02-14-2015, 03:30 PM
User Info
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the ink well. I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen. I'm thinking about the Parker IM.

http://www.ebay.com/....item566c314af6

I am very much open to suggestion on my first fountain pen. Looking to keep it around $40 and something along the lines of the Parker IM in aesthetics. I'd like the pen to have clean lines black, sliver, or dark grey or a combination. some grip lines like the IM to give a little character would be a plus.

Also I am aware that this is a cartidge pen, I'm open to trying a piston pen and in that case would like a recommendation for a nice black ink that wont break the bank. Thanks guys! I really appreciate any guidance you can give me.

I'm thinking about purchasing this Rhodia notebook as well if anyone has any experience with it:

http://www.amazon.co....I32TD9KJVDJKS2

6 56
 02-14-2015, 10:25 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Ink Well. Smile Take a look at xfountainpens.com.  I really like their Nemosine fountain pens. They are cartridge/converter so you would have the best of both ink worlds. I love the nibs on these pens and you get to pick which style of nib you want. I have found xfountainpens a reliable company to do business with and their prices are quite reasonable.

Another site to go to for pens, paper, and especially for ink is gouletpens.com. The Goulets have created more than a web site for purchases but also a wonderful reference library of inks, nibs, pens, and their characteristics. You can look up inks by color (they sell more than six hundred) and read user reviews. They are a very reliable and helpful company and the way they package goods for shipment is second to none.

Rhodia paper is superb, in my opinion, and I don't think you can go wrong with it. Good luck on whatever pen, ink, and paper you choose and let us know what you decide. 

2 11,211
 02-15-2015, 01:05 PM
User Info
(02-14-2015, 03:30 PM)Shubes Wrote: Hi Guys,

This is my first post in the ink well. I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen. I'm thinking about the Parker IM.

http://www.ebay.com/....item566c314af6

I am very much open to suggestion on my first fountain pen. Looking to keep it around $40 and something along the lines of the Parker IM in aesthetics. I'd like the pen to have clean lines black, sliver, or dark grey or a combination. some grip lines like the IM to give a little character would be a plus.

Also I am aware that this is a cartidge pen, I'm open to trying a piston pen and in that case would like a recommendation for a nice black ink that wont break the bank. Thanks guys! I really appreciate any guidance you can give me.

I'm thinking about purchasing this Rhodia notebook as well if anyone has any experience with it:

http://www.amazon.co....I32TD9KJVDJKS2

Welcome to the Ink Well. Great place for info and help. Freddie is a font of information and I second his opinion of Goulet and Rhodia.

My wife has a Cross Coventry It is a nice introductory fountain pen. It comes with 2 grip sections containing a fine and a medium nib. It is an easy way to change nibs. And you can see which you prefer. It comes in a variety of finishes. All look elegant enough for work. My wife uses the medium nib and likes it. She does not like fine nibs in general so she has never tested the Coventry one. The link is to Amazon but my wife found it originally at Staples. It does NOT come with a converter and takes the Cross green one. A converter is a device that allows you to use bottled inks.

There are many intro level pens. I have an Ohto Dude I like this pen. A great writer and good for every day use. It comes in 4 colors but I personally do not think it looks as elegant as the Parker you are considering.

For a little more money I would recommend the Retro 51 Tornado series. I have the Lincoln EXT. It also comes in a nickle finish that is very sharp. The Tornado is one of my favorite writers and performs well above its' price point.

Good luck and have fun.

Phil

7 363
 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM
User Info
Well, I've got good news and bad news -- the bad news is that my best advice for a first fountain pen will probably cost about twice your stated budget.

The good news is that my recommendation is a splendid pen that you will never regret buying (heirloom quality).

It's the Pelikan M150 Fountain Pen and it is a piston feed beauty. Choose your nib (I like medium) and any ink at all as long as it is indeed fountain pen ink.

[Image: O25yaCu.jpg?1]
As has probably been mentioned countless times before, you don't want to use any drawing ink, India ink, toner ink -- nada but fountain pen ink.

regarding piston converters -- I've had bad luck with them (leaking) but any fountain pen is vulnerable under duress; airplane pressure changes can cause even the best behaved fountain pens to barf.
~Caveat Emptore~
Euro

5 395
 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
User Info
Thank you very much for you replies gentleman. I am now looking to purchase either the sheaffer 100 or the Parker IM.  I think I'm aslo going to pick uo some Diamine, noodlers, and Parker quink ink from goulet pens.

6 56
 02-16-2015, 04:43 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have a Sheaffer 100 and think it is a superb pen with a great nib, even more so at its price point.  All the best in whatever you choose.

2 11,211
 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
If you are ordering from Goulet, check out the many Goulet Favorites ink sampler packs they have available. It's a good way to try a variety of inks and many of them are on sale now.  For paper, Black n' Red notebooks are readily available and have become my favorite over the offerings from Rhodia, Clairefontaine and Moleskine.

4 194
 02-17-2015, 05:28 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Lamy Safari or Al-Star are very good value and excellent pens.  You can even change out the nib yourself.  As for ink, I'd go for Diamine or Watermans.

7 909