02-13-2015, 09:42 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Today, going for a song, along with a dilapidated case, blade case in black card, and quite a few old razors all for just over $11 US Smile a Gillette Old Type, Single Ring, silver plated (pictures show the polished result) with date code visible on top of base plate: 449842. 

The lower handle ring is stamped: CAN PAT MAR 7 05 then "GILLETTE". No crack in barrel. Nice.

Following the known Gillette dates stamps and the stamps on this razor, though, nothing quite adds up, date-wise:

http://www.razorarchive.com/gillette-date-codes

I am thinking 1906 (Update: Brian informs me the diamond trademark for Gillette came in earliest 1908 Smile  )

The whole thing wouldn't screw together, so I gently ground the lower end of the barrel on a very fine whetstone, and fixed it as good as new. Now holds together strongly Smile

Enjoy the pictures:

[Image: pEQsGbc.jpg]
[Image: CQvHoSr.jpg]

[Image: Qw55twe.jpg]
[Image: ghmQV8l.jpg]

0 1,846
 02-13-2015, 10:04 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
The assembled result, but can't testify to the match of the razor/case (looks like a 1917 standard case), the blade cases from another set? I had a spare blade case, but they closely matched, though not exactly:

[Image: y1tvZ9t.jpg]

0 1,846
 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM
User Info
Very nice clean shiny razor Shaun  Cheers the Silver plated Single Rings always seem to shine up well.

The Canadian made razors followed a different date code system from the US made ones.

The diamond Gillette logo didn't come in until around 1908.

0 875
 02-14-2015, 03:26 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Ah, I hadn't realised that, Brian, thanks. 1908 then Smile I realised the Canadian numbering system was different, and also that the case above is not a match to the razor itself. Either way, the razor's early, the earliest possible date 1908 but it might be later of course. One day, someone will understand the Canadian Gillette series numbering system better than what is currently known.Then I'll know for sure.

0 1,846