02-13-2015, 03:24 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I face lather and have been eyeing Rooney Brushes as of late, and have noticed that only a couple retailers carry any sort of Rooney Brushes, Fendrihan and Vintage Blades come immediately to mind.  Does anyone have any experience in the newer batches of Rooney's being sold?  I'm looking at a Style 2 Size 1 in Super Silvertip in faux ebony, and want some feedback before I grab one for myself. 

How do they compare to Simpson's best hair?  That seems to be my preferred bristle type right now, but I've always wanted a Rooney...

Thanks in advance!

Matt

71 1,469
 02-13-2015, 03:29 PM
User Info
New Ronney's ??

I own 3 of the old Rooney's - did not know there was such a thing as new Rooneys Silvertips  Huh

Hair is natural and there will always be new stock of hairs, but new Silvertips  Huh

24 5,858
 02-13-2015, 03:33 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(02-13-2015, 03:29 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: New Ronney's ??

I own 3 of the old Rooney's - did not know there was such a thing as new Rooneys Silvertips  Huh

Hair is natural and there will always be new stock of hairs, but new Silvertips  Huh

Claus,  Maybe my wording is wrong - Rooney went away for a long while 
and then I see the Vintage Blades has them again with a new logo on them 
so I assumed they are new brushes.  Maybe a better question is: Has anyone 
recently purchased a Rooney brush and if yes, what are your thoughts on them?

71 1,469
 02-13-2015, 04:10 PM
User Info
Matt, I am not sure if those are new Rooney brushes as opposed to old stock ones. I haven't seen or heard of any new Rooney brushes being released. 
As for the hair, the 3-Band variants that I have had were very nice and similar to Simpsons Super hair, Shavemac's D-01 3-Band and M&F 3-Band. There could be discrepancies between the four depending on the size of the knot, but if you consider equally proportioned knots, they would be very similar, in my opinion. Good luck. 

82 21,056
 02-13-2015, 04:18 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Sounds good!  I think I'll give one a go and see for myself.

Guess I just needed a little push!

Angel

71 1,469
 02-13-2015, 04:21 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I bought an Emilion 2 from Fendrihan a few months ago and it is sublime Biggrin

34 1,628
 02-13-2015, 04:25 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I have a Stubby 1 from Fendrihan. It has a wonderful fan shape and is super soft with adequate back bone. Unfortunately this one is a shedder. I don't think that would stop me from getting a second if the timing and opportunity were right. 

28 1,620
 02-13-2015, 05:05 PM
User Info
I'm really happy with the Emilion 1 I got from Fendrihan, soft tips and wonderful for face lathering.

16 457
 02-13-2015, 06:18 PM
User Info
I have some experience with modern Rooney Silvertips from Vintage Blades. I have a 3/1 Tortoise that is from a 2012/2013 batch and is wonderfully soft with some typical Rooney scrub. This was my first Rooney and got me hooked on the brand. 
VB received a new batch of Silvertips in August 2014 and I got a 1/2 from that batch. It is a nice soft brush but not as soft as the earlier batch. I can observe flat tips on a lot of the hair which I imagine contributes additional scrub and less softness. I still like using it because I like the scrub, but if you want a softer brush, ask Jim for one from the older batch.  

Classic Shaving also has a new batch of Rooney Silvertips but I have not tried one yet. 

I tried getting a Stubby 2 Heritage 3-band last year from Fendrihan and MenEssentials and ended up with 3 shedders in a row. The hair was very nice and soft with some scrub, similar to the 3/1 Tortoise. Too bad I couldn't find one without shedding issues because I really liked the brush. If you can get one without issues, you'll have a very nice brush.  

[Image: EREMHEd.jpg]

38 1,159
 02-13-2015, 08:02 PM
User Info
Simpsons best is softer than the newer Rooney silvertip. I brought this up with a retailer this week who claimed they were just made aware of the difference and upon checking their brushes verified the hair is more what shevek described.

I think it's disgraceful on Rooney's part personally. The retailer handled my complaint well but this hair is subpar for the price in the new Rooney silvertips. 

4 146
 02-14-2015, 03:10 AM
User Info
So here's my comparison shot. My initial 1/1 is on the top. Nearly all the tips (at least 98%) terminate naturally and even come to a curl after a minimal amount of use. The second photo is of my more recent 1/2 in which the hairs are much thicker and are squared off at the ends. The result is a very different brush. One thing I like doing is referring to Dood.ca and his macro photo comparison, then his photos of TGN's low end silvertip, then his Older Rooney silvertip review. The drastic change is amazing and it's sad to compare where the new knots are even in regards to their TGN imitations. I feel I'm owed a replacement by Rooney.
[Image: 32QgxMQ.jpg][Image: SXmfMgm.jpg]

4 146
 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM
User Info
I was thinking of purchasing a 3/1 in tortoise but it seems the consensus here is to steer clear? 

115 1,005
 02-14-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 09:06 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: I was thinking of purchasing a 3/1 in tortoise but it seems the consensus here is to steer clear? 

Ask the distributor of the hair would be trimmed. I just recently got the beautiful 1/1 so it is possible to get a nice one.

4 146
 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 09:06 AM)essrbc11 Wrote: I was thinking of purchasing a 3/1 in tortoise but it seems the consensus here is to steer clear? 
The 3/1 Tortoise was a limited run from 2012/2013 and had very soft tips and a slightly higher loft vs the other 3/1s. I have one and like it a lot. If you can get one, there would be no worries about the flat tips of the current batch.

38 1,159
 02-14-2015, 10:42 AM
User Info
Ok that eases my mind, thanks for the replies. I think I'll make the purchase cause I really like the tortoise shell handle

Eric

115 1,005
 02-14-2015, 03:30 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have a Rooney Beehive 2 in Super Silvertip that I bought about a year ago from Fendrihan. I have to say the hair Looks as nice as any silvertip I've ever looked at. The brush makes great lather and does not shed...I also really am a fan of the handle size, shape and ergonomics...The prob is the hair isn't as soft as my Simpson best brushes. The Rooney is the least soft of any Super, best, Silvertip or DO1 brush that I own. It just has a little prickle that makes me only want to use it when I actually have some solid growth...it's just not pampering when using against one or two days of growth...YMMV and of course all batches differ, but I'm not looking for anymore NEW Rooney brushes unless they're NOS or they come out with some noted change in their hair offerings.

4 794
 02-14-2015, 06:49 PM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 03:30 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I have a Rooney Beehive 2 in Super Silvertip that I bought about a year ago from Fendrihan. I have to say the hair Looks as nice as any silvertip I've ever looked at. The brush makes great lather and does not shed...I also really am a fan of the handle size, shape and ergonomics...The prob is the hair isn't as soft as my Simpson best brushes. The Rooney is the least soft of any Super, best, Silvertip or DO1 brush that I own. It just has a little prickle that makes me only want to use it when I actually have some solid growth...it's just not pampering when using against one or two days of growth...YMMV and of course all batches differ, but I'm not looking for anymore NEW Rooney brushes unless they're NOS or they come out with some noted change in their hair offerings.

I'm not sure if even a NOS Rooney is going to deliver the luxurious 'pampering' experience. So far I've used 9 Rooneys (1 pure, 2 Silvertip, 3 Heritage 3-band, 1 Heritage 2-band, 2 Finest) and all have given varying amounts of feedback in the form of mostly scrub but sometimes a hint of scritch or scatch. Sure there is varying degrees of softness mingled with the other elements (except with the Pure which was ROUGH- ouch!), but the feedback always stands out. I really enjoy these qualities as long as it is mostly just scrub with just a hint of the others. But I've never tried a Rooney that could be mistaken for a Thater or Shavemac Silvertip. Granted, the only 'old' ones I've tried were Finest grade which are known for their scrubbiness. Maybe those that have used Rooney Silvertip or Super grade brushes from years ago can comment on whether they were ultra soft or had the scrubbiness that I'm used to.  

38 1,159
 02-15-2015, 12:59 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 06:49 PM)shevek Wrote:
(02-14-2015, 03:30 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I have a Rooney Beehive 2 in Super Silvertip that I bought about a year ago from Fendrihan. I have to say the hair Looks as nice as any silvertip I've ever looked at. The brush makes great lather and does not shed...I also really am a fan of the handle size, shape and ergonomics...The prob is the hair isn't as soft as my Simpson best brushes. The Rooney is the least soft of any Super, best, Silvertip or DO1 brush that I own. It just has a little prickle that makes me only want to use it when I actually have some solid growth...it's just not pampering when using against one or two days of growth...YMMV and of course all batches differ, but I'm not looking for anymore NEW Rooney brushes unless they're NOS or they come out with some noted change in their hair offerings.

I'm not sure if even a NOS Rooney is going to deliver the luxurious 'pampering' experience. So far I've used 9 Rooneys (1 pure, 2 Silvertip, 3 Heritage 3-band, 1 Heritage 2-band, 2 Finest) and all have given varying amounts of feedback in the form of mostly scrub but sometimes a hint of scritch or scatch. Sure there is varying degrees of softness mingled with the other elements (except with the Pure which was ROUGH- ouch!), but the feedback always stands out. I really enjoy these qualities as long as it is mostly just scrub with just a hint of the others. But I've never tried a Rooney that could be mistaken for a Thater or Shavemac Silvertip. Granted, the only 'old' ones I've tried were Finest grade which are known for their scrubbiness. Maybe those that have used Rooney Silvertip or Super grade brushes from years ago can comment on whether they were ultra soft or had the scrubbiness that I'm used to.  

The Heritage Rooney 2-band super does give you that. Gel soft tips and great backbone

24 5,858
 02-15-2015, 07:15 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Alright... this maybe a longer story.

I have had about a dozen Rooneys over time and, if you add their T&H and M&F cousins, then it may well two dozen of "Rooney" brushes.

My experience has been as follows: the best Rooney 3 Bands ever manufactured - for me - are the original Heritage versions (2008-2010 or so). Those brushes featured very soft tipped fine hair that, however, was packed very densely into the knot creating a wonderful scrubby face feel without any scritch. I am glad to own three from that time and they are pictured below (2 Alibabas and 1 Emillion). I am still looking for a Stubby 2 - in case you want to part with one...  Biggrin

[Image: UAWYWUz.jpg]

Of course there has bee also the famed "gel tipped" 2 Band in the Heritage versions (pictured below in three brushes I did own). But back to the 3 Band.

[Image: W9gTZoM.jpg]

Regarding facefeel - next to the original Heritage 3 Band - the Super/Silvertip that was sold under the T&H label as recent as last year (not sure about the current ones as they have changed) has been fabulous in terms of density and softness with only smaller batch to batch variations. 

[Image: lgRNnuN.jpg]

The least comfortable 3 Band I ever experienced from Rooney were the versions sold under the Rooney label (through VB, Classic). Those brushes seemed to me more abrasive and I sold them quickly.

In other words, if softness is what you seek in a 3 Band I recommend to pick up an older Rooney from BST (either Heritage - the best for me -, or a T&H from the last few years). Or easier to attain: a shavemac or Thäter Silvertip, nothing beats them in the softness department.

35 1,809
 02-15-2015, 07:20 AM
User Info
(02-15-2015, 07:15 AM)German Wrote: Alright... this maybe a longer story.

I have had about a dozen Rooneys over time and, if you add their T&H and M&F cousins, then it may well two dozen of "Rooney" brushes.

My experience has been as follows: the best Rooney 3 Bands ever manufactured - for me - are the original Heritage versions (2008-2010 or so). Those brushes featured very soft tipped fine hair that, however, was packed very densely into the knot creating a wonderful scrubby face feel without any scritch. I am glad to own three from that time and they are pictured below (2 Alibabas and 1 Emillion). I am still looking for a Stubby 2 - in case you want to part with one...  Biggrin

[Image: UAWYWUz.jpg]

Of course there has bee also the famed "gel tipped" 2 Band in the Heritage versions (pictured below in three brushes I did own). But back to the 3 Band.

[Image: W9gTZoM.jpg]

Regarding facefeel - next to the original Heritage 3 Band - the Super/Silvertip that was sold under the T&H label as recent as last year (not sure about the current ones as they have changed) has been fabulous in terms of density and softness with only smaller batch to batch variations. 

[Image: lgRNnuN.jpg]

The least comfortable 3 Band I ever experienced from Rooney were the versions sold under the Rooney label (through VB, Classic). Those brushes seemed to me more abrasive and I sold them quickly.

In other words, if softness is what you seek in a 3 Band I recommend to pick up an older Rooney from BST (either Heritage - the best for me -, or a T&H from the last few years). Or easier to attain: a shavemac or Thäter Silvertip, nothing beats them in the softness department.

Wow German great collection, I absolutely love those original heritage brushes especially the alibaba. I have the three band tortoise shell coming which I got a good deal on so we will see. If it doesn't live up I'm at the mercy of bst, hopefully something nice will come up soon. Thanks for all the help guys.

Eric

115 1,005