02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
User Info
Besides what I have on the 4 shave shelves in the bathroom, I have 3 large storage tubs full of shave gear.  I would like to have a major clean out but am overwhelmed with how best to post on the B/S/T.  I have sold before but on a much smaller scale.  I have razors, brushes, creams, soaps, pre-shaves, aftershave splashes and balms.  I am looking for feedback as to how best organize and sell what I have on the B/S/T.  I know I don't want to go item by item.  

Gentleman that have had bigger sales please let me know what you think.  I'm just looking for an organized way to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Thanks
Tim

37 146
 02-09-2015, 12:49 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I only have one large "box in the basement", but its a similar problem.

Subscribed.

57 1,565
 02-09-2015, 12:55 PM
User Info
You were the reason I bought the storage tubs Max!  I then proceeded to fill them all up

37 146
 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(02-09-2015, 12:55 PM)oasis man Wrote: You were the reason I bought the storage tubs Max!  I then proceeded to fill them all up

Laughing1

57 1,565
 02-09-2015, 01:15 PM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
(02-09-2015, 12:57 PM)MaxP Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 12:55 PM)oasis man Wrote: You were the reason I bought the storage tubs Max!  I then proceeded to fill them all up

Laughing1

Ha Ha! Max, you are obliged to help him now. Tongue

81 557
 02-09-2015, 01:19 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Do sale by Type like for Example:

-Great Razor Sale

-Great Aftershave Sale

and if you have a lot add part 1 part 2 slowly

11 880
 02-09-2015, 01:47 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 01:19 PM)celar36 Wrote: Do sale by Type like for Example:

-Great Razor Sale

-Great Aftershave Sale

How would you put them in lots? By scent, by maker, by price? Just wondering

37 146
 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM
User Info
I would suggest that you keep the DE razors together; the blades together, the soaps etc. You might, as incentive offer a package of blades with a razor purchase. Take clear and simple photos that are well lit. Outline any abnormalities, dents, etc. Be clear how and where you'll ship. You'll get more advice, but this is a good starting point. Good luck, I am curious to see what you come up with.  Thumbup

39 3,876
 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
An option may be mystery boxes. Load a box with soaps, brush, razors, blades, etc.
Put a great price on it...and let a buyer enjoy the suspense and surprise.
For this to work well, the value ought to be 2 or 3 times the price, IMHO.

Shoot, most of us enjoy feeling like we scored in a deal. Biggrin

57 1,565
 02-09-2015, 02:13 PM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
The suggestions by Jack, Primo and Max seem like the way that would work best in this case. One way would be have a mix of lot sales and mystery boxes together. Or you could think about selling one kind of gear before moving to the next - all razors first, then soaps, etc.

Good Luck Tim.

81 557
 02-09-2015, 02:38 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 01:47 PM)oasis man Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 01:19 PM)celar36 Wrote: Do sale by Type like for Example:

-Great Razor Sale

-Great Aftershave Sale

How would you put them in lots? By scent, by maker, by price? Just wondering

You can do them by maker, tallow, vegie, creams, fougere lot, sandalwood lot, soap stick lot, etc. All depends on what you have to work with.

147 3,462
 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM
User Info
There's no right or wrong way.  Why not just do what seems best to you? There are so many goals with this and you didn't tell us what your goal was. Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer and figure out what you want and what they see.

If the goal is to get the maximum $ out of the sale then you might do it one way, if the goal is to just move them "right now!" it could be done another way.

FWIW, the larger the "lot" I think the less attractive it is and the less they'll sell for. Let's face it, if a lot has 5 razors I don't want and 3 that I do I'm not inclined to pay for the razors I don't want. Same goes for all of it. Too, the larger the lot the more you'll want from it and that removes many folks from even considering it.

BTW, if you have lather catchers I think the forum rules say you need to contact me first. Biggrin  And if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

I would sell individually and know that you'll be doing it for awhile. Anything that doesn't sell individually put those items in lots. But I'm not you. I don't know the goal and I don't know what you have for time and energy to devote to this.

32 6,445
 02-09-2015, 10:05 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I'll be in OH at the end of March...I could "help" you. Wink

47 1,901
 02-10-2015, 01:36 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 03:38 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: There's no right or wrong way.  Why not just do what seems best to you? There are so many goals with this and you didn't tell us what your goal was. Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer and figure out what you want and what they see.

If the goal is to get the maximum $ out of the sale then you might do it one way, if the goal is to just move them "right now!" it could be done another way.

FWIW, the larger the "lot" I think the less attractive it is and the less they'll sell for. Let's face it, if a lot has 5 razors I don't want and 3 that I do I'm not inclined to pay for the razors I don't want. Same goes for all of it. Too, the larger the lot the more you'll want from it and that removes many folks from even considering it.

BTW, if you have lather catchers I think the forum rules say you need to contact me first. Biggrin  And if you believe that I have some ocean front property in Nebraska to sell you.

I would sell individually and know that you'll be doing it for awhile. Anything that doesn't sell individually put those items in lots. But I'm not you. I don't know the goal and I don't know what you have for time and energy to devote to this.
Brian, the main goal is to reduce inventory of products. I actually get overwhelmed sometimes trying to decide which products I want to grab. A lot of it is still unused. I like to make some money back, not make a profit. I know it would be better for me to give a good discount so I can move the product. I'm going to do a few PIFs and a couple of mystery boxes to reduce inventory quick

Thanks

37 146
 02-10-2015, 01:38 PM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 10:05 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I'll be in OH at the end of March...I could "help" you. Wink

If you're serious let me know what part you'll be in. I'm in NE ohio. I also happen to live very close to The brick and mortar shop Imperial Shaving, which is also straight razor designs. We could meet at Imperial and buy more stuff. Hahaha!

37 146
 02-10-2015, 01:57 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
(02-10-2015, 01:38 PM)oasis man Wrote:
(02-09-2015, 10:05 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: I'll be in OH at the end of March...I could "help" you. Wink

If you're serious let me know what part you'll be in. I'm in NE ohio. I also happen to live very close to The brick and mortar shop Imperial Shaving, which is also straight razor designs. We could meet at Imperial and buy more stuff. Hahaha!

Dayton.  But I'll only have one day in March free.  Looks like it's a 3hr drive each way. Sad

47 1,901
 02-10-2015, 01:58 PM
User Info
Unfortunately Dayton isn't that close. Maybe next time

37 146
 02-10-2015, 02:48 PM
User Info
This is an area where I've had problems. Selling razors one-by-one gets expensive due to the overhead in shipping. Selling them in bulk, nobody really wants to buy them and you end up having to sell the lot for relatively little. Soaps, the same thing - in fact I've thrown away a few soaps because it simply isn't worth selling them for the few dollars I'd make. For aftershaves, I've had a horrible time selling them and resorted to trading them for products - overall I probably took a "loss"considering how expensive it is to ship liquids, like the soaps I'll probably end up dumping the cheap AS I have instead of trying to sell them or even PIF. (It's cheaper to just send someone a few bucks to buy Clubman at the drugstore than to ship it!)

I've tried newbie kits in the past, razor + a soap or two and a brush, it really depends on where you are selling it. I think some other forums have a lot more "newbies" than we do. Reddit has a BST (shave bazaar) that seems to have decent traffic with kits. In that case it really depends on what razor/soap/brush you are selling, inexpensive rules the day as well as products that get a lot of forum buzz. For splitting things out, I wouldn't bother unless it was an expensive razor/brush/soap (think cased Gillette or modern SS razor, Simpsons brush, soaps with retail >$20, stuff like that.) I'm not sure I'd include the AS unless you can fit it in a flat rate box and seal it so it doesn't leak, otherwise it will just not be worth it especially if it does leak and you end up having to give someone a refund. The only exception is if it is expensive AS (like Floid Blue), then either sell it or try to trade it.

12 1,247
 02-10-2015, 03:41 PM
User Info
I just did something similar, but on a smaller scale. I sold 50+ soaps and cream, handful of razors, brushes and aftershaves.

I organized by type of gear, listed the first cut (what I knew I wanted to sell) and then added as I felt better about what I wanted to keep. It would have likely been better to put everything per genre up at once because I ended up sending multiple boxes to some people.

To get around some of the shipping issue, I charged $5 per order (1 or many) on soaps and creams (heaviest). This seemed to help defray the cost of the close to 40 boxes I shipped.

Because I was charging for shipping, I tried to keep costs low. If soaps didn't move quickly, I lowered prices.

Razors and brushes are easy to ship / higher prices tend to balance out shipping.

As mentioned above AS splashes are probably the biggest pain. I sold a group together at a really low price so I could ship all flat rate.

While not easy, I'm happy I did it.

GLWTS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 02-12-2015, 07:01 AM
User Info
(02-09-2015, 12:41 PM)oasis man Wrote: Besides what I have on the 4 shave shelves in the bathroom, I have 3 large storage tubs full of shave gear.  I would like to have a major clean out but am overwhelmed with how best to post on the B/S/T.  I have sold before but on a much smaller scale.  I have razors, brushes, creams, soaps, pre-shaves, aftershave splashes and balms.  I am looking for feedback as to how best organize and sell what I have on the B/S/T.  I know I don't want to go item by item.  

Gentleman that have had bigger sales please let me know what you think.  I'm just looking for an organized way to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Thanks
Tim

Hey Tim(Fellow Buckeye)
I think I can help you get rid of what you don't need. I can store them at my house.
How about them Buckeyes?!!!!
Terry

0 854