02-12-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
I wish to god I could just do over the last hour of my day at work!

All started at the beginning of last December. A local company came in to do an emergency after hours calibration for us. Took us almost 2 months to get them paid. They were not happy at the delay. I dealt with regularly on the phone and through email trying to calm the waters. Accounting finally paid them this month.

While waiting on that payment they came in and completed another calibration at start of January. They have still yet to be paid and needless to say are even more unhappy. More emails and phone calls I am dealing with.

I get an email today demanding an update. I did not pay attention that accounting was CC'd on the email. I responded back that I am truly sorry for the delay and we are getting it straightened out. That we have a new guy in accounting that filed it wrong and it went to engineering instead of calibration etc. We are getting it corrected and they should see payment tomorrow.

I hit send and as it went I saw accounting was CC'd. To make matters worse we DO have a new guy in accounting. No it was not his fault. I immediately sent accounting an email trying to explain that I was defusing the situation and it was not meant seriously etc. I then called the new guy and personally apologized and explained. Lets just say he was not saying much.

I took a deep breath and went to my boss to explain. He looks at me like i'm a dead man walking and said we will see what happens tomorrow. As I leave I run into a member of HR and went ahead and gave her the run down. She told me not to lose any sleep over it and she will let the head of HR know who happens to not be as laid back. So I guess I now await my fate. Feel like I am getting to worked up but I've seen people let go for less. Typing it makes it seem not as bad but this day and age you never know. One thing in my favor is I have had no reprimands or warnings in the 10 years I have been there.

Sorry for the story. Just got to get it out and try to calm my nerves.

155 3,927
 02-12-2015, 02:52 PM
User Info
Brotha, you owned up to it, and for that you are not wrong. Just pray it off of you and expect this to go down alright. Stressing and worrying will not fix this circumstance. I too have had a similar thing happened. We just learn from it, after manning up to it, and love on our families, as not to become freaked out!

- Bryan

1 1,975
 02-12-2015, 02:58 PM
User Info
Thank you Bryan. Cant help but be worried though. Got a wife and child to take care of and with a number of places around here doing layoffs there is not much in the way of available jobs. Trust me though, I've been praying !

155 3,927
 02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Fingers crossed that the best happens for you, Freddie.

2 5,000
 02-12-2015, 04:01 PM
  • Fab
  • New York, NY
User Info
Sorry to hear that. But on the positive side, you owned it and apologized to everybody. This says a lot about your character. You were actually trying to defuse something that was not even caused by you, so the company should be happy with that and consider you a team player and someone who owns responsibility to see it through.
I would not lose any sleep over it. Good luck and good night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 494
 02-12-2015, 06:56 PM
User Info
(02-12-2015, 04:01 PM)Fab Wrote: Sorry to hear that. But on the positive side, you owned it and apologized to everybody. This says a lot about your character. You were actually trying to defuse something that was not even caused by you, so the company should be happy with  that and consider you a team player and someone who owns responsibility to see it through.
I would not lose any sleep over it. Good luck and good night

These are my thoughts as well. Maybe accounting should start doing their job.

31 1,800
 02-12-2015, 07:06 PM
User Info
Your honesty and openness will take you far. An honest employee will last way longer than a dishonest one. If everything went down how you described, you have nothing to worry about.

21 555
 02-12-2015, 07:24 PM
User Info
Freddie, I don't think your actions merit any reprimand, whatsoever, as you were trying to appease a disgruntled client. 
Life is too short and positive intentions/views are much healthier to maintain than negative ones. 
Good luck!  Smile

93 21,373
 02-12-2015, 08:04 PM
User Info
Thanks gentlemen for the support. I hope HR is of the same frame of mind. Reading your posts has eased the stress a bit and had me looking at things a little different. Hope everyone has a good night and i'll post the outcome tomorrow.

155 3,927
 02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Good luck Freddie. Although it is easier said than done...try to not lose any sleep. All of us have hit send on an email that we wish we could take back including the head of HR. I am betting that he or she can relate.

54 22,195
 02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
User Info
Well its safe to say anything that happens qill be on Monday. Its now 230 in the morn and no sleep. Ibwould have to get up in another 2 hours. My daughter will not sleep for anything and ive been up with her. She is wired. Had to leave message for my boss cablling in. He just hsd jis 16th kid in december so im sure he understands. 

155 3,927
 02-13-2015, 06:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you get in trouble over something like this, go to work for the company that did the calibration.  They need an employee like you.

189 26,354
 02-13-2015, 07:22 AM
User Info
I can see why HR and Accounting would be upset, you lied and put the blame on someone else and did it on record.

But, I'm guessing you won't get into too much trouble or officially reprimanded but would expect to be talked to, hand slapped and warned.

These things happen and I've been through similar. It will blow over and sooner then you think. You immediately owned up and apologized and that goes a LONG way with superiors. I know first hand as I've done or said some things and immediately regretted it and had to get out ahead of the backlash that would sure to come.

You'll be fine.

8 2,718
 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
User Info
Freddie,

I don't see why you are in the middle of this. Shouldn't the calibration team whose wanting to be paid be talking directly to the guys with the check book? 

0 1,007
 02-13-2015, 10:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(02-13-2015, 09:35 AM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Freddie,

I don't see why you are in the middle of this. Shouldn't the calibration team whose wanting to be paid be talking directly to the guys with the check book? 

Those were my thoughts as well.

189 26,354
 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM
User Info
I'm pretty much their contact. I call and request the quote etc. Once received I create the MR (material requisition) which then gets routed to accounting who routes it to my boss who approves and then accounting creates the PO (purchases order) and faxes over. If I don't create the MR then nothing gets done. It was created, just everyone dragged their feet to approve.

Usually if there is an issue I wind up being the one to straighten it out since I am "go to" guy with the vendors I deal with.

155 3,927
 02-13-2015, 11:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Seeing all that, you don't need a reprimand, you need a promotion.

189 26,354
 02-13-2015, 11:54 AM
User Info
(02-13-2015, 11:31 AM)Johnny Wrote: Seeing all that, you don't need a reprimand, you need a promotion.

10-4 on that....  Smile

See we got yo back. Who can I send an e-mail to straighten this all out..... 24

0 1,007
 02-13-2015, 11:57 AM
User Info
(02-13-2015, 11:31 AM)Johnny Wrote: Seeing all that, you don't need a reprimand, you need a promotion.

God I wish. That just scratches the surface of all they got me doing. I was do for my annual review last month but so far nothing. At least once they finally do I will get retro paid! Should make a nice check.

155 3,927
 02-13-2015, 01:49 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
If I was your manager - I'd ignore the whole thing. If I was HR - I might do a sit down (at max) but no more.

18 538