06-06-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
Still I'm on the go, so still reviewing a few of the things in my GoBag...

Bottom line up front? The Body Shop brush is a perfectly acceptable brush.

The one in my GoBag is my second one, after wearing out the first - and I got my third BS brush in my nook at home, as part of my rotation. I bought the brush in my GoBag before I got into DE shaving - canned goo was never for me, so only a couple of weeks after I started shaving frequently I bought my first brush and shave cream from Body Shop. Even with my on-and-off shaving, beard growing and experiments with electrics the brush was worn out after fifteen years... so a replacement was needed. Less than a year later I started DE shaving and realised there were better brushes by far out there... anyhow, back to the brush in question:
[Image: 31413m_l.jpg]
The brush itself is simple; a turned wooden handle, a knot of white man-made fibre dyed dark on the tips (probably to imitate badger) and... well, that's all really. The first one I had had an all white knot, and was much less soft than the current model. The current model is far from badger soft through, or even as soft as a broken in boar. If anything it's closer to unbroken horse, so if you want a soft touch this may not be the best choice of brush.

It's not a big brush - about the same size as my Turkish No6 - and the balance is towards the handle. It's not particularly dense either, but if it had been denser the knot would probably been way to stiff. Speaking of the knot; it don't really retain much water either - but then again from what I gathered only the most costly of synthetic brushes do. This can be a problem if you like to lather directly on your face, but with a bit of dipping and some pumping it can still deliver a wonderful lather in copious quantities.

What I can say with certainty is that the quality of the brush has been improved - the pair I has gotten over the last three years or so is heads and shoulders above the one I got back in '92 or thereabouts, before I went to boot camp. The old one would shed a hair, or two or three, each time I used it - the now ones does not. The old handle had a very thin coat of varnish, the newer ones have a thicker, more durable layer.

Overall I would rate the brush as a good starter brush, even if it's more expensive than my favoured Turkish horses, and a good travel brush considering it dries in less time than it takes me to drink a cup of coffee.

3 3,558
 06-10-2012, 12:26 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its not a bad brush for 12 bucks.
Thanks for the review!

86 7,123
 06-10-2012, 02:33 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I have one of these brushes in 2 pieces right now. I was lathering away one morning and the knot just fell out. I'm gun-shy with them even for $12. For about $3 more I can get another excellent Frank Shaving Synthetic.

116 3,804
 06-10-2012, 04:01 AM
User Info
(06-06-2012, 12:30 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Still I'm on the go, so still reviewing a few of the things in my GoBag...

Bottom line up front? The Body Shop brush is a perfectly acceptable brush.

The one in my GoBag is my second one, after wearing out the first - and I got my third BS brush in my nook at home, as part of my rotation. I bought the brush in my GoBag before I got into DE shaving - canned goo was never for me, so only a couple of weeks after I started shaving frequently I bought my first brush and shave cream from Body Shop. Even with my on-and-off shaving, beard growing and experiments with electrics the brush was worn out after fifteen years... so a replacement was needed. Less than a year later I started DE shaving and realised there were better brushes by far out there... anyhow, back to the brush in question:
[Image: 31413m_l.jpg]
The brush itself is simple; a turned wooden handle, a knot of white man-made fibre dyed dark on the tips (probably to imitate badger) and... well, that's all really. The first one I had had an all white knot, and was much less soft than the current model. The current model is far from badger soft through, or even as soft as a broken in boar. If anything it's closer to unbroken horse, so if you want a soft touch this may not be the best choice of brush.

It's not a big brush - about the same size as my Turkish No6 - and the balance is towards the handle. It's not particularly dense either, but if it had been denser the knot would probably been way to stiff. Speaking of the knot; it don't really retain much water either - but then again from what I gathered only the most costly of synthetic brushes do. This can be a problem if you like to lather directly on your face, but with a bit of dipping and some pumping it can still deliver a wonderful lather in copious quantities.

What I can say with certainty is that the quality of the brush has been improved - the pair I has gotten over the last three years or so is heads and shoulders above the one I got back in '92 or thereabouts, before I went to boot camp. The old one would shed a hair, or two or three, each time I used it - the now ones does not. The old handle had a very thin coat of varnish, the newer ones have a thicker, more durable layer.

Overall I would rate the brush as a good starter brush, even if it's more expensive than my favoured Turkish horses, and a good travel brush considering it dries in less time than it takes me to drink a cup of coffee.

Sounds very similar to the Parker Synthetic that I had in terms of the knot.

As to inexpensive synthetics not retaining water, the H.I.S. at $33 shipped does a very good job of holding water. It is the only one that does, however. Then it steps up to the more expensive Muhle line which has the same level of water retention.

Excellent review! Thank you!

1 2,827
 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
The synthetics that retain water, do they also dry fast?

32 6,308
 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The synthetics that retain water, do they also dry fast?

Yes. Much faster than natural hairs. Even with the largest brushes, it is anywhere from 50% to 75% faster.

1 2,827
 06-10-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
(06-10-2012, 06:35 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The synthetics that retain water, do they also dry fast?

Brian, my Black Fibre brush is dry within 3-4 hours after use. Granted I swipe all my brushes against a towel a few times before putting them to bed. That's why these are great for travel & daily workman like use.

31 7,912
 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM
  • syngent
  • Oshawa, Canada
User Info
i still have one of these around, take it on travels cause it can take some punishment and im not worried about it,... the tips are soft just has a tonne of backbone to it,... never had the knot fall out but the coating on the wood wears away very fast at feels cheap but works for what it does,... not a bad brush but i wouldnt want it to be my only brush

3 748
 06-11-2012, 10:04 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I honestly wouldn't take another one of these if they gave it to me. For around the same price you can get a great Synthetic in a Frank Shaving Synthetic. I've had the FS Synthetic longer and never had an issue with it. For $13 plus shipping, it's the best affordable Synthetic there is.

116 3,804
 08-08-2012, 04:17 AM
User Info
Unfortunately, this one is the worst brush I have ever tried. I am a face latherer, maybe this is the reason, but I have hard time in making lather and transfering lather to my face.

This brush has soft tips, dries almost instantly, and is a nice looking one, but the backbone is way too much for even a 2-band lover like myself. You must apply pressure to use the brush, and this is not something I would prefer.

I would not recommend it for any face-latherer. Buying a nice boar for the same price makes more sense IMHO.

4 365
 08-08-2012, 04:45 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Sounds like a good brush and very inexpensive. Probably would be good as a travel brush. Not too big, works well and fast drying.

100 12,438
 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM
User Info
Just purchased one of these, as I was at the mall yesterday and they had it for 8 bucks. Didn't want to pass it up; it'll do good in the collection.

1 1,975
 09-17-2014, 03:06 PM
  • NunoFC
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
I see these all the time at the mall, next time I should give it a try

5 116
 09-17-2014, 05:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I wonder if the fibre have been changed on these brushes.

86 7,123
 09-18-2014, 01:26 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Bought one a year or so ago and it almost put me off synthetics totally. Hated it so much I gave it to the boss. I now have 4 other synthetics that I enjoy the heck out off.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-18-2014, 01:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the review Hans!

91 17,811
 09-18-2014, 01:51 AM
User Info
Funny to see this old thread resurface... haven't used this brush in a while, perhaps I should take it out for a spin again Tongue ?

3 3,558
 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM
  • antfos
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Melbourne, Australia
User Info
For anyone who might be interested,

I got the vernier out last night and measured my BS Synthetic with the following results;

O/A  - 108mm
Handle - 36mm dia x 55mm long
Loft - 53mm
Knot - 22.5mm

I can't compare to anything as yet as I am sadly only new to wet shaving.

I have used every second day for about 4 months now and it works well for me, can get good face and or bowl lather, again, nothing to compare it to.

I have just purchased and am waiting on a Muhle 39K257 Synthetic Shaving Brush - Ivory Short so atleast then will have something to compare too.

0 4
 04-13-2015, 11:44 AM
User Info
I have that brush,after some tests isn't in my cabinet now
Is in my fathers house,i use it in my vacations there when i have forgot to take my brushes,it's a "last resort" brush
Can not compared with other Synthetics as Pur-Tech,3 band TGN.

0 353