02-14-2015, 09:25 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have a vintage Gillette that can really use a re-plate. It is a 1922 Big Boy (or big Fellow) with a New Improved head. It was originally gold plated, but most of the original plating wore off. It is solid brass on all parts and is an amazing razor for me. In fact, I've been using it exclusively for almost a year now and it's become like a pair of old comfy slippers. I can shave with it in a dark, I think. In any case, I am looking for a good quality nickel plating on this razor. The gold look is great, but nickel always appealed to me more than other plating options. I do not like chrome so much, gold is nice, but too soft and wears out easily. Rhodium is expensive, though I may consider it. Nickel seems the most cost effective and nice looking options. there used to be vendors that did this, but lately I have not seen much activity.

If anyone around does this or knows of someone who does, let me know.

Thank in advance!

26 1,758
 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I think above the tie offers replating

118 1,708
 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM
User Info
I plated my own Gillette New.  It was pretty easy, and the kit was something like $40.  The tech support guy said it would plate over gold without an issue.  I bought the kit for use on my vintage motorcycle, so I had it lying around anyway.  It's not for everyone, but it might be an option to consider, particularly if you have other uses for it.

0 1,098
 02-14-2015, 03:09 PM
User Info
Heard awesome reviews about chris at Razorplate!!

http://www.razorplate.com/?m=0

3 218
 02-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen. Looks like Chris at Razorplate is really good. I will contact him. Now I need to figure out what to shave with for 5 weeks while my Big Boy is away... Anyone out there with a New Improved Gillette wishing to sell, trade or lend me their razor for a few weeks?

Thanks!

26 1,758
 02-14-2015, 06:35 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I second Chris at razorplate as well, he's got a great touch to plating and even photo documents it for you along the way. Highly recommended as I sent 3 razor to him a while ago and plan to do so again this year.... I believe I was reading he's severely backlogged right now bc this is a true hobby for him and does it when he has time, I think he's holding off on taking new work till he can get his turn around time to something shorter, just FYI bc I think I read it on B&B recently... It's a great choice none the less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 1,336
 02-14-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
I just got my New Improved and New Deluxe heads back from Chris today.  I am very pleased with his work. 

I am thinking about sending a Barbasol Floating Head razor to him next.

I also have had work done by Cooncat Bob and Razor Emporium.

18 591
 02-15-2015, 09:55 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I contacted Chris at Razorplate and he says he is not taking in new orders for the time being. He is working through his backlog. It is commendable that he does not compromise his standards and would rather limit the volume. He says he'll resume taking orders once he is through the backlog and I can totally understand that. I will wait, as it sounds like he is a master of what he does and it will be worth the wait. I have heard horror stories about Razor Emporium and will not risk sending my difficult to replace Big Fellow there. I would rather use it as is with bare brass showing (which is not that bad, actually as brass does not corrode).

Dale, do you think you could post some pictures of your re-plates from Razorplate? It would be good to see, though I am sure they came out well.

Thanks!

26 1,758
 02-15-2015, 10:36 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 06:51 PM)PanChango Wrote: I just got my New Improved and New Deluxe heads back from Chris today.  I am very pleased with his work. 

Chris at razorplate.com is the best of the best at this time.  Unfortunately, he is overloaded and is not taking new orders 'til he can work through his backlog.  He's replated several of my razors (40 Regent Tech in Rhodium and another in Gold among others) and his work stands up to that by Krona and onotoman (Dave Glynn), if not surpassing them in his quality and attention to detail.

Are you aware that the Barbasol FH razors are originally plated in Chrome?  Chris can strip and replate it in Chrome but it is extra effort (and a few $$$ more) but worth it.

3 78
 02-15-2015, 10:41 AM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 09:25 AM)vferdman Wrote: I have a vintage Gillette that can really use a re-plate. It is a 1922 Big Boy (or big Fellow) with a New Improved head. It was originally gold plated, but most of the original plating wore off. It is solid brass on all parts and is an amazing razor for me. In fact, I've been using it exclusively for almost a year now and it's become like a pair of old comfy slippers. I can shave with it in a dark, I think. In any case, I am looking for a good quality nickel plating on this razor. The gold look is great, but nickel always appealed to me more than other plating options. I do not like chrome so much, gold is nice, but too soft and wears out easily. Rhodium is expensive, though I may consider it. Nickel seems the most cost effective and nice looking options. there used to be vendors that did this, but lately I have not seen much activity.

If anyone around does this or knows of someone who does, let me know.

Thank in advance!

I also have a Gold Big Boy (Big Fellow is slightly different) and they are beautiful.  Chris at razorplate.com can strip the remaining original plating off and replate it in whatever you would like.   Not sure your source on gold wearing out easily and a newly re-plated razor in gold by Chris will outlast you and be a nice heirloom to boot!

There are numerous discussions on replating and keeping it as original as possible which, in this case, would argue for gold.  Nickel would be the least expensive but having a Rhodium coating over the nickel base would make it spectacular.  I wouldn't think of Chrome on this razor - really only appropriate if the original was Chrome as a Barbasol Floating Head would be.

Good luck in your decision making.

3 78
 02-15-2015, 11:25 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Chris has told me he doesn't offwr chrome replating

17 447
 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM
User Info
(02-15-2015, 09:55 AM)vferdman Wrote: Dale, do you think you could post some pictures of your re-plates from Razorplate? It would be good to see, though I am sure they came out well.

Thanks!

Here you go.  My photography skills are pretty weak, so I apologize for the photos.  The New Improved had a lot more wear and still shows some character. 

I am very happy with them.

[Image: Chris1a_zpsj3odgt8w.jpg]

[Image: Chris1_zpsmhxfq3dp.jpg]

18 591
 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
(02-15-2015, 10:36 AM)mikemullin6 Wrote:
(02-14-2015, 06:51 PM)PanChango Wrote: I just got my New Improved and New Deluxe heads back from Chris today.  I am very pleased with his work. 

Are you aware that the Barbasol FH razors are originally plated in Chrome?  Chris can strip and replate it in Chrome but it is extra effort (and a few $$$ more) but worth it.

Yeah, Thanks.

I knew it was chrome, but I prefer warm yellowish glow of nickel over the cold blue of chrome.

Mine isn't that bad so I'll probably not do much of anything other than use it for the near future.

18 591
 02-15-2015, 02:51 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Dale, those look great! Thanks for posting the pictures.

--
Vladimir

26 1,758
 02-17-2015, 04:33 AM
User Info
Here's my Big Boy Hybrid I collected from my local platers today. Plated in 24ct Gold. I'm in the UK so I suppose it doesn't help much but the platers I use offer a range of finishes. http://www.alphaelectroplaters.co.uk/

[Image: 072625.jpg]

[Image: 072722.jpg]

0 875
 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Dale, thanks for posting the pics, they look great! If you don't mind me asking, when did you send Chris your razors? He received my Red Tip on January 5th, and I'm hoping to get it back in a week or two. I emailed him last week and he said he was working on jobs that came in last week of December. Man, I am stoked!

7 2,359
 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM
User Info
(02-17-2015, 06:18 PM)chazt Wrote: Dale, thanks for posting the pics, they look great! If you don't mind me asking, when did you send Chris your razors? He received my Red Tip on January 5th, and I'm hoping to get it back in a week or two. I emailed him last week and he said he was working on jobs that came in last week of December. Man, I am stoked!

He received them December 26th. He did a nice job for a reasonable price.

18 591