02-13-2015, 02:17 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
O.K., this thread is about combinations, not about individual products per se.

Tell us about the "best" shave that you ever attained with a DE razor -- the singular best, not the generic BBS; in fact "BBS" probably should not come up in this thread, because the best shave that you ever attained may not measure up to another person's supposedly objective standard of what a BBS really is, and there are different strokes for different folks.  Also, a comment of the nature of, "any shave with MdC," is not really responsive, and belongs in the Soaps & Creams subforum; likewise, a comment about how a particular razor makes any blade or any soap better belongs in the Safety Razors->DE Razors subforum, rather than in this "combinations" thread.  For now, let us keep the contributions within the DE world; perhaps we can start separate threads for SE, Straights, and Cartridge razors, but let's start with DE only.  

So -- recalling that "best" shave when, as you rinsed off, the angels were singing, and they all were in tune -- please tell us:

1. What soap or cream, if any, you were using that day;
  2. What blade was in your DE razor at the time; and
  3. What brand and model razor you had the blade mounted in; and
  4. Any other detail (special pre-shave prep, that you were shaving for your wedding, or anything else) that made that one shave your "best" shave ever or that gave you pause to wonder why that shave "accidentally" turned out that well.
To start the thread off, here is my list:  
  1. Soap:  Provence Santé Green Tea;
  2. Blade:  KAI Stainless;
  3. Razor:  iKon DLC Slant on a Maggard MR5 handle.
  4. The Provence Santé was surprising:  it has the best scent of any shave soap (IMHO), and always has been very good to me, nut I never ranked it as having exalted superstar status.  The KAI was no surprise at all:  KAIs have consistently outperformed the only two other blades I have substantial experience with, Wizamet Iridium Supers and Gillette Silver Blues.  The iKon DLC Slant is one of only two DE razors that I have ever used, and was the more recent acquisition.  Considering the price I paid for it, I hoped and expected that it would outperform the solid bar razor that I hoped that it would supplant, but I had been using the DLC Slant for only a couple of weeks at that time, and I had been expecting to go through a longer learning curve of slant technique before I would start to get exceptional results.  The pre-shave prep was my ordinary everyday routine, nothing different.

1 1,089
 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Mel, how's your hand/finger after that bloody incident?

To answer your question, I tend to get my best shaves on Monday mornings. I change my blade for Saturday's shave and take Sunday as a day off to give my skin a once-a-week recuperation time. This past Monday I used a UK Tech head (circa mid-sixties) with an iKon bulldog handle, Crystal blade and MWF with my Semogue 1470. Followed it up with an icy cold water rinse, a drop of B&M Latha AS splash combined with a smidge of EJ sandalwood AS balm. It was an iconic shave! I'm still giddy over it, and it's Friday afternoon. Mind you, I've shaved four times since and that Monday shave stands out in its greatness.

p.s. I forgot to mention, it was 2 passes with touch-ups.

7 2,151
 02-13-2015, 03:46 PM
User Info
I have had quite a few great shaves with different combinations and one isn't highlighted more than any others, really. Nonetheless, I usually get my best shaves with this combination:

* Weber DLC + UFO Handles
* Super Iridium
* Any of my badger brushes + face-lathering
* Mystic Water soap (used as a shave-stick)
* Unrefined Shea Butter

I usually perform three passes with touch-ups. 

83 21,077
 02-13-2015, 04:09 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(02-13-2015, 02:40 PM)chazt Wrote: Mel, how's your hand/finger after that bloody incident?

Thanks for the memories.   Smile   I have no scars, no visible physical injury, but mentally you can bet that I am now very conscious of where my left hand is when with my right hand I lift the razor off my face and move it down to the sink.  Shok

1 1,089
 02-13-2015, 07:22 PM
User Info
Soap: Shannon's Bay Spice
Blade: Gillette Platinum Blue
Razor: Gillette Super Speed

Prep was as usual - wash with tea tree & clay facial soap and warm water, leaving my face wet. The soap mixed up just right, and I think I really started appreciating bay rum-type scents. The blade was the real surprise. As I posted later that day, it felt like there wasn't even a blade in the razor... Close, smooth... Fantastic... Awesome...

0 1,071
 02-14-2015, 12:02 AM
User Info
All I remember of the shave was that it was the very first shave with the Muhle '11 R41. I don't remember what soap, blade, or anything else, but it was love at first use.

32 6,459
 02-14-2015, 04:37 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(02-14-2015, 12:02 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: All I remember of the shave was that it was the very first shave with the Muhle '11 R41. I don't remember what soap, blade, or anything else, but it was love at first use.

Wasn't there a 1979 motion picture about your experience:  (this one)?     Tongue

1 1,089