06-06-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I am not good with ingredients, and what they do for the shavingproducts. So I have two questions:

SLE/SLS:
Ive read about SLE/SLS as a ingredient in soaps, creams etc. What is it, and why is it bad?

Palmoil:
Palmoil is often used in shaving products. It's been alot in the media (at least in Norway), that palmoil is not a good product in food, as it's unfavorable properties. But is it bad for you when used on the skin?

7 858
 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
SLS is a foaming agent/detergent. In shaving creams it enhances the ability of the soap to make bubbles. I don't recall what its supposed negative effects are, but I do remember that there was not much evidence. A lot of the pages I found were all fear-mongering and false correlation (They use SLS in drain cleaners, therefore SLS = drain cleaner).

No idea about palm oil. I imagine whatever the problem is with ingesting it wouldn't transfer over to topical use.

10 1,858
 06-06-2012, 11:57 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Some people seem to react well to palm oil, others not so much. Kind of like the lanolin scenario.
I agree that something applied topically, especially in a transient fashion like shave cream will not have similar implications as consuming it internally.

BTW, isn't that where Palmolive got it's name from? I adore the Palmolive cream and the stick!

ReConfusedLS/SLES If you search long enough, you'll find arguments both ways. Make your own judgements. Some companies like Proraso have removed this from their products and some haven't.
It is in widespread usage here in the States in shampoos, body washes, face washes, etc.
I agree that there is a lot of false correlation and I also think the same at this point about a lot of the so called "questionable" ingredients in a lot of products. If you were to truly believe everything that is thrown out at you, you would end up shaving only with water from a singular Alaska spring source without any cream or soap and you'd be bathing only with mineral salts in a hot spring and you'd wash your cloths only by beating them against a rock and then throwing them over Niagara falls in a handmade, oak barrel. Biggrin

6 905
 06-07-2012, 12:49 AM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
SLS/SLE: I don't belive everything I read, but I've seen many places in reviews people says "hope they remove the SLS/SLE from the product". So I started wondering what the fuss was all about. After reading abit about it, I don't see the trouble with it in shavingcreams.

Palmoil: I didn't know untill now that palmoil was such a common ingredient in skinproducts. Good to know it's no problem using it topically Smile

7 858
 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
User Info
We make a new shaving cream, Sultans Original Shaving Soap and we believe that most shaving soaps have a lot of added chemicals
companies use to make the soap work the way they want, kind of fluff it up. We think soap should be made with only oil blends the way it once was

0 34