02-07-2015, 03:44 AM
User Info
What is the difference between Simpson brushes with stickers saying "Made in England" and ones saying "Made in Great Britain"? Is there any difference in the quality of brush?

8 206
 02-07-2015, 03:49 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Depends how old. Made in GB is a more recent label because prior to that the stickers wrongly said 'Made in England' when they were not...they were made on the Isle on man, which is not part of England. In recent times, say the past 15 years or so, same quality of brush. Maybe a bit longer

0 1,768
 02-07-2015, 04:15 AM
User Info
Oh okay, I just recently bought a CH2 in super and noticed it said "Hand Made Great Britain" as opposed to the "Hand Made England Sterilized" that I have seen on other Simpson CH2 brushes when looking for information.

8 206
 02-07-2015, 04:58 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Nudge, Simpson has been using the "Hand Made In Great Britain" sticker for about a year now. The brush you have is top quality! 

The Chubby brushes are their best offering IMO. Enjoy!

28 1,622
 02-07-2015, 05:32 AM
User Info
Cheers for the reassurance James, It feels like a quality brush but I'm having a hard time getting a decent lather with it as it is easily twice as dense or more than my other brushes. Any tips on how you create lather with? 

8 206
 02-07-2015, 05:41 AM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Load it like you hate it! Remember that the Super is the most densely packed of all of the Chubby offerings. With that in mind, it will hold the lather more than the others, so give it a squeeze and a lot will come out. 

28 1,622
 02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
(02-07-2015, 05:32 AM)nudge101 Wrote: Cheers for the reassurance James, It feels like a quality brush but I'm having a hard time getting a decent lather with it as it is easily twice as dense or more than my other brushes. Any tips on how you create lather with? 

Just load the brush twice as long as you would normally do and spend more time generating the lather. You may want to try face-lathering as this will work out a bit better and facilitate the process. Have fun!  Thumbsup

83 21,077
 02-07-2015, 12:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
And if you decide you don't like it, just ship it to me.  Biggrin

178 23,809
 02-07-2015, 11:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
In January 2013, a thread appeared on a forum where Simpson are not permitted to comment.

In the same month and year, a total of ONE complaint was received by the ASA (Advertising Standards Association).

The case was informally resolved without need for formal investigation.

The issue was in regards to the sticker on Simpson brushes.

Simpson brushes, for a number of years now, are made on the Isle of Man.

As best as I understand, the Isle of Man is a self governing crown dependancy of the United Kingdom, located in the Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II. It's foreign relations, defence and ultimately good governance are the responsibility of the British Government. It is not a member of the Commonwealth of Nations (like my more geographically removed home, Australia) or save for a limited extent, part of the European Union. The political definition of Great Britain refers to England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Wight, Anglesey, the Isles of Scilly, Hebrides and the island groups of Orkney and Shetland (but not the Isle of Man). Technically, the Isle of Man is a possession of the crown (not the United Kingdom). It was never conquered, instead its feudal rights were purchased by the crown. Legislation of the Isle of man defines the "Crown in right of the Isle of Man" as being separate from the "Crown in right of the United Kingdom," despite the fact that Queen Elizabeth II holds the title Lord of Mann . Geographically, the United Kingdom, does not include Crown dependancies, but the British Isles does include the Isle of Man. Great Britain is the official collective name of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands (it does not include Northern Island and therefore is not interchangeable with the United Kingdom).

Mark was contacted via PM (by a member) and responded:

Quote:Well, the simplest answer I can give you is this ...

We are using old stock stickers on the brushes.

We are due to launch a new website later this year which will incorporate the history of the brand, heritage associated with it, archive photographs, short videos of Simpson hand made manufacturing techniques, full brush dimensions & specs, links, press ... etc etc.

As part of this process we have been looking at the company livery, primarily focusing on the Simpson sticker. We are proud of our Isle of Man roots here and I would agree that the 'Made in England' moniker is now a bit old hat. We certainly don't direct our marketing efforts on the back of that slogan - in fact our website, invoicing, email etc etc makes clear reference that we are based on the Isle of Man. No effort has ever been made to conceal the fact that our manufacturing facility is located on the Isle of Man, itself a Crown dependancy of the United Kingdom.

We may choose to use a similar sticker still bearing the Simpson name & 'STERILIZED' but incorporating 'Handmade in Great Britain' or something similar. We have our graphic designer working on several mock ups.

I hope this answers the question as succinctly as I can?

The answer to the OP's question is: regardless of sticker you have a high quality brush. Everything else (in relation to the decal) IMO is really semantics.

(02-07-2015, 05:32 AM)nudge101 Wrote: ... It feels like a quality brush but I'm having a hard time getting a decent lather with it as it is easily twice as dense or more than my other brushes. Any tips on how you create lather with? 

As already stated, the brush is big and super dense, it needs more product. More product, means it also will need more water. Be warned, when you have ample of both product and water, you'll also have copious amounts of lather.

99 18,011
 02-08-2015, 07:41 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies, you have thoroughly answered my questions. Looks like I need to load more product and have a play around with the amount of water added. It certainly is a wall of badger hair!

8 206