02-11-2015, 06:23 PM
User Info
Just looking at picking up an Omega hi-brush synthetic.   How do these compare to the other good synthetic brushes?  I have the GC and love it.

I have read and seen a couple of reviews interested in thoughts.....

3 117
 02-11-2015, 07:34 PM
User Info
I was always happy with my lather using it. When it came to apply lather, it was very very springy to me. The handle had to be held at an angle to get it to splay or I had to press all the way down to the bottom of the knot. I think that although it was soft at the tips, it irritated my skin do to the lack of natural splay like a Muhle Black Fibre or Plisson.

I would suggest a Muhle Black Fibre or a Plisson as a possible value purchase in the future.

81 1,368
 02-11-2015, 09:29 PM
User Info
Personally, I have never enjoyed any of the Omega synthetics, but for the price, you could just get one to try it out for yourself.  Biggrin

83 21,110
 02-12-2015, 03:41 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
I own both.  The GC brush is my favorite brush overall, but I have no complaints whatsoever about the Omega. As Celestino says, they're cheap enough to just get one.  It helped me learn more about the subtleties of brush characteristics without spending big money.  

11 686
 02-12-2015, 09:39 AM
User Info
I have an Omega Hi-Brush "Barber Pole".  The best thing about it to me is the look.  I found the bristles a bit scritchy and it didn't splay well at all.  Like zaclikestoshave mentioned, I had to take a "sneak attack" approach of taking a slanted angle to get it to splay on the face.

I've also used Muhle 33K256 and Plisson L'Occitane Cade synthetics, and a Plisson Acetate Burgundy is now my daily driver brush.

1 135
 02-12-2015, 06:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-12-2015, 09:39 AM)kansaskyle Wrote: I have an Omega Hi-Brush "Barber Pole".  The best thing about it to me is the look.  I found the bristles a bit scritchy and it didn't splay well at all.  Like zaclikestoshave mentioned, I had to take a "sneak attack" approach of taking a slanted angle to get it to splay on the face.

I own the same brush and feel essentially as you do, except to me the tips are quite soft. The lack of splay is annoying. Great look though!

7 2,357
 02-13-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
(02-12-2015, 06:08 PM)chazt Wrote: I own the same brush and feel essentially as you do, except to me the tips are quite soft. The lack of splay is annoying. Great look though!

I thought the tips were generally soft, but at times felt a bit scritchy. That is probably when I was trying to get them to splay and was putting more pressure on the brush.

Definitely a great look though if you are into taking SOTD pics or just like how it looks on the counter! The look is what sold me more than anything else when I bought it.

1 135
 02-13-2015, 01:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(02-13-2015, 08:08 AM)kansaskyle Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 06:08 PM)chazt Wrote: I own the same brush and feel essentially as you do, except to me the tips are quite soft. The lack of splay is annoying. Great look though!

I thought the tips were generally soft, but at times felt a bit scritchy.  That is probably when I was trying to get them to splay and was putting more pressure on the brush.  

Definitely a great look though if you are into taking SOTD pics or just like how it looks on the counter!  The look is what sold me more than anything else when I bought it.

Kyle, I agree completely - it was the look that hooked me more than anything else. I've used it maybe 8 or 9 times in the last five weeks, and haven't developed any real bond with it - there are five other brushes in my humble den that I enjoy more. For me, it seems to work better with creams instead of soaps - YMMV... It will go on trips and vacations, so I don't have to pack a stand or come home with a damp brush - who wants to take a chance with mold, right?

7 2,357