02-07-2015, 10:59 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Q: how do you most effectively load your brush with Al's creams (without a bowl)?

Background:
I recently received a generous sample of Al's shaving cream and liked it so much that I ordered the full sample set and a jar of Calypso (...and the 2 soaps in tins (sapone da barba)).

My ONLY complaint with the creams is that when I try loading the brush, I usually end up with a clump(s) of cream that take forever (if ever) to 'dissolve' when I build lather. Those clumps often fling on the floor or in the sink, making the lather building process an annoyance, instead of pleasure.
I've watched the video on his site where the guy uses the bowl, but I don't like using bowls to lather (I palm lather or face lather). Furthermore, if I take a bit of cream and smear it onto my hand (instead of onto the bowl, as he does in the video), a lot of the cream just sticks to my hand and really never gets loaded onto the brush even with lots of effort. Loading the brush from the tub would seem like the logical solution but there is something about it that makes it very difficult to know how much cream is being loaded onto the brush (even when compared to other products, IMO). In complete defense of the product and producer, this brush-loading issue really just related to the extremely rich and dense consistency of the cream, almost firm as a croap... except it's called cream! And THEY use it like a cream! Soooo...

Q: how do you most effectively load your brush with Al's creams (without a bowl)?
Thanks!

62 3,004
 02-07-2015, 11:20 PM
User Info
Have you tried digging out a portion with your finder and then smearing it on your face and then lathering with the brush from there?

9 1,208
 02-07-2015, 11:29 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I use a synthetic brush and just jam the dry bristles directly in the pot.  Then move to a lather bowl and add water as needed.
A few times (with the sample pots), I just scooped out some of the cream with my finger and smeared it on my face, then face-lathered.
That doesn't really answer your question...but it's what I do.

47 1,947
 02-08-2015, 04:51 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Besides the suggestion already offered - another method is to scoop out the portion desired with your finger and 'implant' it deep within the core of a damp brush (soaked but excess water shaken out). While 'implanting' - you may also spread/agitate gently to ensure that all cream and 'clumps' are firmly sticking to bristles. Then start lathering as per normal. This is my preferred method with Al's and other thick creams. 

Close second would be applying cream directly on face. Do spread out the portion across various areas of the face though. :-)

p.s. Al's creams don't get enough credit. One of the finest soap/cream bases in production today.

17 535
 02-08-2015, 08:45 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I think it's a top performer too. Definitely the best of the artisan products I've tried.

62 3,004
 02-08-2015, 10:21 AM
User Info
Hi Matt,

I know just what you mean about clumps and inexact loading amounts that can occur with a very firm cream. There's a solution but you're gonna need a bowl. You can still face lather as I do, or bowl lather using this method.

The idea is to give the product a chance to soften up.... a little time to dissolve in the water. Can be as short as a few minutes.

So maybe try scooping out a small easy to measure amount of the croap and plop it in a bowl. I use a small stainless salt steel spoon and it's perfect. From there I add a few tablespoons of very hot water and keep that surrounding the cream for 3-4 seconds. This gets the cream's attention and helps start to break it down. Then pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the water and chop the cream up into small pieces. Then let it just sit there a couple minutes and get to whisking after giving your brush a good shake.

You want very little lather when starting this. The plan is to load the brush with a liquid soap with zero lumps left over. Add small amounts of water if needed, being sure to load the brush deeply. After maybe a minute of that you might either stay with the bowl or go to your face to finish up with more water being added that way.

Its about control, and making sure all the product is being used and always the same amount.

Anyway, it works for me,

Martin

1 79
 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM
User Info
I load it as I do any other cream. Dip a damp brush directly into the pot, and start building lather onto the face, no bowl needed. His creams are great but do seem to need some extra water so I may need to dip the loaded brush into my sink full of water for extra hydration. Seems to work for me. 

46 489
 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It takes such a small amount of his creams to explode into a wonderful lather. I just barely get the tips of my brush loaded with the smallest amount of cream, then face lather. I think that you're having problems from too much product on your brush, which would lead to clumping. I've also smeared a very small layer of cream onto my face and then lathered, which works equally well. His creams are a little denser, therefore less need for much product, and therefore that little 4 oz jar will last a long time. His creams and ASB's are really a treat, and the complex scents are some of the best. 

38 5,194