02-10-2015, 07:19 AM
User Info
Those of you who use a wok...any recommendations?  My wife has a cheap one that she's not taken very good care of.  I love her Chinese cooking and am thinking about getting her a quality wok, but I don't know what makes for a quality wok.  Suggestions?  

0 836
 02-10-2015, 07:48 AM
User Info
I like this one:
http://korin.com/Iron-Peking-Wok
The 13'' is plenty big for me, but most will opt for the 14 or 15.

There are the pre-seasoned ones with wooden handle and they'll tend to have flat bottoms for the many who have electric ranges, such as this:
http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/wok...soned.html

But a wok ring will let you use the round bottom on any stove. Woks like the one from Korin are more traditional, and I think they just work better. This style wok can be found for less if you look around. Do a Google search using "Japanese wok" and a lot of examples pop up.

29 1,776
 02-10-2015, 07:49 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Funny coincidence .. my wife just asked me to get a new wok this weekend .. I'll be following this thread with interest .. Smile

102 18,669
 02-10-2015, 08:54 AM
User Info
First I need to ask... what are you using for a heat source? If you have one of these
 you're probably much better off with a good cast iron or steel pan. When I write steel I mean something like a big deBuyers pan. Our western burners simply don't work efficiently with the wok shape and are designed to work best with a flat bottomed pan.

I tried every wok type under the sun before realizing that I already had the best "wok" for my burner in the kitchen and it had been there all the time. I no longer use our woks for stir frying and they simply take up space. Now I use the 14" CI Lodge pan if I'm cooking for 2 or more and the 8" CI pan for smaller servings. I do use a wok for steaming in a bamboo steamer though since I haven't found a multilevel steamer basket that fits a western stock pot. Once I do, the bamboo steamer and the woks are history.

32 6,471
 02-10-2015, 09:46 AM
User Info
(02-10-2015, 08:54 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: First I need to ask... what are you using for a heat source? If you have one of these >>> burners (click here) <<<< you're probably much better off with a good cast iron or steel pan. When I write steel I mean something like a big deBuyers pan. Our western burners simply don't work efficiently with the wok shape and are designed to work best with a flat bottomed pan.

I tried every wok type under the sun before realizing that I already had the best "wok" for my burner in the kitchen and it had been there all the time. I no longer use our woks for stir frying and they simply take up space. Now I use the 14" CI Lodge pan if I'm cooking for 2 or more and the 8" CI pan for smaller servings. I do use a wok for steaming in a bamboo steamer though since I haven't found a multilevel steamer basket that fits a western stock pot. Once I do, the bamboo steamer and the woks are history.

Good points.  We have a regular gas stove.

0 836
 02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
User Info
We ditched our old Wok years ago and have been using either a Lodge 15" skillet or a Lodge 5qt. chicken fryer (a deep 12" skillet) for Wok like tasks..  They take time to heat up, but once heated the thermal mass of the thick pans holds heat like no one's business.  

3 460
 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM
User Info
the heat source and the dynamics of your cooking make a huge difference. With powerful gas stove and thin stamped metal pan is not the same as with a medium power electric plate and thick cast metal pan.
Sometimes a overpowered simple metal pan is great to bring out that roasted flavour.....on steak and vegetables....Smile

21 1,175