

5 116
 02-05-2015, 07:02 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I used to smoke pipe frequently before I had kids...then it just faded as our lives became too busy. My wife actually enjoyed the scent (even when I was smoking English), so I can see myself going back at some point.

I think my favorite pipe was a Mastro de Paja, followed closely by one from Ser Jacopo...although I also enjoyed a few from Mauro Armellini, Bjarne, Jirsa, Peterson, and Dunhill. I even had a gorgeous Porsche design pipe that I sold (and regret) because it was just too pretty to smoke out of Sad

34 1,628
 02-05-2015, 07:03 PM
User Info
Every time I see a post about pipes, it makes me want to go buy some tobacco. 

I used to smoke pipes long long ago, had several...then I guess during one of my moves lost all of them. 

Maybe I need to go get me a corn cob and some tobacco. 

I think I still have a pipe and tobacco catalog. It has truly been so long I forgot what pipes I had. 

31 1,800
 02-05-2015, 07:25 PM
User Info
(02-05-2015, 07:02 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I used to smoke pipe frequently before I had kids...then it just faded as our lives became too busy. My wife actually enjoyed the scent (even when I was smoking English), so I can see myself going back at some point.

I think my favorite pipe was a Mastro de Paja, followed closely by one from Ser Jacopo...although I also enjoyed a few from Mauro Armellini, Bjarne, Jirsa, Peterson, and Dunhill. I even had a gorgeous Porsche design pipe that I sold (and regret) because it was just too pretty to smoke out of Sad

Tell me about the mastronde paja I've seen several on eBay but just haven't got one.  I smoke my pipe everyday while I'm walking the dogs in the woods or when I'm making shaving brushes or makeup brush handles for my wife it is the next most relaxing time of my day save for shaving in the morning

5 116
 02-05-2015, 07:26 PM
User Info
(02-05-2015, 07:03 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Every time I see a post about pipes, it makes me want to go buy some tobacco. 

I used to smoke pipes long long ago, had several...then I guess during one of my moves lost all of them. 

Maybe I need to go get me a corn cob and some tobacco. 

I think I still have a pipe and tobacco catalog. It has truly been so long I forgot what pipes I had. 

The cob pipes are nice the problem with pipes is you can collect as much stuff for them as you do for shaving 

5 116
 02-05-2015, 08:05 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(02-05-2015, 07:25 PM)ceferguson Wrote: Tell me about the mastronde paja I've seen several on eBay but just haven't got one.  I smoke my pipe everyday while I'm walking the dogs in the woods or when I'm making shaving brushes or makeup brush handles for my wife it is the next most relaxing time of my day save for shaving in the morning

It has been quite a while since I smoked with that one...and I would need to dig up my pipe stash to snap a pic, however I'll share what I remember...

I believe all the Mastro de Paja pipes are handmade, regardless of price...and you can tell (in a good way).  Mine is a classic shape...not one of the modern ones.  I used it for aromatic (I'm one of those that don't smoke English and Aromatic in the same pipe...I have separate pipes for each), and from the very first light I was in love.  Everything about it, for me, just felt "right." The feel in my hand, the balance, draw, burn, everything... . I had quite a pipe rotation going, but that one always came around at least once a week, sometimes more just because I enjoyed it so much. It didn't exceed the others at any one thing, but it is one that checked the most boxes for me.  I would highly recommend getting your hands on one, if you can...some of his pipes are priced reasonably as well (less than $200).  

34 1,628
 02-05-2015, 08:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've been smoking a pipe since I was 16. Started on a cob then went to Kaywoodie for many years. At one time or another I've smoked most of the popular brands out there from Peterson, Dunhill, Castello, etc. Right now my favorite is an Ashton size X which is becoming harder and harder to find.

At one time I had a pipe collection of over 250 pipes but I've sold all but the four Ashton's I have.

Nothing to fancy for me, just a good pipe and my Prince Albert tobacco.

178 23,806
 02-06-2015, 04:47 AM
User Info
Well, you are going to make me do it  Biggrin

With my cigar collection down to just a handful now, what are some good aromatic tobaccos?

Is PipesandCigars a good place to order from ?

I am going to start with a couple Missouri Meerschaum, but if I am going to smoke, it will have to be aromatic.

31 1,800
 02-06-2015, 05:08 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I had a real nice collection of pipes from corncobs to Dunhills but I had to quit smoking or die so I made my choice. All have found new homes and the (big) tobacco cellar is also gone. My favorite pipes where made by Jan Zeman.

28 1,442
 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-06-2015, 05:08 AM)Snuff Wrote: I had a real nice collection of pipes from corncobs to Dunhills but I had to quit smoking or die so I made my choice. All have found new homes and the (big) tobacco cellar is also gone. My favorite pipes where made by Jan Zeman.

Mr. Zeman is going out of business.

http://www.zemanpipes.com/

178 23,806
 02-06-2015, 01:27 PM
User Info
(02-06-2015, 04:47 AM)Bowhnter Wrote: Well, you are going to make me do it  Biggrin

With my cigar collection down to just a handful now, what are some good aromatic tobaccos?

Is PipesandCigars a good place to order from ?

I am going to start with a couple Missouri Meerschaum, but if I am going to smoke, it will have to be aromatic.

I have been very happy with pipeandcigar. And smokingpipes.com. There are a few others I will have to look up. I spent the last year and a half trying different tobaccos and now I just buy my two favorites in bulk and keep them in mason jars.  I prefer the Virginia and Perique blends such as old joe krantz and haunted bookshop

5 116
 02-06-2015, 05:11 PM
User Info
I love the look of pipes and the smell of good tobacco, but I have never smoked!  Biggrin

82 21,076
 02-06-2015, 06:30 PM
User Info
(02-06-2015, 05:11 PM)celestino Wrote: I love the look of pipes and the smell of good tobacco, but I have never smoked!  Biggrin

Have you tried cavendish soap by how to grow a mustache it smells just like cavendish tobacco

5 116
 02-06-2015, 07:04 PM
User Info
(02-06-2015, 06:30 PM)ceferguson Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 05:11 PM)celestino Wrote: I love the look of pipes and the smell of good tobacco, but I have never smoked!  Biggrin

Have you tried cavendish soap by how to grow a mustache it smells just like cavendish tobacco

I much prefer Mystic Water Sweet Briarwood; such a wonderful scent reminiscent of a sweet tobacco scent.  Smile

82 21,076
 02-07-2015, 02:41 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(02-06-2015, 01:12 PM)Johnny Wrote: Mr. Zeman is going out of business 

Haven't been on his site in years so I didn't know. There was this retired US country song writer and veteran who sold secondhand pipes back in the days but I can't remember his name (Getting old you know). I bought some big names from him but he stopped years ago.

28 1,442
 02-08-2015, 08:44 AM
User Info
Pipes are almost worse than shaving ADs, as I have gone from a single Peterson 314 System ($20 off eBay) to about 20 (only a dozen in active rotation) 

I cannot name a single favorite; I love the look of the Peterson Spigots (XL23, 999 and 80S are top 3), I love the blast on my Tinsky apples (4x) and the simplicity of my Stanwell HCA II churchwarden.  

As for the tobaccos, I am an "english lite"  kind of guy - the Frog Morton series still is my favorite smoke.  I do like the McClelland bulk english tobaccos as well, with 5110 Dark English and 5125 Coyote Classic being my go-to bulk blends.  And I even like some out on the other end of the spectrum.  My name is Tim and I love SG Grousemoor....

8 240
 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM
User Info
(02-08-2015, 08:44 AM)Tim_McD Wrote: Pipes are almost worse than shaving ADs, as I have gone from a single Peterson 314 System ($20 off eBay) to about 20 (only a dozen in active rotation) 

I cannot name a single favorite; I love the look of the Peterson Spigots (XL23, 999 and 80S are top 3), I love the blast on my Tinsky apples (4x) and the simplicity of my Stanwell HCA II churchwarden.  

As for the tobaccos, I am an "english lite"  kind of guy - the Frog Morton series still is my favorite smoke.  I do like the McClelland bulk english tobaccos as well, with 5110 Dark English and 5125 Coyote Classic being my go-to bulk blends.  And I even like some out on the other end of the spectrum.  My name is Tim and I love SG Grousemoor....

Yes I have to be careful or I start buying more pipes and tobaccos, as razors, brushes and soaps.

5 116
 02-08-2015, 06:49 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I smoke a pipe occasionally. But when I do...it is a great enjoyment. I only own a few pipes.  All Cavicchi's.

168 1,376
 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
day to day, mostly a collection of medium-sized Petersons, Dunhills, and for larger armchair pipes, some big Erik Nording freehands.
enjoy: Villiger-Stokkebye 1888 Late Night (sun-dried, cake-aged Virginias, top-dressed with Irish Whiskey and Honey)
Germain's Medium Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake.

0 1,291
 02-09-2015, 04:43 PM
User Info
Some of my favorite pipes
[Image: ElnjpO3.jpg]

5 116