02-13-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
I'm still pretty new to the many refinements of wet shaving, and compared to many of you, my brush collection is modest. I quickly took to face lathering, and I enjoy my scrubby Semogue 620 as well as the softness and quick-lathering delights of the L'Occitane Plisson. I have an EJ XL synth that I haven't quite decided on yet. But I do know I've very much enjoyed my first splurge brush purchase: a Shavemac 177 silvertip. I bought it as a first foray into fine badger brushes, and it hasn't disappointed.

But now I'm feeling the itch for another high-end badger. Softness is great, though I don't think I mind a little scritch. I do want to avoid floppiness; the Shavemac is satisfyingly dense enough not to just mop around, which is great. I'd also appreciate a bit of flow-through as opposed to lather hogging, though I can't say I really have a lot of experience with these qualities.

Based on various glowing reviews, I'm considering a Duke or Chubby from Simpsons, or a Thater (maybe the 4125).

Can anyone comment on how these might differ, and what would be a great next badger for this face lathering fool?

0 53
 02-13-2015, 10:48 AM
User Info
the duke is a great workhorse brush.  even in best it works great.  many people say it doesn't need super hair at all.  a thader is a wonderful soft caressing brush with very little scratch.  if you want to split the difference and face lather I would humble suggest a Manchurian hair brush.  there are all brands and prices now.  I enjoy the artisan romera ones.  another great brush is the new 2 band silvertip from shavemac great flow great brush.

73 1,297
 02-13-2015, 11:17 AM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
IMO Simpsons is a great brush and although I have not tried a Duke for years I have read great things about them.  I own a Chubby but I would recommend the Duke first, in a few years with a little more experience you will be able to fullly enjoy the Chubby, till then try a Duke.  I have not had a Thater to be honest.  Everyone always told me Simpsons is the finest so I switched from ShaveMac and have never looked back.  Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

2 479
 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
I am not the guy you would ask about badger brushes. However, if somebody who has the experience with several brushes can comment on these, I´d consider Romera brushes by Gustavo Romera
I have a few on order, and they are certainly good value. Another brush, again I am not thE expert, is the Savile Row. Given you are in the States, I would be buying a Savile Rowe 3326 or the 24mm knot version. A little of Anthony Esposito And Shavebusta Bustamante fanboy-ship is a factor.  Smile

Philipp

21 1,175
 02-13-2015, 11:54 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Thater & Simpson Chubby series are my 2 favorite brushes.  

The Simpson Chubby tends to be a lather hog and is not quite as soft as the Thater.  But nothing lathers hard soaps better than a Simpson brush. If you use hard soaps more than anything else, the Simpson is the way to go.

Thater is softer, has a nicer "face feel" and has better flow through.  It doesn't quite have the backbone of the Simpson, but it has plenty.

If you already own a dense shavemac I recommend you consider the Thater 4125/2 (26mm) or 4125/3 (28mm) in 2 band silvertip bulb.  The 4125/3 is my "go to" brush for all creams & soaps.

168 1,387
 02-13-2015, 02:49 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
The Vie long silvertip has great backbone and a little scritch. Tips are similar to simpson in best. 

7 451
 02-13-2015, 02:59 PM
User Info
Quick question on the Thaters: what's the difference in the different main model numbers? Is it just the style of handle? In other words, would the 49125 be the same as a 4125 but with the clear acrylic handle?

0 53
 02-13-2015, 03:07 PM
User Info
   I recently got a New Forest Tubby #1 2 band. Very stiff on arrival, but after being used, it has bloomed very nicely. Nice soft tips and nice amount of backbone. Face lathers very nicely and not a real lather hog. I think for the price, it's a real nice brush.

2 226
 02-13-2015, 03:25 PM
User Info
Sorry, just wrote an in depth reply, and then all it did was reproduce your entire original post. I simply don't want to write it all over again. There is an error on this new website design........and it's kind of frustrating

24 5,971
 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM
User Info
I will admit to debating buying a duke 2 or a classic 2 because of how often I read of how soft the newer best hair is. I have an older colonel and while it is soft and lacking in scritch it's not exactly my preference regarding softness. I really enjoy silvertip soft tips like your Shavemac and have found that TGN finest, Morris and Forndran finest, and older rooney Silvertip able to deliver that personally. 

I was lucky enough to see the heritage two band Rooney stubby on BST here and am awaiting it's arrival. I'm waiting to see a 4125/1 two band fan on BST eventually. I'm patient. 

There isn't much to avoid really. 

4 146
 02-14-2015, 03:46 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I find the Simpson Chubby series just too dense and having too much backbone for my liking.  On the other hand, I find the Duke series with best badger excellent.  I have a Thater 3-band and it's one of my favourite brushes: soft yet with a good amount of backbone, not too dense and good flow through.  You might also consider the shavemac finest badger; I have a Beehive, which is very satisfying.  New Forest also makes excellent brushes and they're excellent value.  I have a Tubby2 and a 2213 in finest.  These two brushes can't be beat in terms of price, quality and performance.  You should note that I lather on my face exclusively.

7 909
 02-14-2015, 04:02 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(02-13-2015, 02:59 PM)onethinline Wrote: Quick question on the Thaters: what's the difference in the different main model numbers? Is it just the style of handle? In other words, would the 49125 be the same as a 4125 but with the clear acrylic handle?

Yes...the 49125 is simply a 4125 with Plexiglass handle. But note that the 49125 does not come in 2 band unless ordered directly from Thater. 

The 4125/49125 is a denser knot that the 4292 series. 

I own 4125 2 bands and a 49125 3 band. They are a fantastic combo. 

168 1,387
 02-14-2015, 07:13 AM
User Info
Thanks for all the advice, guys. At the moment I'm eying a Thäter 4125/1 two band, as well as keeping a Simpson Duke in best in the back of my mind. I think the /1 Thäter size would make sense for me as a face latherer; not sure whether I'd really need to go up to the /2 size. Sounds like the /1 will already be a bit bigger than my Shavemac 177 (which is 23mm), and the Shavemac size is just fine for me.

Of course I could also get another Shavemac, perhaps one of their two-band versions? First thought was to have some brand variety, but maybe that's not the best reason.  Blush

0 53
 02-20-2015, 11:38 AM
User Info
Inexpensive - Franks;  moderate - Whipped Dog  those are my favorite of the 8 Badgers I own.  IMHO, nicer than a couple that cost over 2x as much.

8 72