02-11-2015, 01:03 PM
User Info
Gents,
I am ready to add sandalwood to my routine. I would like to solicit your recommendations for a soap/croap/cream and an aftershave/cologne. Also, is anyone familiar with this:
[Image: WaPPsXZ.png]

It's $90 shipped. Is it worth the premium price?
Thanks for your input.

39 3,877
 02-11-2015, 01:10 PM
User Info
I always enjoyed trumpers sandlewood but  it seems a little mellow to me now with all the new choices around.  I particularly like kramperts new bay rum a lot.  good luck in your search

73 1,263
 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
(02-11-2015, 01:03 PM)primotenore Wrote: Gents,
I am ready to add sandalwood to my routine. I would like to solicit your recommendations for a soap/croap/cream and an aftershave/cologne. Also, is anyone familiar with this:

Thanks for your input.

2 3,171
 02-11-2015, 01:25 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
$90 24  Step into this alley with me, looks around and scribbles a message on a business card ( Meehan's sandalwood; $64 bullgooseshaving) looks around again and slips away.
These folks are near one of my alma maters up in Santa Cruz and primarily grow lavender along with a lovely bay rum and another scent. The Meehans is one of, if not the only TRUE sandalwood out there and this is reflected in the higher price. Sandalwood isn't cheap, or plentiful and; as lovely as the others may be they are a blend of spices called 'sandalwood'.
I enjoyed a bottle, hope to buy one again. It is a VERY dry,close scent. I can only describe it as a  old cedar chest with almost all the cedar oils exhausted vs a new one that has that
rich,rolling smell. It is still lovely, more of a fading violin in Sheherazade than Blue Danube.
I tried Harris and found it to 'oily' to the point of near irritation from the essential oils.

2 3,171
 02-11-2015, 01:35 PM
User Info
(02-11-2015, 01:25 PM)kav Wrote: $90 24  Step into this alley with me, looks around and scribbles a message on a business card ( Meehan's sandalwood; $64 bullgooseshaving) looks around again and slips away.
These folks are near one of my alma maters up in Santa Cruz and primarily grow lavender along with a lovely bay rum and another scent. The Meehans is one of, if not the only TRUE sandalwood out there and this is reflected in the higher price. Sandalwood isn't cheap, or plentiful and; as lovely as the others may be they are a blend of spices called 'sandalwood'.
I enjoyed a bottle, hope to buy one again. It is a VERY dry,close scent. I can only describe it as a  old cedar chest with almost all the cedar oils exhausted vs a new one that has that
rich,rolling smell. It is still lovely, more of a fading violin in Sheherazade than Blue Danube.
I tried Harris and found it to 'oily' to the point of near irritation from the essential oils.

Out of stock  Babeando

39 3,877
 02-11-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
The Sandalwood AS that I've liked the best so far is the Captain's Choice version.

I have some more samples coming in from Maggard's this weekend to try out some other brands as well.

Tried Stirling Soaps Sandalwood shave soap, and it was just too earthy for me, loved the performance though.

5 49
 02-11-2015, 01:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
It is made in small batches and goes quickly among the initiated. I would heed all those Senior noncoms in those old Zulu Movies-WAIT FOR IT- WAIT-WAIT.......

2 3,171
 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM
User Info
Sandalwood is one of those scents where each vendor has a little different spin on the scent.  And, to be honest, I do not know what true Sandalwood smells like.  I have found the TOBS cream and the Proraso Red tub and cream Sandalwood scents to be appealing to me with great lather to boot.  It is one of those deals where you make the purchase and hopefully it meets your olfactory expectations.

Ed

21 751
 02-11-2015, 03:22 PM
User Info
I pair Stirling Sandalwood soap with Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave.  It works well for me, but I am not a well-seasoned sandalwood connoisseur.  The good thing about these two is they are a lot cheaper than $90 combined!

1 135
 02-11-2015, 05:33 PM
User Info
I didn't even know they made Sandalwood. I see their Bay Rhum and Uplands at many local stores but never the other. I'll keep an eye out for it. I can tell you not to buy their shaving soap. It's worthless.

15 771
 02-11-2015, 05:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
he most expedient way to sample a 'true' sandalwood is via a Buddhist temple incense stick. Again, the incense industry also has numerous interpretations. A potent version is indian Nag Champa. I would not go there! Classic sandalwood is a subtle cultural ambassador. I was on a date in Venice California a few years past and wearing it. We're in a shop and this booming voice states ' I am in the presence of joy!' People are practicing what in anthropology is called social distancing, or in plain English moving away from the weird guy ( not me this time) to weird even for Venice. I turn to recognize Hannibal Means. I know Primo knows of him and will say no more. I thanked him for his voice. We briefly chatted and I somehow mentioned Bizet's Au fond du Temple Saint as a favourite since it's revival in the movie Gallipoli. People all looked up like antelope when a lion is first sensed as he gifted a few lines, laughed, took both of our arms and strode out. 

2 3,171
 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM
User Info
(02-11-2015, 01:03 PM)primotenore Wrote: Gents,

Thanks for your input.
have been using cyril salter sandalwood cream,great shave and the scent is wonderful

0 55
 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM
User Info
Mystic Water has a lovely Sandalwood. 

82 21,056
 02-12-2015, 06:15 AM
User Info
I forgot that the WSP Sandalwood has a really nice scent, and great performance for me even with really hard water.

You can get sample from their site. WSP Shaving Soaps

5 49
 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
User Info
I am getting some good feedback on TOBS. Anybody have experience with the TOBS Sandalwood Hard puck? 

39 3,877
 02-12-2015, 09:34 PM
User Info
If you're looking for soap consider the new DR Harris Sandalwood. I am also a big fan of Proraso red.

15 771
 02-13-2015, 12:17 PM
User Info
I've found the Meehan's for a reasonable, albeit still $$, and I am going to pair it with the D.R. Harris Sandalwood Tallow Soap.  Mailboxempty
Thanks for everyone's input. 

39 3,877
 02-13-2015, 01:23 PM
User Info
If you're looking for a top-notch sandalwood cologne to follow up the shave routine with, I'd definitely recommend trying out a sample of Santal Noble by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantrier.  Pricey, but amazing.  http://www.basenotes.net/company/100557

3 147
 02-14-2015, 06:55 AM
User Info
Mühle sandalwood has a pretty and elaborated scent. 

[Image: muehle-pflege-rasierseife-sandelholz-por..._rn2sh.jpg]

I have tried TOBS Sandalwood, and it was horrible, sincerly. Too strong, too musch a musk "touch" even if the shaving cream/soap is good (lather, foam, etc.)

2 125
 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I have found that Catie's Bubbles Santal Sensuelle pairs great with Captain's Choice Sandalwood aftershave.  Received a gift AOS Sandalwood cream and AOS aftershave balm.  The scents are great but I'm not a big fan of the aftershave balm. 

7 1,162