02-11-2015, 04:49 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I recently tried AoS creams on Matt's (aka Nero's) recommendation. This is an excellent cream! Lathers quick, produces rich & profuse lather and most importantly (for me) - it delivers excellent in-shave protection and post shave skin condition. It's in my top-3 creams for sure.

I'm sorry I waited this long to try this cream.Why does AoS get such a bad rap? At the least - the creams don't get much love on the boards.

The popular sentiment is that this is an overpriced, inferior quality product made by a company that does not know what it's doing. The quality of AoS shaving cream, Gillette's marketshare and the number of scientists they employ in Boston, USA and Reading, UK to study 'shaving' seem to indicate otherwise?

17 535
 02-11-2015, 05:14 PM
User Info
I have used the sandalwood variety a few times. The performance is not bad and I really enjoy the sandalwood scent they offer.

63 1,596
 02-11-2015, 05:29 PM
User Info
I think that it being owned by a large corporation and readily available in malls, it doesnt have the "exotic" stature of those products that must be ordered from the internet.  

I use and really like the sandalwood, lemon and lavender creams - plus I recommend them to anyone starting out because they are immediately available and perform well.  The only dings against them is that the product is kinda pricey, the staff are usually pushing the pre-shave, post-shave and kits, and the scents (while very very good) are limited.  

They are a gateway drug and definitely get respect, but they dont have the history or the breathe of the English and Italian products

8 240
 02-11-2015, 06:16 PM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(02-11-2015, 05:29 PM)Tim_McD Wrote: I think that it being owned by a large corporation and readily available in malls, it doesnt have the "exotic" stature of those products that must be ordered from the internet.  
<..>

They are a gateway drug and definitely get respect, but they dont have the history or the breathe of the English and Italian products

I understand.

Personally - I'm all about performance as long as the product is affordable. If it performs tops - it stays in my den; provenance is secondary. YMMV.

17 535
 02-11-2015, 06:41 PM
User Info
Amazing creams. I used two tubs that I purchased at Winners (TJ Maxx). Well worth $15-20. Any more than that, I'd choose GFT.

8 2,718
 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I don't mind AoS creams and I think they're a great product. My favorite cream of theirs is the ocean kelp.

I just happen to have a few other creams that seem to perform a little better on my skin. That, coupled with the fact that I use soaps 95% of the time means my two AoS creams get pretty lonely Sad

34 1,627
 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM
  • cmh8890
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
You ask an interesting question.  But rather than try to answer why no love on the forums, I'll just say that I think the AoS cream is excellent.  I'm primarily a soap guy, but I do have a few creams that I use, and AoS sandalwood is one of them.  I'll always have that AoS sandalwood cream in my den.  I personally find it to be my favorite sandalwood scent, and there are many variances of sandalwood, to be sure.  But I like it a lot - and the performance is quite good.  Is it a bit pricey?  Maybe, but it's worth it to me based on the scent alone, not to mention the performance.  The bottom line is that if YOU like it, then go for it; it's YOUR shave.  Everyone is certainly different and YMMV, but if you like certain shaving products, then use them.  There are a number of products that generate quite a bit of forum buzz, either pro or con.  Take all of it with a grain of salt and use for general information and try to glean what you can from them, but try not to let it influence your likes or dislikes. 

13 649
 02-12-2015, 02:08 AM
User Info
AOS creams are excellent.

Made by Creighton, a renowned UK based company that also make creams for TOBS, DR HARRIS, TF&H, GFT, Penhaligon, Floris and St. James of London. I own and like especially the Sandalwood cream, but also own Ocean Kelp and the lavender - all perform awesome. Just a tiny step below St. James of London, but certainly on par with TF&H and GFT creams !

I'd rate AOS shaving creams 8.5/10. Great performers.

I hear the creams have been reformulated in 2014. My 3 pots of AOS are from 2012/2013 and made by Creighton. Don't know how the new versions of AOS perform.

24 6,018
 02-12-2015, 05:24 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(02-12-2015, 02:08 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I hear the creams have been reformulated in 2014. My 3 pots of AOS are from 2012/2013 and made by Creighton. Don't know how the new versions of AOS perform.

Current creams are Made in USA. I assume P&G does the production in house?

17 535
 02-12-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
It's quite pricey.

0 1
 02-12-2015, 08:28 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(02-12-2015, 02:08 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Ocean Kelp ...

I hear the creams have been reformulated in 2014. My 3 pots of AOS are from 2012/2013 and made by Creighton. Don't know how the new versions of AOS perform.

I always thought the Ocean Kelp was made in USA and not available before that switch?
You might already have the reformulated version, Claus.

62 3,006
 02-13-2015, 09:37 AM
User Info
(02-11-2015, 06:41 PM)Bruce Wrote: Amazing creams.  I used two tubs that I purchased at Winners (TJ Maxx).  Well worth $15-20.  Any more than that, I'd choose GFT.

I think this is the reason. They're good creams and I've enjoyed using them but unless I can get a good deal, I'll likely buy either GFT or Harris.

46 489
 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
I had a friend who worked at Neiman Marcus who sold AoS creams, back then they were the same cream as eShave except twice the price due to the  'packaging'.  He said that was according to the AoS rep who joked 'it's the packaging stupid'.  When I applied for a job at AoS last year I asked that question, the Manager claimed eShave is a superior product as they found another supplier for Aos that provides a larger profit margin.  She also noted the creams are being dumped at Sam's club.  To say the least I have not tried AoS since they first opened in NYC nor did I get a job (the Manager claimed they only hire men with beards who have electric shaved, no wet shavers wanted).

2 479
 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I've found AOS creams (and soaps) to be excellent performers and I think they are highly regarded, from what I've seen. The knock is that they are expensive, but so are many other products. They are still pretty cheap per use.

60 849
 02-13-2015, 11:50 AM
User Info
+1 on the idea that it comes from the stores that causes the distain. And the fact that it is usually pitched with the pre and post shave products, which many folks, me included find unnecessary, not that great, or overpriced.

That said, I received some of the unscented for Christmas, and it is superb. And the container is big, so there is still decent value, probably better than Castle Forbes, and it appears to be every bit as good in performance. I even mixed in some other less well performing, but scented creams and it was still superb, and lifted them up. I won't replace it, but that's only because I prefer soap.

Cheers!

29 257
 02-13-2015, 06:29 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
As a few have already mentioned, I also do not subscribe to the notion of AoS creams being expensive. It requires such little amount of product to produce a perfect shaving lather that it is very cheap per usage (in fact, I find that using "too much" AoS cream is usually anti-productive, as I'll often get better shaves when using "less" AoS cream, ymmv).
Even at full price (and we all know we can get it cheaper with minimal patience and/or searching), I think it's a bargain. My favorite scents in the cream are Unscented, Sandalwood, and Ocean Kelp (the order varies).

62 3,006
 02-13-2015, 07:38 PM
User Info
Love the sandalwood scent. Very stout. Excellent performer. Not the cheapest, but definitely in the discussion when it comes to excellent creams

0 36
 02-13-2015, 08:05 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I don't really get the "no love" thing. As evidenced by this thread, it has it's naysayers, but there is a ton of love on the forums and the wet shaving community in general for AOS creams.
You can find detractors for everything in wet shaving, but it certainly is not disliked to the extent that many other products are. MHO.

2 1,694
 02-14-2015, 10:10 AM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
I received the AOS Sandalwood cream as a gift.  Love the scent and find that it produces very slick lather.  I'm more of a soap guy but can see this staying in the den for those days that I want to use a cream.

7 1,279
 02-14-2015, 10:13 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I prefer soaps as well, but there are a couple of creams I always keep around. I have never used AOS cream, but from everything I've read and heard, if I ever did it would probably be added to that group.

2 1,694