02-13-2015, 12:20 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
UFO Razor Handles...

[Image: KEQqnlt.jpg]

Recently 4 UFO handles embarked on a world tour to visit 4 friends.

They are currently in Australia (their third stop) and will shortly travel to Canada.

Juan kindly orchestrated this PIF and it is with great pleasure that I share some of Rafael's latest fine craftsmanship with our membership.

[Image: k5j1s8a.jpg]

[Image: ifCJK7i.png]

[Image: 3piuRWm.png]

[Image: mfLp4ks.png]

The handles are lighter than Rafael's earlier work and this is a design element that I strongly favour.

While I do enjoy a well balanced razor, I much prefer the weight to be orientated towards the head rather than handle. 

Despite the size range and diversity of materials all four handles are light weight. 

This encourages the razor head (as opposed to the user's hand) to provide the required pressure to shave.

The handles vary not only in material, but also significantly in girth and knurling.

[Image: 7cypuRC.png]

Colibri...

The smallest of the handles is the stainless steel Colibri. 

The Colibri features the finest knurling of the 4 handles.

At 12mm, the Colibri is also the slimmest.

However, at 60 grams it is not the lightest.

[b][i][Image: FJCmVBm.png][/i][/b]

TiTan Fine...

The weight challenge is won, by the TiTan Fine.

This Titanium handle is only 58 grams.

The TiTan is slightly longer than the Colibri and is a much wider 15mm in diameter.

The TiTan Fine and the Colibri are the same knurling.

The TiTan is darker in appearance and features a steely chocolate character.

[Image: 5TNK6ma.png]

Apollo...

The 14mm wide Apollo is stainless steel, just like the Colibri.

With a weight of 88 grams it is the heaviest of the 4 handles.

The knurling is not as fine as the Colibri, but finer than the Goliath (one of Rafael's earlier offerings).

[Image: v00GRQb.png]

Zeus...

Finally, a newer material for Rafael, the Aluminium Zeus.

At 20mm it is the widest.

At 90mm it is the longest.

However, it weighs only 68 grams!

The length and calibre are a perfect pairing.

In any other metal it would be too heavy.

I have been informed that Aluminium provides unique challenges to knurling.

However, IMO, it's far more challenging to attempt to fault Rafael's ability with this material.

The metal has a captivating brightness about it, that out shines the other 3 handles.

[Image: HrcRdpG.png]

So, which is my favourite?

Well, its a tough choice.

The Colibri and Aluminium Zeus are the 2 that stand out to me.

I tend to favour SE razors over DE. 

The SE heads are generally larger so a larger handle compliments them.

Therefore the colossal, yet light weight Aluminium Zeus is my handle de jour!

[Image: sxqHN4k.png]

99 18,011
 02-13-2015, 12:44 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
Ben, loved reading your synopsis accompanied with such beautiful pictures. I have tried the Zeus in SS and have to agree - too heavy to be practical.

Thank You.

83 560
 02-13-2015, 02:17 AM
User Info
as always, brilliant photos!

7 1,624
 02-13-2015, 03:20 AM
User Info
Beautiful !!

61 3,072
 02-13-2015, 04:13 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Wonderful photographs and write up Ben.

59 4,492
 02-13-2015, 06:24 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Beautifully crafted pieces, wonderful photography... what a treat to try these offerings from the master himself. I wouldn't have guessed the Zeus would be the most comfortable but can see it as possible being so light. Love seeing the your macro photography highlighting the detailed finish Rafael is able to apply to his handles.

lovely handles, even better share.. way to start my morning! I bet the hardest part is being ready to send it off again!

35 1,329
 02-13-2015, 07:04 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Great post, Ben. Thanks.

Rafael's work is more art than craftsmanship without doubt.

60 1,599
 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Lovely assortment of UFO handles .. hopefully this is a prelude to more regular production soon .. Smile

102 18,650
 02-13-2015, 08:41 AM
User Info
These handles are nice! Thanks for the post, Ben

1 1,975
 02-13-2015, 09:32 AM
User Info
I recently acquired a Titan Fine L handle from Rafael. What an amazing piece of artwork, and what a great razor handle!

The L version is about 90 mm long, with a girth of 14 or 15 mm (can't remember which), and it is considerably lighter than my custom Kaiser, which is stainless steel.

Yes, it is darker in appearance. The other thing that's interesting is that the knurling is finer than that of the Kaiser, which gives it a totally different feel in the hand.

This morning I mated it to a Canadian "1932" pre-war Tech with triangular holes, and it was wonderful. I love my UFO handles.

Thanks for sharing those gorgeous pictures.

2 1,455
 02-13-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
Very Nice.  If anyone can give me info what the way is to acquire such a nice large, yet light and beautifully knurled.. handle-
let me know. Lots of razors and why not buy a special handle for them!  Smile

Philipp

21 1,175
 02-13-2015, 04:54 PM
User Info
Beautiful, my friend! What a world tour this four lovely handles are on!  Biggrin

83 21,077
 02-13-2015, 05:09 PM
User Info
Beautiful handles and wonderful photos

18 468
 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM
User Info
You're photos do a great job at showcasing Rafael's craftsmanship. They also made me run to the bathroom just to hold and appreciate my Colibri  Biggrin

I have to admit that I am a bit envious of the lucky fellows around the globe who get the great opportunity of being on this world tour. 

2 89
 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM
User Info
Ben,

Great pix and details.

Rafa is quite the craftsman.
I will always enjoy my custom that he made for me.

[Image: 0pvZacL.jpg]

2 150
 02-15-2015, 04:36 PM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
WOW! Very Nice.

Anthony

0 35
 01-13-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
Rafael makes the most amazing handles. I was lucky enough to get one of the original Colibri handles when they first went on sale almost 2 years ago. I fell in love with it and was sure to pass on my admiration to the artist himself. In the email I happened to mention to him that I was getting married in July '15 and said it would be cool to have a new UFO to shave with on my wedding day. I said this to him mostly tongue in cheek not thinking it would ever come to pass. Well to my surprise Rafael said that he'd love to make me a handle! After some time thinking what I'd like, I came up with a concept. I asked for a Colibri with reverse knurling made from Super Duplex Stainless Steel. The finished product exceeded my sky high expectations. Here's a pic of it attached to a NEW Deluxe.
[Image: 91041407440c0e9b565a161570a59d97.jpg]

As for my other Colibri, Rafael had mentioned in an email once that we are not really the owners of these handles, just stewards of them for a time. He said that his hope wasn't that any of his creations would be stuck in a drawer and if the current steward wasn't using it anymore to send it off into the world to someone new. So this is what I did. I released the little hummingbird out into the wild to someone new that I hope is getting as much enjoyment out of it as I did. I'm more than happy using my wedding day custom each day for the rest of my shaving life.

If you happen to read this Rafael, thank you again for the joy that your creation brings me each morning.

2 89
 01-13-2016, 06:24 PM
User Info
Oh and here is a pic of the Colibri Super Duplex on top of the original Colibri.

[Image: ca36531624f2b7138820fb407314cbd2.jpg]

2 89
 01-13-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info
Beautiful handles! Your a lucky man!

147 3,536
 01-13-2016, 06:36 PM
User Info
(01-13-2016, 06:25 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Beautiful handles! Your a lucky man!

In more ways than one

Thank you.

2 89