02-14-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
So I just wandered through the shave section of WalMart. I saw the OneTouch that Rick Harrison was pitching. That isnt the issue. What I have issue with is the 10 pack of blades sitting next to it with the same wrapper as the razor (to show consumers they go together) was an astounding $7.88.

Really WalMart? Why do you have to do this to us?

Just 2 yrs ago you were selling Wilk Sword 10 pack blades for $1.75, you pull them off the shelves for a few yrs, then try to feed us this crap?

I think most know that the one touch blades are re-boxed Dorco 300s and are, at best, single use blades. And while the Wilk Swords werent top of the line, a user could get 4 decent shaves out of a single blade before changeout.

I know the reasons why all of this stuff has to happen, so it doesnt have to be explained to me. But that doesnt mean I have to like it. Especially when an unsuspecting new or current DE user stops in for blades and doesnt realize how bad they are being gouged.

8 169
 02-14-2015, 01:19 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
When I was at beginning of my journey and I did not know where to buy stuff I went to Selfridges in London and they had Merkur Razors, TOBS Shaving line and Brushes in decent price  but what put me off was Merkur Blades (pack of 10 blades) for £8 !

I know your feeling!

11 881
 02-14-2015, 01:41 PM
User Info
This post might be more appropriate in the 'Complaint Department':  http://shavenook.com/forum-complaint-department

89 21,239
 02-14-2015, 01:52 PM
User Info
I haven't seen those razors in my local walmart yet...I could have missed them though.

40 5,829
 02-14-2015, 02:42 PM
User Info
There is a very simple solution to this problem! www.amazon.com You can buy God knows how many wonderful blades online and if you are a Prime member (well worth the cost by the way!) you can have them delivered to you in 48 hours. Don't waste your time shopping for blades at Walmart. I can understand your frustration but direct it to a more worthy subject like world hunger. In the meantime order you up some inexpensive blades online! :-)

1 44
 02-14-2015, 02:44 PM
User Info
Fleabay is another source for blades, especially from across the pond.

1 125
 02-14-2015, 05:19 PM
  • SciTX
  • Houston, TX Area
User Info
I just ordered 100 Rapira Platinum Lux of the bay...shipped to Houston for less than $10

100 Astra SP are $11 shipped on Amazon

both have become my regular daily blades along with Feathers

0 62
 02-14-2015, 05:22 PM
User Info
Yea, finding blades isnt a problem for me as I'm well established. I was speaking from the perspective of knowing what are good blades and how much they are selling those for, and how it could turn away more men and women if they thought $7.88 was the going rate for our DE blades, yet I know without looking I could find a box of 100 Personna lab blues for $13.00 +/- $1.00. 

I just hate it when I see a big entity like WalMart try to cash in on a trending market like this. I know that those of us who shave with DE are a much smaller group that the cart shavers but most of us who have converted did so because the cost for the cart werent justified. The same analogy could almost be applied to the $7.88 10 pack of single use sub par blades.  

8 169
 02-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I'm not w-mart person; but objectively speaking, they are in business to make a profit. I do however agree with your points. Caveat emptor.

10 3,314
 02-15-2015, 12:01 PM
User Info
And the Gillette Atra blades go for around $18 at Walmart where they used to be $5.  You got to be a savvy shopper.

145 14,008
 02-15-2015, 06:51 PM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 11:55 AM)Olschoolsteel Wrote: So I just wandered through the shave section of WalMart. I saw the OneTouch that Rick Harrison was pitching. That isnt the issue. What I have issue with is the 10 pack of blades sitting next to it with the same wrapper as the razor (to show consumers they go together) was an astounding $7.88.

Really WalMart? Why do you have to do this to us?

Just 2 yrs ago you were selling Wilk Sword 10 pack blades for $1.75, you pull them off the shelves for a few yrs, then try to feed us this crap?

I think most know that the one touch blades are re-boxed Dorco 300s and are, at best, single use blades. And while the Wilk Swords werent top of the line, a user could get 4 decent shaves out of a single blade before changeout.

I know the reasons why all of this stuff has to happen, so it doesnt have to be explained to me. But that doesnt mean I have to like it. Especially when an unsuspecting new or current DE user stops in for blades and doesnt realize how bad they are being gouged.

How much was the razor?

0 1,181
 02-15-2015, 09:32 PM
User Info
Honestly Brian I cant remember 100%. I remember it looked like a chrome covered piece of potmetal. I think it was in the range of 18 bucks or so. Not too terribly bad I suppose for something "new". A standard TTO type made in the same fashion it seems as every other TTO made since 2000. 

I am a bit biased though as my newest razor is a Schick Krona, or the black (plastic) tip super speed. 

8 169
 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
User Info
I love my Krona and my Super Speed.  I inherited the Krona and paid $.99 for the Super Speed.  I think maybe that's why I gravitate to vintage razors - the value can be outstanding.

0 1,181
 02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
User Info
I agree Brian. I dont think the quality of the shave from a brand x modern razor would be any different from a un-molested vintage model. Given that prices for user-grade vintage are quite reasonable, I personally dont feel any urge to buy a new design/model. While I can appreciate their design and sometimes beautiful aesthetics, I cant talk myself into buying any modern production razors.

8 169